PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Duck Shelf

mtylerfl
06-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Hello,

Here is a sneak preview of the next Project of the Month - the "Wilderness Duck Shelf". This is to provide a few details beforehand so subscribers will have time to "gather" the materials, etc. if they want to do this project.

This decorative shelf depicts a Wilderness Duck scene and is both appealing and functional. The finished project dimensions are about 22" wide x 5¾" deep x 25" tall and features three gently curved shelves. The shelving unit will make an ideal place to display knick-knacks, coffee mugs, family photos, hunting photos, a duck call collection or other collectibles!

The project is carved and cut out using just the two bits that were included with your machine - no other bits are required.

Main items you will need:

1) The 3 Project Files (included)
Duck_Shelf_Top_Panel.mpc
Duck_Shelf_Two_Side_Panels.mpc
Shelf_Pattern.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:

Top Panel (1 board): .75" x 11.25" x 28½"
Side Panels (1 board): .75" x 11.25" x 26½"
Shelves (3 boards): .75" x 7.25" x 29"
Two Shelf Cleats: .5" x 7/8" x 20 3/8"
(the shelf cleats can be cut from EITHER ½" or ¾" wood stock and are NOT an mpc)

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of each board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Sandpaper, clamps, wood glue, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Wilderness Duck Shelf made from Select Pine wood...

Finish Details:
• One very light coat of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat
(2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)

• Sanded again with fine sandpaper and 3M wheels

• MinWax Stain (English Chestnut # 233)

• Four coats of MinWax water-based Satin polycrylic, spot-sanding some areas with 400-grit wet/dry sandpaper between coats.

skeeterman
06-27-2009, 08:05 PM
THAT IS AWSOME, nice work

mtylerfl
06-27-2009, 08:16 PM
THAT IS AWSOME, nice work

Thanks, skeeterman.

Say, I noticed you are looking for a duck call pattern. I don't have one, but have been asked a "zillion" times about some. If you, or anyone else has a duck call they are willing to mail to us to "sacrifice", I'll be happy to look at it, dissect it, and see if we can come up with a carving pattern and/or project. (I know NOTHING about duck calls.)

skeeterman
06-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Sure i will send one let me know where to send it,
Steve

mtylerfl
06-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Sure i will send one let me know where to send it,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Please visit http://www.carvebuddy.com/contactus.html

Our address is posted there. Looking forward to seeing what we can do with it!

(NOTE to all: I led this thread a little off topic here...go to the first message in this thread to view the details on the Wilderness Duck Shelf)

RayTrek
06-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Hello Michael
You have created another beautiful project and your finishing is elegant as always
I love it. Times are tight but I rounded up all the pennies nickels and dimes and subscribed for another year some things are worth having and for me your projects and planes are one of them “Priceless”
Cheers and Thanks for all the hard work, very appreciated.
Ray

ChrisAlb
06-28-2009, 09:06 AM
(I know NOTHING about duck calls.)

They call ducks...:razz:....LOL

Seriously Michael, another wonderful creation!!! http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

rfoster
06-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks again for another beautiful project, I too sent my money in to continue the subscription for your wonderful projects.

Richard

mtylerfl
06-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Thank you, everyone!

Digitalwoodshop
06-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Had a thought about the Duck Shelf.... A Wine Rack Version of that would be a COOL addition of the idea.:roll:

Something for 6 or 9 bottles that sits proudly on a kitchen counter....

AL

mtylerfl
06-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Had a thought about the Duck Shelf.... A Wine Rack Version of that would be a COOL addition of the idea.:roll:

Something for 6 or 9 bottles that sits proudly on a kitchen counter....

AL

Great idea, AL! (The top panel is a separate mpc by itself and could be incorporated into all sorts of shelf/rack projects.)

rhausman
07-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Michael ... received duck shelf pattern today ... looks great if I can get it to download.

Also, checked the Tips and Tricks ... got May issuance but no June and here it is, July already ... hope you don't give up on these as they are really great ... thanks, r

mtylerfl
07-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Michael ... received duck shelf pattern today ... looks great if I can get it to download.

Also, checked the Tips and Tricks ... got May issuance but no June and here it is, July already ... hope you don't give up on these as they are really great ... thanks, r

Hello,

Hope you got the download of the Wilderness Duck Shelf project!?

The Tips & Tricks June 2009 issue was sent to LHR on the evening of June 29th and is now available for download from the CarveWright website http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Jun09.pdf (it features a fun FREE project that I think most people will enjoy - in fact, I should post some pics of that project before I forget!). See pics below...

NOTE: Totally my fault for it being so late!! I told them I'm going to try to get the July issue to them before the last day of July! Hopefully, I can get back on a normal, punctual track!

PCW
07-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Michael,

Thank You for the free project and the Tips & Tricks.

mtylerfl
07-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Michael,

Thank You for the free project and the Tips & Tricks.

Thank you - it is my pleasure.

skeeterman
07-03-2009, 09:24 PM
with that awsome looking shelf i decided to join the (p.o.m.) club.
I do have a question for yall. If i wanted to use that landing mallard for somthing else, could I extract the ptn ? without messing up my P.O.M. MPC.
thanks Steve

fwharris
07-03-2009, 10:35 PM
with that awsome looking shelf i decided to join the (p.o.m.) club.
I do have a question for yall. If i wanted to use that landing mallard for somthing else, could I extract the ptn ? without messing up my P.O.M. MPC.
thanks Steve

Steve,

Great decision to sign up for the POM!!

You will not be able to extract the mallard pattern out of the MPC as it made to be a pattern in itself. When Michael designed the project he grouped the mallard, cattails and board dimensions and made them a pattern. The swirl patterns can be remove but that is it. You can add other patterns to the MPC but that is about all.

Chet67
07-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Has anyone recieved the P.O.M. yet?
I have not recieved it as of July 08/09

Chief38
07-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Got mine about the 5th of July.

thutchins
12-29-2011, 04:43 PM
I have wood that is approx 7/8 thick, when I ran the shelf project it routed but not all the way through. In all of the directions it says to use wood no smaller than whatever, does this go for thickness as well? Or do I need exactly 3/4 inch wood? I assumed that it would simply plane off what ever extra thickness there was, leaving the correct thickness at the end.
Do I need to plane it down myself?

Tom