PDA

View Full Version : flex shaft installation

bbrandhe
06-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Question #1 I recently received a new flex shaft after destroying my original one. I expected installation instructions with the new part(s) but received nothing. Are there printed instructions for replacement? Are there any tricks to it and should I lube the new one before installation?

Question #2 When I took out the core of the first flex shaft I recall the spring being on the cutting head end of the shaft. The new flex shaft that arrived had the spring on the other (motor) end. Which is correct? What does the spring do?

Question #3 What is the purpose of the wire attached to the flex shaft? I see no reference to it anywhere, not even in the parts manual pictures.

jwhllh55
06-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Question #1 I recently received a new flex shaft after destroying my original one. I expected installation instructions with the new part(s) but received nothing. Are there printed instructions for replacement? Are there any tricks to it and should I lube the new one before installation?

Question #2 When I took out the core of the first flex shaft I recall the spring being on the cutting head end of the shaft. The new flex shaft that arrived had the spring on the other (motor) end. Which is correct? What does the spring do?

Question #3 What is the purpose of the wire attached to the flex shaft? I see no reference to it anywhere, not even in the parts manual pictures.

Question #1
You really don't need written instructions to replace the new cable. I can walk you thur it. First, you need to lube the new cable with a Chain Lube that has Moly in it. Soak it down and let it dry. Then replace the cable and spring. I would insert the spring first and then the cable.
Once then cable in inserted turn the cable with your fingers until it falls into the slot in the cut motor. Then place the cable into the Cutting Head or QC. With your fingers turn the QC until the cable falls into place and push the cable housing down into the QC until it clicks and locks itself in place.
Your done. If there is any problem just call tech support at LHR and they will talk you thur the same thing. Happy carving..

The wire you are talking about keeps the cable from dragging on the case.

hess
06-10-2009, 11:25 PM

They just exchange on for one.. Remove the new flex and lub it on with CC or cL wipe i down in am and slide then both back into place you well feel i exgage the cut motor redo this monthly and it will stay cool.

The spring act a a buffer, sound deadner

fwharris
06-11-2009, 01:00 AM

At the very top of the trouble shooting section on the forum is the troubleshooting pdf files. Find the one for "removal of the top cover". This will get you access to the cut motor to remove the old flex shaft and install the new one. There is a set or lock screw on the end flange of the cut motor that holds the flex shaft housing into the end of the cut motor. It best to do this with out the flex shaft and spring being in the housing. Eliminate any possibility of them falling out.
The spring runs the full length of the flex shaft and housing. If yours is only showing on one end chances are you burnt it in two. The spring is a silencer of sort and also keeps the flex shaft from rubbing on the inside of the rubber shaft.
Question #3 What is the purpose of the wire attached to the flex shaft? I see no reference to it anywhere, not even in the parts manual pictures

The wire is a stiffener for the flex shaft and housing to maintain their curvature and alignment. I and I think most of the carves have either taped of wire tied the end of the wire loosely to the rubber housing to help keep the wire and housing.

If you have not already done so try a search for "flex shaft". The are a lot of info on the subject.

And YES lube the new shaft!!!!!