PDA

View Full Version : Error 398

djn
03-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Finally got a chance to play for the first time today.

My first two sample projects worked perfectly and as expected. Then, I vacuumed-out the entire workspace. I placed the next board in, loaded up the next project and, when the machine attempted to measure the board, I received an error directing me to "Clear Board Sensor"

Checking the manual directed me toward more vacuuming, more blowing, more wiping between several more false starts until, finally the board was measured and I completed two more projects (vacuuming between each). I'm still not quite sure what "worked".

Now, each time I place a new board, I select "Option 7" before even loading a project. Generally, I receive "Error 398" - Edge Detection Failure. The only time I'm able to consistently get a measurement (and a project) to work is by rebooting the maching with the rollers locked in place. This forces a "roller check" test before any work and following that, I'm usually able to proceed without any issues.

Please note, I've tried the same process using many different dimensions of boards and encounter the same issues regardless of the size or thickness.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
--djn

edited: fixed typos

Dan-Woodman
03-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Hey djn
When I first got my machine I had trouble with the rollers not having enough presure on the wood. somtimes I have to push down on the bar that holds the head while cranking the head down. also make sure there's no sawdust around the brass roller next to the guide bar, thats what tells the computor the wood is down against the track. hope some of this helps. Daniel

djn
03-13-2006, 08:54 AM
I'll give that a try tonight. Thanks, Dan!

The original impression I got was that the edge sensor (located on the underside of the carving head) was the one having difficulties. And, since I'm not sure how the edge sensor works, I'm not really sure what it wants me to clear. I've thoroughly wiped-down the black rails assuming detects contrast or something and vacuumed/blowed every bit of sawdust I can find. But nothing is consistently working.

--djn

cmorlier
03-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Hi djn,

It sounds like you have it right: the board sensor is on the bottom of the larger, horizontally-moving truck. It works by reflecting infrared light off of the board to "see" the edges. A build up of dust on the sensor can cause it to have trouble "seeing" the board.

As Dan suggested, if the rollers are not compressed completely when you load the board, then there may be some issues. This is because we use the rollers to optimize the measurement of the board. We also use the rollers to remember the board so that we don't have to perform redundant measurements.

A few users have reported a problem similar to what you have encountered, where they have to reboot the machine between projects before it will measure a board. This seems to be a problem with the remember board logic, and we are working on reproducing the problem here.

Dan-Woodman
03-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Hey Chris
I talked to a (Chris) late one evening about my machine telling me to load board,you mentioned to try a digital scale to see how many lbs. of presure I was getting on the rollers. I did this several days ago and got only 59-60 lbs. I have been using it ,only by pushing down on the bar that the head is on. Today I'm still only geting 59lbs. You mentioned maybe a stiffer spring in the clutch . Do you think thats what I need?
Daniel

djn
03-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Well, thank you Dan! Applying pressure while cranking the head down seems to consistently work. I was able to measure several different pieces of wood without any edge detection errors. Unfortunately, I did need to power-cycle between each board, but it was definitely working once again.

...however...

Now, the bit is consistently drifting to the left (all the way through the left edge of the board) during operation. Each pass seems to move the bit about 1/16" further to the left, resulting in an angled side to what's supposed to be a square.

I've stopped the machine before it goes too far beyond the wood. And I'm guessing I would've seen the "Y Axis Stall" error had I let it continue. So, I looked at the advice in that thread here, as well. All of the screws on the head appear as tight as can be. And, I've confirmed that my depth flag is in place and functional.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
--djn

cmorlier
03-14-2006, 11:11 AM
The compression force is an issue that several customers have reported and that we are investigating.

As part of our testing of the machines, we verify that the compression force is set at 80 lbs. However, we have discovered that after shipping the force may be reduced.

If you have encountered this problem, please contact us directly so that we can resolve the issue and make your machine work as it should.