PDA

View Full Version : Help with converting photo to pattern

Wilbur
06-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Hi, I have worked on this for 4 days. I am trying to convert this photo to a pattern of the grandkids. I have corel paint shop pro 10. I took it in there and got the background off in that, did some noise adjustment in pattern editor. It looked like a so so pattern, but when it carved, it carved out the oldest grandson hair and vest. I didn't like the way the eyes were, but the hair and vest got me. Could someone help me to get this right?
I didn't know where to put this post. Hope it was here!!

Dolores

AskBud
06-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Dark means DEEP. Make those colors lighter to bring back to the height you wish.
AskBud

bjbethke
06-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Hi, I have worked on this for 4 days. I am trying to convert this photo to a pattern of the grandkids. I have corel paint shop pro 10. I took it in there and got the background off in that, did some noise adjustment in pattern editor. It looked like a so so pattern, but when it carved, it carved out the oldest grandson hair and vest. I didn't like the way the eyes were, but the hair and vest got me. Could someone help me to get this right?
I didn't know where to put this post. Hope it was here!!

Dolores

Black is hard to correct on photos using Corel or photoshop.

this was my try with photoshop.

Wilbur
06-12-2009, 12:12 PM
How do you go about making the colors lighter? I have put in as a greyscale, and negative. Nice job bjbethke!! Lord, I think I'm dumb as can be on this.

Dolores

bjbethke
06-12-2009, 03:20 PM
How do you go about making the colors lighter? I have put in as a greyscale, and negative. Nice job bjbethke!! Lord, I think I'm dumb as can be on this.

Dolores
I used the Dodge, Burn and Sponge Tools in Photoshop to make this. I first changed your image from a 72DPI to a 300DPI image, this makes a large image and the pixels are smaller. Then I use the dodge brush tool to lighten the dark colors, and use the Burn tool to darken the colors. The Sponge tool is used to smooth the colors. (Use a large brush-the brush is adjustable)

Most of the time I remove the background with Photoshop, This can be done in the PE also.

I found a program called Wilbur to adjust the height. Just started working with it.

Removed more background in the PTN, and made a new MPC. PTN is too large to post, PM me your e-mail address and I will send you the complete folder with images.

Wilbur
06-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Thank you so much!!!! I see I got alot of learning to do on this. With all the info I'm reading maybe I will learn something. One question what is DPI? I don't know where you would change that on Corel Paint Shop Pro 10.

Did you get my PM? Didn't know if I did it right or not

Dolores

atauer
06-12-2009, 05:47 PM
DPI, depending on the subject matter at hand, normally stands for Dots Per Inch. The higher the DPI, the more dots each square inch of the image contains.

badger
06-12-2009, 05:55 PM
I first changed your image from a 72DPI to a 300DPI image, this makes a large image and the pixels are smaller.

Not sure where your getting that from but usually the only reason you would need to be concerned with DPI is if you plan on printing it out. Setting the DPI higher will not determine how large or small you actually image will be.

No problem, its still a largely debated matter on DPI and PPI and resolution can be confusing sometimes.

TerryT
06-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Dolores,
For what it's worth you did very good for as far as you went. You seemed to be on the right track.

Wilbur
06-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Hopefully I get this in my head, it takes awhile sometimes:rolleyes:

Dolores

will george
06-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Do not worry about it.
I made this for my youngest daugher... She saw HER immediately and I thought nothing like the child I ended up carving..

Wilbur
06-13-2009, 08:28 AM
Oh wow, that is neat. I see it good.

Dolores

Wilbur
06-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Think I shall give up on this today, my eyes have crossed.

Dolores