PDA

View Full Version : MTyler OverHang Picture

mostlycold
06-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Michael (and others),

I have followed the T&T for overhang picture carving and have attached the mpc below. The followoing things varied for me from the original instructions and I had a couple of questions.

When I created my rectangle in PS3, it asked if I wanted Interlaced or Non-Interlaced, I knwo what that means in terms of video output, but does either selection matter for purposes of this use? The artwork was in electronic png format, it was B&W 207K 8300+ x 7600+ in size. When the rectangle and artwork were saved in designer, both were dropped once and floor unchecked to take out the background. Once dragged onto the board, recommended settings of height 999 and depth .3 were set for the native symbols and a .3 depth was set for the rectangle and feathering set to none. After selecting all, applied outline tool and much of the internal parts of the symbols (that did not overlap the rectangle) had dotted lines inside - manually deleted all dotted outlines that were not on the outside edge of the objects. When using the 3D viewer, carving looks like pierce carving done with a drill bit - all straight up and down cuts - was looking for a light and smooth carve on the top of the surface. When carve region and or bit optimization was selected, the artwork disappeared from the screen. What I am trying to achiveve is what looks like the dingbat carve of the native symbols (or a bit and depth that would achieve the same look) - can't use the dingbat method due to the object manipulation required by this process. Hope any of this is making sense?

To qualify for the forum, your directions in the T&T were terrific. When I used an oval and then overlayed a rose - it worked exactly as you described in the tutorial. The above issues happened when I attempted to apply a more complicated piece of artwork to this process. So this is me having the problem and not your instructions.

I live in ALaska so these type of native carvings are pretty popular. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx,
Dan

ChrisAlb
06-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Hi Dan,

Not 100% sure what you're after but if it's a "light" carving effect on your artwork....

I changed the depth to .07 and the height is fine at 100 (no need to be 999)
Also, I removed the rectangle to get rid of the holes in your artwork around it's edge.

Also, un-checking the "floor edges" option has nothing to do removing the background. Just lowering it as you did does that. The floor edges is used to create an even bottom (or floor) around an image that has varying shades of pixels and is rough around it's edge. Most commonly used to produce a smooth merge at the patterns bottom in a carved region.

Is this any closer to what you want?

mostlycold
06-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Chris,

That's alot closer than I came. The rectangle was part of the tutorial, but looks like it doesn't have to be there. Any way to change the bit? I am still trying to achieve a centerline effect on the artwork at a shallow depth. Another thing I thought about was that the original artwork looks like photo ready black and white and I may need to go back into PS3 and apply greyscale shading to allow for some depth variation before I convert into designer. Thank you for the file, better than what I had, but not quite what I'm trying for.

Dan

HighTechOkie
06-21-2009, 02:12 PM
When I created my rectangle in PS3, it asked if I wanted Interlaced or Non-Interlaced, I knwo what that means in terms of video output, but does either selection matter for purposes of this use? The artwork was in electronic png format, it was B&W 207K 8300+ x 7600+ in size.

Interlaced graphics are primarily used for web graphics for people using dialup internet to see the image as the data is being transmitted rather than having to wait for the entire image to download.

I suspect part of your problem is with the high resolution of your original graphic. Designer is basically limited to 128ppi (points per inch). So your graphic at 8300+x7600+ would need to be carved at 65" x 59" to maintain the detail. At 4.75"x4", the scaled pattern in Designer is roughly 0.5% of the original size and thus most of the detail is lost. Try to resize the png to roughly 600 x 500 before importing it into Designer. Most likely you will need to convert the image to a vector format before you resize to keep the detail, and then save as a png to import into Designer.

If you can post the original graphic (you probably will need to zip it first), myself or one of the other's on here can help you out.

Do you have Centerline? If so, I can convert the graphic into a font for you.

Rob

mostlycold
06-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Rob,

Thanx - I think you might have the solution there! Yes, I have Centerline as well as font software to make the dingbats from the artwork - just thought the Text boxes might be harder to manipulate than designer (so I will try that). The high res on the artwork also kept locking up Andys EZCarve software. I know I've seen the discusion before, so if I set my PS3 software to output the png file to 600 x 500 "d"pi, am I doing the same thing as "p"pi, or do I need to look for another setting in the software?

Thank again for your help,
Dan

HighTechOkie
06-21-2009, 05:04 PM
dpi=ppi for the purposes of this discussion. Printers use dots, monitors uses pixels and CNCs use points :).

The 600x500 recommendation was assuming 128dpi and design size of 4.75" x 4".

Rob