PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood Flooring

Woodhacker
06-29-2009, 06:40 PM
:idea: Has anyone ever tried gluing up strips of hardwood flooring and carving?? If so, is there a problem with the glue lines?

ironsides
06-29-2009, 07:25 PM
I bought a box of Hardwood Flooring with the same idea in mind. I have never gotten around to trying the glueup yet, because the individual strips make neat board for signs. Someday I will try glueing them together as you proposed.

ironsides:)

locovalley
06-29-2009, 07:26 PM
I've carved in glued up hardwood boards numerous times but not in flooring material. The problem I see is if the tounge and groove joints aren't well machined (and they usually aren't) they can leave voids which would show up in some deeper carves. My suggestion would be to remove the tounge and groove joints on a jointer and glue the pieces together to form up a wider board. This will eliminate the chance of unsightly voids and/or glue lines in the carve.

JM

ironsides
06-29-2009, 07:32 PM
.... My suggestion would be to remove the tounge and groove joints on a jointer and glue the pieces together to form up a wider board. This will eliminate the chance of unsightly voids and/or glue lines in the carve.

JM

Great suggestion Loco, that should eliminate any voids.

ironsides:)

earlyrider
06-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Unless you are getting the wood flooring free, you might be better off by buying wider boards to join. Less machine work, and better matching grain.
Ron

RayTrek
06-30-2009, 08:04 AM
I have given it a shot I picked up some Brazilian Cherry hard wood flooring unfinished for 1.80 Square foot so the price was Wright on the glued tongue and grove it was important to keep it straight that is to keep it from cupping, also no deeper carve then 0.200 or it would show the lines also put framed boarders for clean edges. I have also cut the tongue and grove off and planed the bottom glue strips out, it leaves a little over ½” thick board and works great.
A couple pixs of the kit with the T and G and one of the cut off T and G
Talk later Ray

cnsranch
06-30-2009, 09:25 AM
The attached is t&g paneling - same process as using flooring.

The tongues and grooves were cut off with the table saw, jointed, and glued together.

Works great.

Router-Jim
06-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Jerry, excellant example! :cool: