PDA

View Full Version : Getting 3D models for your carving machine.

tr0086
07-02-2009, 10:01 AM
You will need Google SketchUp and MeshLab, which both can be downloaded free of charge. Google SketchUp is free software that you can use to create 3D models of anything you like. Google also provides a vast collection of 3D images created by the community, which can be easily downloaded in your model...

Steps to Complete

1. Open SketchUp and click File -> 3D Warehouse -> Search for 3D files.

2. Click Download Model Load this directly into your Google SketchUp model? Click Yes.

3. Click File -> Export -> 3D Model.

4. Name model keeping the (kmz) extention and save to your Desktop.

5. Close Google SketchUP.

6. Rename the file extention on your Desktop to (zip).

7. Right click the zip file and choose Extract to (the name your gave the file)/.

8. You now have a folder with (the name your gave the file).

9. Open MeshLab Click File -> Desktop -> The folder in step 8 open -> models Highlight the (dae) file and click open -> OK.

10. Adjust the file in MeshLab and choose File -> Save as -> STL

Steven Alford
07-05-2009, 05:19 PM
I am wondering why you have to change the extension to .zip? Does Sketchup make your 3D file compressed? and then need to be extracted? Does not make since.

OK, now I see, it is a compresseed file. I tried this and it works great guys. This wold be a very easy way to do STL files

James RS
07-05-2009, 05:58 PM
There is a stl exporter for sketchup and it's free, sorry I don't have the link at this moment

Edit: Found it http://www.guitar-list.com/download-software/convert-sketchup-skp-files-dxf-or-stl

Steven Alford
07-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Oh, that even works better!!

rickyz
07-06-2009, 11:40 AM
3dvia has about 120 stl files. tons of 3ds and obj. files. pretty good source of 3d objects. google warehouse is also a great site if you have sketchup

Steven Alford
07-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Has anyone used this 3Dvia software? And how is it that they are available in .stl format when you can't save them that way within their software?

sk8nmike
07-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Has anyone used this 3Dvia software? And how is it that they are available in .stl format when you can't save them that way within their software?

Not everyone on the site uses their software, some use 3DS Max

dhilburn
07-07-2009, 08:32 AM
If anyone is interested
Here is a low cost 3d scanner that I found
It uses a user supplied video camera and a laser to scan in objects in 3d

http://www.intricad.com/index.html

rickyz
07-07-2009, 09:02 AM

I haven't used the 3dvia software but when you sign up you can search for specific file types. stl, obj, 3ds, etc... on the lower right there is a download button that you click on when you want a file. then you have the option to download it as the original stl file or the 3dvia model. I use the 3ds and obj. files since I have zbrush and they seem to transfer very well. hope this helps. I am definitely not a master at this so I am sure others will reply also. good luck.
Rick

dbfletcher
07-07-2009, 11:56 PM
If anyone is interested
Here is a low cost 3d scanner that I found
It uses a user supplied video camera and a laser to scan in objects in 3d

http://www.intricad.com/index.html

Here is another one... not quite as polished... but the price is right! :)

http://www.david-laserscanner.com/

Jeton
07-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Hello, I finally got my CW 2 days ago and have been playing around with it some and i saw this post on getting 3D images, so I downloaded the google software and i have a STL file now on my system, but i cannot figure out how to get it IN to the CW software...is there some other software i need to make it a PTN? or something the designer software can open?

thanks for any help

Jeton
07-12-2009, 06:11 PM
ok, i guess if i looked abit harder, i would have found the STL importer for 300 bucks lol

/sigh

really i'm just trying to figure out how i can make my own file like the bear scene for 75 bucks on the pattern depot

cnsranch
07-13-2009, 09:07 AM
really i'm just trying to figure out how i can make my own file like the bear scene for 75 bucks on the pattern depot

Making patterns takes a lot of skill, and very expensive software to make them professional - that's why they're getting the bucks for them on the Depot.

Spend some time here in the Pattern Sharing Depot - some great stuff for free.

Jeton
07-13-2009, 12:29 PM
i have a question on these patterns from the depot if someone might know

I noticed on some of these files i can bring them in to the designer and the elements to build the project are individually selectable. I tried to use the "try" button on the eagle clock project to see if i could select the eagle on the bottom and replace it with a moose but i says i have to have a license to view the project .. tho, i'm not sure why there is a "try" button if i have to buy it first lol. If anyone who has the eagle clock in the picture could tell me if it's possible to keep all the elements the same on the clock but replace it with a moose from the depot, please let me know

Thanks

mtylerfl
07-13-2009, 12:53 PM
i have a question on these patterns from the depot if someone might know

I noticed on some of these files i can bring them in to the designer and the elements to build the project are individually selectable. I tried to use the "try" button on the eagle clock project to see if i could select the eagle on the bottom and replace it with a moose but i says i have to have a license to view the project .. tho, i'm not sure why there is a "try" button if i have to buy it first lol. If anyone who has the eagle clock in the picture could tell me if it's possible to keep all the elements the same on the clock but replace it with a moose from the depot, please let me know

Thanks

Hi Jerry,

The decorative carved portion of the Wilderness Eagle Clock is all one pattern and cannot be altered or customized. I have had a few requests for a "blank" version, but haven't gotten around to making one yet.

However, I know of at least one person who used just the outline of the clock's main body as a layout guide to create his own custom version using the tools within the CarveWright Designer software. Not exactly the same as what you were asking for, but I thought that was an ingenious idea and comes close!

As far as the "Try Before You Buy" feature, it allows a person to actually see what an item looks like on their own computer before making a final decision to purchase an item. The "Try Before You Buy" is as close as one can get to seeing the "real deal" in person.

It's a rather handy feature since you can view it at any angle, rotate it, etc. to get a very good idea of the quality of the pattern, the depth, details, and so on, before you commit to making a purchase. It does not allow the person to carve the piece, of course. If you think about it, why would anyone need to buy it if it could be carved without purchasing it first?;)

Jeton
07-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Right, I can understand the not carving it out part, but it tells me i need a license when i try to view it in the designer, so i never get to view it to rotate it and see how it'd look, maybe i've got something in my settings messed up or something lol

any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks =)

mtylerfl
07-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Right, I can understand the not carving it out part, but it tells me i need a license when i try to view it in the designer, so i never get to view it to rotate it and see how it'd look, maybe i've got something in my settings messed up or something lol

Thanks =)

Sorry Jerry - I missed that. Are you running the most current version of Designer (1.150)?

liquidguitars
07-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Right, I can understand the not carving it out part, but it tells me i need a license when i try to view it in the designer, so i never get to view it to rotate it and see how it'd look, maybe I've got something in my settings messed up or something lol

I have noticed this 2, I think it has to due with your file association's. After downloading what happens if you just double click on the file.

LG

fwharris
07-13-2009, 02:57 PM
P.O.M. try feature does not let you view/load the MPC files. They must have a different license type associated with the files. The version of designer does not matter.

mtylerfl
07-13-2009, 03:19 PM
P.O.M. try feature does not let you view/load the MPC files. They must have a different license type associated with the files. The version of designer does not matter.

I could have sworn LHR told me you could preview the projects via "Try Before You Buy". I'm really lame in my knowledge of the subject, though, since I've never tried it for myself...going to do that now...

liquidguitars
07-13-2009, 03:20 PM
I tried to open one after downloading but it wanted to install software, I know my file association's. are not working due to a renaming of the software directory " my error" thinking it could be the same issue..

LG

fwharris
07-13-2009, 03:23 PM
I could have sworn LHR told me you could preview the projects via "Try Before You Buy". I'm really lame in my knowledge of the subject, though, since I've never tried it for myself...going to do that now...

Michael,

I have only tried it on a couple of them and got the same results. Maybe it has something to do with being an MPC file vs a Pattern file...

mtylerfl
07-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Well, I downloaded the "Keepsake Box Try Before you Buy" and the "Wilderness Eagle Clock Try Before You Buy".

I could open the Keepsake Box mpc's no problem - however, I could NOT open the Wilderness Eagle Clock mpc's for viewing - got the error "A License is required to view this project".

I have no idea why the Try Before You Buy is not working consistently on every project.

Jeton
07-13-2009, 04:46 PM
yes, i can open the other files that aren't POM

on a different note =)

there was a post ealier about a halo gun that she said was from the 3D warehouse, i'm curious how you get it from the scetch program into designer with all the 3D elements....or is it just being imported as a .BMP?

my youngest son saw the gun that was posted and now wants one lol

anyways, thanks for the help

liquidguitars
07-13-2009, 04:57 PM
there was a post ealier about a halo gun that she said was from the 3D warehouse, i'm curious how you get it from the scetch program into designer with all the 3D elements....or is it just being imported as a .BMP?

I would buy the STL loader.. or see if he uploaded the file to MPC..

LG