PDA

View Full Version : Carving around a pattern

RobertP
03-04-2006, 10:45 PM
I am working on a piece for my home theatre and am having some trouble getting the software to carve around the area that I have marked with a red area, but I do not want to cut past the horizontal line that I have marked in green. How do you carve around just the top? :? http://members.aol.com/soundgravy/carve.jpg :?

Matty
03-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Use the SPLINE TOOL to trace the part you want to cut.
Right click choose a bit and cutting depth, done

You can find the spline toot under the drawing menu.

RobertP
03-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the reply Matty,
I tried the spline tool with less than stellar results. A feature that I would to see on this software would be once you get your elements designed you should be able to lock the patterns together so that when you use the trace tool it goes around the objects that were locked, in the picture above if I select all of the elements that are designed and hit trace, it only traces the sheild itself without the items attached to it.

pkunk
03-05-2006, 09:07 PM
:) Robert, friendly, constructive criticism here :)
Learn how to down size your pictures so that those of us with less than mega monitors don't have to scroll. Thanks, resume.......

RobertP
03-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Sorry about that PK! I have a huge widescreen monitor and forget that sometimes! :oops:

John
03-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Create a blank box and fill with any color in a drawing program. Save it as a jpeg. Import in into the carvewright software. Drag it onto your project and cover the part you don't want carved. Set the carving depth to 0. I am assuming that green arrow is pointing to a straight line.

yenne
03-06-2006, 10:17 AM
A feature that I would to see on this software would be once you get your elements designed you should be able to lock the patterns together so that when you use the trace tool it goes around the objects that were locked, in the picture above if I select all of the elements that are designed and hit trace, it only traces the sheild itself without the items attached to it.
You should be able to use CTRL+Click to select all of your pattern elements, then choosing the outline tool will include them all in the outline. Unfortunately this is not going to solve your problem because there's not currently a way to trim that outline to the horizontal line.

What's needed is a way to outline a region that's clipped to the pattern, but alas this is also not currently supported. Using splines and corners is currently your best bet, and I'd be happy to help you with it if you're having trouble. The team here will start thinking of the best way to permanently support this kind of cut-out in the future.