PDA

View Full Version : Pattern File Format & Rock Chuck

jpitz31
06-24-2009, 06:11 PM
I called Alex at LHR today and asked him if LHR would publish the specs on the pattern .ptn file. Even though I knew he would say no, I just had to ask.

I have been doing a bit of reverse engineering on the pattern file with a hex editor. Some sections are pretty easy to figure out. Other sections are a pain.

He of course indicated that it was not LHR's policy to share such information.

I did put a bug in his ear that in the software/hardware industry today it is becoming the popular trend for manufactures to have more of an open architecture, and that LHR would more than likely sell more hardware and software if they would open up their interfaces a bit and allow more third party software development.

I figured it would not hurt to try ;-).

Since I just ordered the Rock Chuck and am patiently waiting for it to arrive I asked Alex what LHR's policy was on installing the Rock Chuck on a CW that was still under warranty. He said the jury was still out and that LHR was discussing the issue.

Since my machine is still under warranty I wanted to make sure that I will not void my warranty.

Thanks

Joe

ChrisAlb
06-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Seeing how the QC isn't covered under warranty anyway, I wouldn't think it should be an issue with LHR. From all accounts, the Rock would be easier on the machine anyway...No?

And oh yea Joe, you wanted to see that Lap Steel Guitar built in Designer?

http://forum.carvewright.com//showpost.php?p=94321&postcount=1

Customer carved it and it came out pretty nice. Working on a few more designs now.

Rick P
06-24-2009, 11:08 PM
If LHR comes up with ANY kind of roadblock for people with machines under warranty and who have switched to the Rock Chuck, they will be making a HUGE mistake.

The Rock Chuck makes the CW a much better woodworking machine !!!

hess
06-25-2009, 12:05 AM
I feel that due the fact that CW has a practice of having its warranty work done by the owners thus saving $$$$.$$s each year
and not providing a warranty on a part they know is having problems ,if taken to court I wonder if things would continue to go the way they are.

I think it would be very foolish of them to now stick their head out of the cracks now. I think there are owners now getting sick of so of this

All they have out is parts that all the warranty really is is parts unless you want to pay to send it in and wait If that Warranty was looked at by legal I wonder if some $$ would be owed to some folks that have found the real problems here

Pratyeka
06-25-2009, 10:24 AM
In my dreams I see a CW with the onboard electronics replaced by off-the-shelf drivers and PC interface, bigger step-motors, all metal gears, and the Rock chuck... that would make a really solid carver.

jpitz31
06-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Pratyeka, Great minds think a like. There are so many great programs out on the market for CAM systems. I have been thinking about this myself. After the warranty is up would be a great time to upgrade controller and stepper motors.

There are 3 axis packages out there for around $500.00 that would really beef up the CW. And with an open controller you could do so much more.

You could design something in a CAD package. Export the .stl file to a CAM package which would write the g code and then cut the part for you without having to go to the trouble of having to create pattern files.

It is really worth thinking about this.

Thanks

Joe

bdehoyos
06-25-2009, 11:34 AM
I called Alex at LHR today and asked him if LHR would publish the specs on the pattern .ptn file. Even though I knew he would say no, I just had to ask.

I have been doing a bit of reverse engineering on the pattern file with a hex editor. Some sections are pretty easy to figure out. Other sections are a pain.

He of course indicated that it was not LHR's policy to share such information.

I did put a bug in his ear that in the software/hardware industry today it is becoming the popular trend for manufactures to have more of an open architecture, and that LHR would more than likely sell more hardware and software if they would open up their interfaces a bit and allow more third party software development.

I figured it would not hurt to try ;-).

Since I just ordered the Rock Chuck and am patiently waiting for it to arrive I asked Alex what LHR's policy was on installing the Rock Chuck on a CW that was still under warranty. He said the jury was still out and that LHR was discussing the issue.

Since my machine is still under warranty I wanted to make sure that I will not void my warranty.

Thanks

Joe

If something fail on the machine like the board sensor that is cover by the warranty, why would you disclose to LHR that you have the rock?

Just a question

jpitz31
06-25-2009, 12:06 PM
bdehoyos

I asked Alex about LHR's Warranty and if installing it would void the warranty.

Just because I purchased the Rock does not mean I will install it. If it will void the warranty I will wait until the CW goes out of warranty before i put it on.

disclosure and ownership in itself does not void warranties ;-)

If LHR makes the decision that installing the rock will void the warranty then I can (read between the lines) not install the chuck.

Thanks

Joe

TurtleCove
12-24-2009, 11:27 PM
Joe, just wondering if you've gotten any further with figuring out the .ptn file format?

I'm just getting back into using my machine, and trying to figure out what's the best format for logo's, that will import cleanly.