PDA

View Full Version : Need tip clarification

Rocky
06-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Sometime last month I saved some CW tips (I think from this forum). There were some good tips in what I saved. However, on one of the tips I need some help understanding it. Here's the tip:

"Add the lubrication of the C Clip on the back of the Y Motor Gear. This is the big plastic gear that the belt is driven with, the cog gear. On the back side of the gear box is the shaft from that gear held by a C Clip. That is a Sleeve Bearing and when it gets DRY it starts rapid wear of the shaft and bearing. A Drop of oil on that C Clip once a month will extend your Y Gear Box Life. I see that as a next after market upgrade, using bearings rather than the sleeve bearing. The Y gearbox takes allot of abuse in the carving process.
Keep your old Z Motors from the New Z Bundle Upgrade, if you have them, as the Gear Box fits the Y and I have used this cheap fix a few times."

I'm trying to figure out what and where I should lubricate. Any help will be appreciated. Photos would be nice, too. :)

Thanks,

earlyrider
06-18-2009, 10:02 AM
On the back side of the Y and Z motor gearbox(s) is the c-clip which keeps the large white gear from moving back and forth. Just a drop of oil on the c-clip will wick into the sleeve and slow down the wear on the gear's shaft.
Ron

DocWheeler
06-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Rocky,

Al wrote about that (as you probably guessed) and he was talking about where the shaft for the large diameter gear sticks through back of the Y and Z gear-cases. A little oil there helps.

Kenm810
06-18-2009, 10:53 AM
A Quote from our friend “AL Who”

Remove the C Clip on the back of the big gear.
Look at the Bushing and shaft of the big gear. Is there slop, will it wobble? Is the bushing worn?..

This shaft on the big gear was worn. It was SLOPPY.... Used a old Z Motor Gear box to fix it.

I see this bearing to someday be roller bearings. TOO much stress on the sleeve.

I also add the back of the C Clip and shaft of the Y gear box to my lube list with 3 in one oil

Rocky
06-19-2009, 06:30 AM
I feel like a "goober", but I am having a difficult time locating the subject "C" clip, and, thus locating where to oil. I'm usually able to locate things on my CW, but I'm not having much success now.

Thanks,

Kenm810
06-19-2009, 07:34 AM
Located at the back of the Gear Box.

hess
06-19-2009, 09:11 AM

Hey Ken whats the tape for?

Hess

Digitalwoodshop
06-19-2009, 09:18 AM
That was my picture I believe. I saw the flat cable on the Z was hitting the cooling fins of the Y so I put tape on the fins. Later I saw I really did not need it.

AL

Kenm810
06-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Hess,

Digitalwoodshop, "AL Who" has a wealth of photos showing the innards and structures of the CW/CC Machines everyone can find on the Forum.
They sure help finding and exlpaining parts, while servicing these little Carving Wonders! :wink:

Rocky
06-19-2009, 09:35 AM

Ken, thanks. I located it and oiled it.

PCW
06-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Ken

I think Al is going by "AL Who" Maytag Repairman now a days.

Kenm810
06-19-2009, 09:48 AM
"LOL"

When it comes to breaking down these machines,
and putting them back together again.

"AL Green Dot http://forum.carvewright.com/images/statusicon/user_online.gif" is my Hero!!

PCW
06-19-2009, 10:05 AM
You got that right and we would be lost without him.

DocWheeler
06-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Rocky,

The C clip may be a thing-of-the-past at this time as mine does not have one either. The designs are changed as problems are resolved - a good thing.

Rocky
06-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Rocky,

The C clip may be a thing-of-the-past at this time as mine does not have one either. The designs are changed as problems are resolved - a good thing.

Mine looks like the photo posted by Ken, so I guess I have a c-clip. I bought my CW last August. Thanks for the feedback.

Digitalwoodshop
06-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Ken, thanks. I located it and oiled it.

Long Live your Y Gear Box !!!!!:p

AL Who...

I have had 3 requests about what the AL "who" thing is all about....?

It came from the question about Bit Length where I mentioned that Jeff or Liquid Guitar could call LHR and ask the top and get the answer. If I called the furthest I could get is Customer Service.... AL Who? even with 3000 posts. :cool:

cnsranch
06-19-2009, 11:05 AM
The only thing 3000 posts will get you is a helluva lot of fence in my neck of the woods :mrgreen: