PDA

View Full Version : editing a pattern

jrose
06-30-2009, 09:27 PM
I'm looking for a way to edit/adjust a group of patterns i purchased from CW. they are set at different depths and most have an abrupt stopping point. i would like to even them out before i use them.

mtylerfl
06-30-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm looking for a way to edit/adjust a group of patterns i purchased from CW. they are set at different depths and most have an abrupt stopping point. i would like to even them out before i use them.

Hello,

I don't believe you will be able to edit purchased patterns because they are copy-protected.

Old Salt
06-30-2009, 10:05 PM
you can change some things when you put them in pattern like depth, height, size angle . invert merge with other patterns and many more fun things but you can't load in editor.:roll:

badger
06-30-2009, 10:57 PM

You can set your own depth when you place it on the board. You can also either play around with the small, med, or large draft option to see if that will make a difference.

jrose
07-01-2009, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the tips. I'll just have to sand down the problems?

cnsranch
07-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the tips. I'll just have to sand down the problems?

By "problems", are you saying that the pattern flattens at the surface of the board, and you want to round those off? If that's the case, you have your height/depth set wrong - play with those in Designer and see if that takes care of your problems.

mtylerfl
07-01-2009, 09:34 AM
I took it to mean that the patterns have a "cliff edge" (90°) steep drop off and that he wanted to round the edges so they blend more gradually into the board surface. If that is the case, depth/height adjustments won't help with that, unfortunately. However, the description is not thorough enough to really know what the actual goal is so I may have misunderstood.

cnsranch
07-01-2009, 09:39 AM
You're right, I'm not sure what the "problem" is - but if you're right, can't he use feather to fix that problem?

I don't have any purchased patterns, so I'm kind of shooting in the dark, but if he has all patterns set at the depth/height he wants, and feather is good, can he group purchased patterns and use the "make pattern" feature to set them together?

mtylerfl
07-01-2009, 12:30 PM
No - feather just places a sloped edge away from the steep edge of the pattern (going outward) - it will not "round over" or "slope" the pattern edge itself (inward).

...and, I don't believe the "make pattern" will work on copy-protected patterns.

ChrisAlb
07-01-2009, 01:02 PM
I took it to mean that the patterns have a "cliff edge" (90°) steep drop off and that he wanted to round the edges so they blend more gradually into the board surface. If that is the case, depth/height adjustments won't help with that, unfortunately. However, the description is not thorough enough to really know what the actual goal is so I may have misunderstood.

You're both right that we don't really know what the actual issue is or what the pattern quality he's using is but, I think what Jerry was saying is that by increasing the depth of the pattern in a region (or not), you can get rid of the 90 degree drop off on the edges.

Picture 1 is a pattern at it's default depth of .200 in a .25 deep region.
Picture 2 is that pattern set to .275 deep in the same .25 deep region.

Increasing the depth of the pattern "pushes" it further down into the board.

Jrose, if you could provide us with a picture or more complete description of your problem, we may be able to better help you.

cnsranch
07-01-2009, 03:02 PM
I think what Jerry was saying is that by increasing the depth of the pattern in a region (or not), you can get rid of the 90 degree drop off on the edges.

Yeah, that's what I said to meant...

ChrisAlb
07-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Yeah, that's what I said to meant...

Yeah, you meant say you what I thought I knew.

Kenm810
07-01-2009, 05:21 PM
lol" Somehow that made sence to me! :razz:

ChrisAlb
07-01-2009, 05:34 PM
lol" Somehow that made sence to me! :razz:

It's like the sentences with jumbled words that your brain can read....:roll:

Kenm810
07-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Hmmmm, Would that be left brain or right :???:

earlyrider
07-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Maybe middle brain! On wood!
Ron

ChrisAlb
07-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Maybe middle brain! On wood!
Ron

Hey I like that...LOL

Here it is back with the merged items grouped for a more even carve on the text...LOL

Kenm810
07-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Ron,

You were been way to generous with the Size :razz:

ChrisAlb
07-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Ron,

You were been way to generous with the Size :razz:

I love it when you play dumb Ken.....http://www.forexfactory.com/images/smilies/notworthy.gif......http://www.forexfactory.com/images/smilies/yim/rolling_on_the_floor.gif

Woodhacker
07-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Hey Easyrider...where'dya get that neat brain pattern???

Richard

earlyrider
07-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Chris,
thanks for using yours to improve the idea.
Ken,
I always try to be generous, even if its warrented! :mrgreen:
Woodhacker,
I found it somewhere in the Gallery with a small collection of other bits- heart,etc.
Ron

jrose
07-05-2009, 08:39 PM
sorry i was out for the 4th. i was referring to the " problem" in my pattern in a little different way. the pattern is of an Air Force rank. there are 13 in all and some of them do not show the base outline and some do. the ones that have the base area included with the pattern are cut off at the bottom and in with a flat spot instead of the radius that should be there. i can set the depth lower and make the base level disappear for all, but you loses the outline of the stripe. thanks again

Steven Alford
07-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread but a question that is relavent to this post.

What is the difference between a purchased pattern from the Pattern Store and one that you "Try before you buy".
I did a "Try" one as a test for a project and you can see it and do everything with it in your .mpc file. Does it upload to the card, or is that the limit?

fwharris
07-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread but a question that is relavent to this post.

What is the difference between a purchased pattern from the Pattern Store and one that you "Try before you buy".
I did a "Try" one as a test for a project and you can see it and do everything with it in your .mpc file. Does it upload to the card, or is that the limit?

Steve,

Do difference in the pattern from purchase or try other than the try pattern recognized by designer that it is not registered for you computer. If you open the pattern icon you should see that the pattern has a red background to it. You can do anything you want within the MPC but it will not up load to your card..

Steven Alford
07-05-2009, 11:29 PM
That is what I was afraid of. Thanks Floyd.