PDA

View Full Version : I don't know who to thank

TerryT
06-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Someone had a post a while back where they were making a bench. I can't find it now. But this is what I came up with. I made templates as I built this first one to make the process go much faster with subsequent builds. The garden bench.... I already have several changes in mind for the next one and about six different designs. This should be a good seller at the home and yard shows in the spring.

brdad
06-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Wow, very nice. What kind of wood and finish did you use for the back?

TerryT
06-25-2009, 08:02 PM
The seat and back are 4/4 cedar. The legs and braces are fir. Finish is Thompsons clear deck sealer. I did play with some #209 natural and some red oak stain on the back to try and bring out the detail a little more. And Kathy did a little paint on the back also.

LollyWood
06-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Nice work T. And a good idea for spring sales events.

woodslicer
06-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Great Job Terry !! Looks Awesome. Love the Elk & background !!

fwharris
06-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Terry,

I would say it came out great for the first one and the next ones should be even better!!

The carving detail shows up very nice with your finishing and painting. Would you mind sharing some of the dimensions for the bench??

TerryT
06-26-2009, 07:36 AM
Terry,

I would say it came out great for the first one and the next ones should be even better!!

The carving detail shows up very nice with your finishing and painting. Would you mind sharing some of the dimensions for the bench??

Overall the length is 48 inches, 29 deep and 32 tall. I don't know the angles on the legs or back braces (thats what the templates are for).

I think it needs to be a little taller though, to make it look better. The board on the back is a 14 inch glue up. I'm thinking the next one may include a smaller board at the top with an additional carving on it???? And a cedar 1x on the front to cover the seat braces.

RayTrek
06-26-2009, 08:11 AM
Your project is really cool- I love the idea, and the finish and painting look great as well
Thanks for sharing with us
Cheers
Ray

Router-Jim
06-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Someone had a post a while back where they were making a bench. I can't find it now. But this is what I came up with. I made templates as I built this first one to make the process go much faster with subsequent builds. The garden bench.... I already have several changes in mind for the next one and about six different designs. This should be a good seller at the home and yard shows in the spring.

I don't know if my bench inspired your bench build, but yours turned out fantastic! Great job of carving, painting, and design. http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=5916&highlight=rustic&page=3

Jim

TerryT
06-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Well RJ, if it wasn't it sure should have been!! That is a great bench. I love the split log look. Very nice work my friend.

ChrisAlb
06-27-2009, 05:19 AM
Beautiful Terry! Nice job all around and a great idea!

mtylerfl
06-27-2009, 09:06 AM
That is a great project, Terry! Can't wait to see your other designs you're coming up with!