PDA

View Full Version : Cuts are not centered using jig

glassocean
06-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Hey guy's
I'm using a 20"x14" sled with a 6" cut out in the dead center. I insert 6" blanks, for projects that vary from 3.5" up to 5.25". The machine does not center the cuts as it should. It does ask however.
When I upload the project to the card, it does ask me for jig options and I select "manual jig". I'm not sure that is right but believe it to be.
Also when creating these projects the board dimensions do vary and are usually not created at 6"x6". They may be 6x8 or any similar diameter. I don't know it that is a problem?

By the way, the machine cuts thru HDPE with ease.

Jeff

ChrisAlb
06-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Hi Jeff,

It would be helpful to see the file you made but, is the design locked to center both ways?

You can just press ignore when asked about the jig. If you're telling the CW to center on width and length and your design is in the center of the board in Designer that should do it.

Perhaps you can answer a question for me. What the heck is HDPE?? LOL

glassocean
06-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Hi Chris,
Here is the file, and it is not centered either way. I position the outer cutout portion to a set distance from the edge. This allows me to put the drill holes exactly where I want them.

I do want it centered on the jig, so I would use the manual jig setting, but it must be offset from my original design.

HDPE is, High-density polyethylene aka star board. It's a heavy non porus plastic.

Thanks
Jeff

ChrisAlb
06-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Hi Chris,
Here is the file, and it is not centered either way. I position the outer cutout portion to a set distance from the edge. This allows me to put the drill holes exactly where I want them.

I do want it centered on the jig, so I would use the manual jig setting, but it must be offset from my original design.

HDPE is, High-density polyethylene aka star board. It's a heavy non porus plastic.

Thanks
Jeff

That would be the reason then Jeff. The CW is cutting it exactly where you have it set up on the "virtual" board. With your blank in the center of the sled, when you tell it to center the design, it's centering in your sled, the "off center" design you made.

If your blank is in the center of your sled, then the design has to be in the center of the board.

I find it's always easiest to work from the center lines of the board. Then, if you need to move it all, simply group all the elements and move them all together. You'll have to remove any attachments first before grouping them or the group won't move.

In this file I removed all the attachments, grouped everything together and moved (by eye) the group to the center. This would carve in the middle of your blank and whether you say Manual or Ignore to the jig question matters not. Your sled is obviously bigger than the carve and as long as you tell the CW to center both ways and your blank is centered on the sled, it will work fine.

Thanks for the answer on the material...http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif I learn something new everyday...:mrgreen:

EDIT: I should add Jeff that if you need a specific amount of space around the design, you'll need to set the board size properly so the design is still centered but has the required space all the way around it.

glassocean
06-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Chris,
Thanks a bunch for your help. One dumb question is: How exactly do you remove attachments? I assume you are referring to centering the piece as an attachment? Of course when I move the outer cut area, the holes stay put.:confused:

Jeff

ChrisAlb
06-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Jeff,

The only dumb question is one that's not asked...LOL

To remove the attachments simply right click on the yellow number and pick "Remove Attachment". Unfortunately, you'll have to do them all one at a time. I've been asking for a "global" attachment release since version 1.120 but, nothing as of yet...LOL

glassocean
06-22-2009, 04:40 PM
I figured it out before I read your post, but thanks.

Good thing I didn't have to take an aptitude test before I bought this thing:mrgreen:

Jeff