PDA

View Full Version : Carving too deep!

DudleyAz
07-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Okay all you Carvewright guru's... I need some help please.

I am a new Carvewright user, with only a couple of projects under my belt, but those have worked out just fine. I am trying to carve a simple plaque, with lettering and an edge route. The wood is loaded into a sled that has worked well for me before.

For some unknown reason, the very first carve of the board on this project is going WAY to deep, plunging the 1/16 carve bit almost up to the shank, which then immediately bogs down and pulls the bit out of the router... YIKES! I have tried it twice with the same results, and I am afraid to try anything again, as I don't want to damage the machine.

The machine goes through the surface finding, bit loading, and homing process with no problem. I am selecting for it to 'stay under rollers', to NOT 'cut board to size', and to center to the project. I have looked at the project file multiple times, and can't figure out why it would be plunging that deep. No cut should be more than .2 inches deep, yet it is going a full .75 at least. I have tried it with the project board thickness set accurately(.75), and even set it thinner (.68 )incase there was a problem there... same result.

One other note; I also moved the edge route from the last item carved to the first item to see if that caused a difference. After homing both bits, the machine still went directly to the 1/16 carve bit and went way to deep again??

If one of you experts (yes, I am sucking up ;) ) could take a look at the file and see if you can figure it out, I would be very gratefull!

bobtom
07-03-2009, 01:36 PM
I also have a problem with the carving bit going to deep.
Started a project today with a piece of walnut in a
fixture and the carving bit went to deep. I stopped the unit
and am trying to figure out what I did wrong.
using 0.50 thk walnut on a 0.50 pine fixture, length of
walnut is 5.00, length of fixture is 17.00

Digitalwoodshop
07-03-2009, 11:04 PM
My first thing to look at is if you have the OLD Z or the NEW Z Bundle.... The old Z had problems with the encoders and would loose pulses and the head would keep moving until it got the number of pulses it was looking for. It could go too deep while missing pulses....

The FIX... The New Z Bundle.... I am on my backup computer at the house tonight and don't have the pictures so search "New Z Bundle" or combinations of that to see pictures I posted of the Z.

Cooling fins even with the end of the encoder OLD Z....

Cooling fins Shorter than the Encoder on the back of the Z Motor = NEW Z..... You really want the NEW Z..... A Motor, Flat Cable with thicker wires, and a Circuit Board....

Call LHR....

If you have the NEW Z then it could be something as simple as wood chips in the Z belt jamming the UP Stroke....

AL

bobtom
07-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Hey Guys:

Figured out why I was so deep.
I forgot to add the sled thickness to the
project thickness.

Thanks for the help.

Bobtom