PDA

View Full Version : Squaring Plate Question

mfdchief
06-13-2009, 12:10 PM
It seems to me I read a tip or procedure on how to "square the squaring plate" somewhere. I did a search but it didn't really go into the procedure I seem to remember amd mentioned nothing about the adjustment using the graduated cam on the plate. Since I am up and running again it seems that my carve region is about 1/16 unparallel in a run of 9 inches to the edge of a square board. Did I read a tip somewhere or did I imagine it? Thanks.

Mark

roughcut
06-13-2009, 02:01 PM
http://www.carvewright.com/education/educarve/EduCarveSite_racing.htm

Above is the link to the carvewright racing system they show squaring the plate.

Digitalwoodshop
06-13-2009, 02:33 PM
I am sure you are making sure that the board is snug to the left guide as that is the key to preventing run out in length.

AL

mfdchief
06-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Roughcut,

Thank you, that is exactly what I was talking about. I was going nuts trying to remember where I saw it and thought it was maybe in the tips and tricks. I will build a jig to check the squareness and see where I'm at.

Al thanks for the responce, That was the first thing I checked and I was indeed snug against the plate. Thanks again guys.

Mark

Steven Alford
06-14-2009, 11:34 AM
http://www.carvewright.com/education/educarve/EduCarveSite_racing.htm

Above is the link to the carvewright racing system they show squaring the plate.

That seems to be just the home page. Is there a link to the actual article???

mabco12
06-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Steve,
Click on watch video now and you will see the procedure for checking the squaring plate with the CO2 dragster jig.

rjustice
06-14-2009, 12:04 PM
That seems to be just the home page. Is there a link to the actual article???

If you watch the video that is linked in that home page, it is shown, and explained in the video.... very nicely done!

Ron

Steven Alford
06-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Great, thanks.
So if you do not have the dragster frame they use in the video, how would be a good way to verify the square of our machines?

rjustice
06-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Great, thanks.
So if you do not have the dragster frame they use in the video, how would be a good way to verify the square of our machines?

If you have a dial indicator, you could fasten it to the "Z" truck if you have an adapter of some sort just hold it in the chuck.
Then, place a precision square against the fixed guide, and push the Y axis back and forth while the indicator is against the square.... zero it out and your done.

If you dont have an indicator, you could use a long tool as shown in the video and eyeball it as they did. You will get it pretty close..

Ron

supershingler
06-14-2009, 02:16 PM
couldnt you just draw a square line across a wide board with a pencil,
install the carving bit and lower it and place it on the pencil line on the keyboard side and line it up. then turn off your machine and manually push the ztruck across the board to the other side and push the z truck down the see if it hits the line. ihave used this to method to check my machine for square.

kendall

rjustice
06-14-2009, 02:38 PM
couldnt you just draw a square line across a wide board with a pencil,
install the carving bit and lower it and place it on the pencil line on the keyboard side and line it up. then turn off your machine and manually push the ztruck across the board to the other side and push the z truck down the see if it hits the line. ihave used this to method to check my machine for square.

kendall

Yep, this would work too... it just may be a little harder to see v/s seeing the edge of the tool up against a square, but it would get you pretty close. An indicator would get you exact. (within the accuracy of your square, and the feel of getting the square against the rail)... Im sure your method would get you close enough for what is trying to be accomplished.

Dan-Woodman
06-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Or just cut a 2" dado x 1/8" deep across the grain of a board say--10-14" wide on the end and check it with your favorite framing square from both exdges.
later Daniel That will also tell if your "SQUARE IS SQUARE"

mfdchief
06-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Lots of great ideas, thanks guys. I used a shallow crosscut across a piece of ply and used the saw kerf as my guide. I was off a little more than 1/32 in 13 inches across the y axis. Doesn't seem like much and I'm sure it was the result of my modification to the squaring plate for the rubber belts. Hopefully the screws will stay tight enough without loctite now that everything is square.

Mark

Steven Alford
06-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks for your suggestions guys, they are all great.