PDA

View Full Version : Question? Font Size

Mike Witt
06-18-2009, 09:51 AM
I am attempting to make a three part sign, Visualize three boards hanging vertically with screw eye hooks.
My question is making he actual size of the lettering the same on all three boards, there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the font size in the software with the exception of grid alignment which is a real PITA for my old eyes.
This sign will hang in my doctors office so it has to be as close as it can be.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance

Mike

DocWheeler
06-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Mike,

This has been batted around before, as you probably know.

You said that the boards are vertical, are they separate signs?
I had a thought, even though the letters may be broken up into individual lines (hence not being assured that all lines are set to the same size), perhaps you could type ALL the text at once and use that as an "overlay" for the individual lines to check them each for size.

Just a thought.

Mike Witt
06-18-2009, 10:16 AM
The signs will hang Horizontally with each sign having 3 lines of text,
I know that each will be entered as all three lines and centered as needed
that keeps each sign the same font size, I guess that the only way I see is to use the grid layout to get the font size as near as possible on each board.
It would be a lot easier if the font size were adjustable.
Thanks for your input and I was just hoping that I was overlooking something
Well, Back to the grindstone

Have a good one

Mike

DocWheeler
06-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Mike,

I am not sure that you understood what I wsa saying.

In the attachment below, this is what I was talking about.
Make one text string of three lines (pressing enter) and size that to the size of the sign (I think that is possible, forgot to check).
Then retype the text for the sign that you are creating and overlay the first text over (or near) it for sizing.
You can copy the full text tsring from project to project for each board keeping it sized as it was in the first mpc.

I hope this makes sense to you (and works for you).

cnsranch
06-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Mike - take a look at the pic below.

Each of those lines are separate lines of text. If you create your line of text, and manually change the height (each one of those are 1" high) and let the length adjust itself, your text will match.

Here's the caveat - the largest letter or symbol will be 1" high, so on the line where there is a parenthesis, the para is 1" high, making the other letters smaller than the other lines of text. If the para weren't there, the text would match.

And if one line is all caps, and another line doesn't have any caps ( or all small letters like a,b,c, and none such as h,l,f) you could have a matching problem.

If you can, run test lines of all your text on one virtual board like I did below, you can better see if you'll have a problem when you design the actual projects.

Ain't that right, Doc?

DocWheeler
06-18-2009, 10:50 AM
I think so Jerry,

What I was trying to do was to automatically correct for changes in size for Caps and descenders by having the entire text in one text-string and sizing that to the total sign and then just overlaying it on each mpc to check the size of the individual text on it.

My head is feeling a little fuzzy thinking about this - I hope it is understandable.

cnsranch
06-18-2009, 11:00 AM
I like the word "descender" it better hits what I was trying to say.

You're also right - if one line has a descender, and the others don't, my way won't work. So, the moral is, if your customer's name is "good guys", make them change it to "bad men", you'll be ok :p

DocWheeler
06-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Jerry, you're bad:p

Kenm810
06-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Hmmmmm,

Horizontal signs hanging Vertically by eye hooks,
or are they the other way around???

Mike Witt
06-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Ken
Just like your picture

Top Board will say -- INVEST IN YOURSELF
INVEST IN
GOOD HEALTH

Center Board will Say -- SO YOU CAN
ACHIEVE SUCCESS
BETTER YET

Bottom Board will say -- SO YOU CAN
ENJOY IT!

I really appreciate the assistance from everyone

Mike

cnsranch
06-18-2009, 01:57 PM
If all the text is in caps like you show, use my method and you'll be fine.

Kenm810
06-18-2009, 02:29 PM
I think you got it now. :wink:

Digitalwoodshop
06-18-2009, 02:32 PM
You can type your text and for example in the signs below I set the text height to 2 inches for a uniform text height. I sometimes stretch or shrink the text to fit my requirement.

Just select the text line and change the height above by typing it in.

AL

Mike Witt
06-18-2009, 03:10 PM
You guys are great helpers!!!!

Thanks a million

Mike