PDA

View Full Version : Carrier Boards and stay under rollers Or Not to?

will george
06-09-2009, 03:56 AM
I hope I can say my problem in words that others can understand. I'm old and get lost easy...

Forgive me if this it not the proper place to ask. And YES, I have read everything I can find in here but I am still a bit lost on a few things..

What does the option 'Stay Under Rollers REALLY mean'? I think I know, but I am not really sure really DO!

I usually reply NO and most of the time all is well. But not always. Sometimes

If I want to throw away 7 inches of my good/expensive wood every time I carve, I seem to get along OK... But that Burl or birdseye gets expensive.

The narrative (above) which it is my purpose now to put in written form, I have at various times briefly or in part related to one and another of my
intimate friends; but they all mistook my facts for fancies..
From.. The Project Gutenberg EBook of A Strange Discovery, by Charles Romyn Dake

I will continue down my dark path with my lover.. My CarveWright machine...
My lovely Lady/Friend died years ago.

Seriously.. I think my problem is ME! But I have no idea why some things work and others do not! My question is related to being VERY sure things will carve from the same project file on a test board on a sled with scrap and the 'real' work'.

My project is making two Poster Beds, WITH Dragons and words for a child I hope understand as when kittle and as an an adult!
a (In my thinking of what a Modern Chinese style four poster with Testers should be with a modern style bed) for my grandbabies that are adopted from China... The raw wood for each bed was about $1500.00 for each and hardly anything 'extra' left over to save a bad carve on both beds!

I can live with it if you think that is wrong to do. (As in adopt two China Dolls)... I'd say we love them at least the same that their mothers would have.. I have babysitted them for 5 years and I think they are way more well behaved than my four way older daughters! I babysit in School times and most of the Summer t5ime to wood work... My daughter that adoped them is a Teacher with a Masters. Her husband is a PH something in early childhood education (nice guy but way to strict with a small child), NO he never hurt them.. A Very nice man....

I just REALLY need to know what I need to do if the center of
A CARVING ON a Headbord I cannot Replaced..

I have made many carrier sleds... And none worked, Always..... Sleads, I think my real problem and how to......

AskBud
06-09-2009, 06:42 AM
When you enter "Stay Under Rollers", you are telling the machine that no carving will be done on the last 3 1/2" of each end of the board.

If your actual board is 24" long, that means that your "Project" (Design) board may not be longer than 17". It makes no difference if a sled is used or it is just the actual board. What is measured is what the machine sees as it makes the measurement(s).

If the actual board/sled is smaller than the design, you will get prompts to re-size or place a new board. If larger, you may get prompts to re-size or about placement on the board/sled.
AskBud

will george
06-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks.. I think I understand.
However, what is the 'best way' to make my MPC projects if I usually use a long and wide carrier board with a 3.5 inch stop block at one end? That end with the stop block is the 'right hand end' I put into the machine looking at the keyboard. As in the stop block is 3.5 inches and on the right as you face the machine.

And what if I use 'Carve at the corner? I forget the exact words given in the display.. I am not stupid, I think not but maybe sometimes.. I'm a very old mechanic, and I can do almost anything IF I can see the parts as I see them taking them apart.. NOT at what I THINK they will be AFTER if I never saw them before (OK sometimes I get lucky and all the parts work as they should)... I guess God gave me a brain that is a bit different that most folks. Maybe God just had a 'funny day' with me?

My questions are serious because I have to carve on already made parts of two beds for my China dolls. Impossible to replace with my income these days.. All the parts are already cut to fit the tapered beds posts and I am sure/think all would be well except when I have to use a carrier board. I have some trim carved by hand in the areas that edge the brass and rubber band on the CW will measure the length of my head and tail boards of the poster beds. I have four carving to do.. The other carevings I can live with IF I know how to do the hard parts!

The bed parts are sort of twin sized but a bit wider. And the finished head and tail boards are already made to fit into the posts!

A sample of one carving with one name I want to do centered on my 48 inch wide boards with Tenons that will never be visable after assembly..

AskBud
06-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Will George,
Why don't you make a trial run (carve) on a piece of pine board the exact size of your actual good wood. That way, you get a better idea what is going on with each set-up. I think we have almost all done some trials prior to using that costly, and un-replaceable, good stock. If not, we're independently wealthy!
AskBud

HighTechOkie
06-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Since you are a visual person, best thing to do is as Bud suggested and run a few tests on cheap wood to see what is happening.

When you are ready to carve the expensive stuff, make sure to put a strip of masking tape down the side riding on the brass roller.

Is that dragon a purchased pattern? Probably should remove the .mpc from your post.

Rob

will george
06-09-2009, 07:06 PM
I got the dragon in here and I will pay for it. IF I know where to pay for it.
I do not know the orignal source.

Kenm810
06-09-2009, 07:24 PM
The Dragon Pattern .PTN has been posted and talked about
on the forum a few times since Feb. 2008 :wink:

Dragon plaque (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10521&highlight=dragon) (http://forum.carvewright.com/images/misc/multipage.gif 1 (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10521&highlight=dragon) 2 (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10521&page=2&highlight=dragon))

will george
I made two of them and the dragon I used I got in here. I will pay the price.. IF I can find the owner of the orignal dragon...

Where do I pay for it? I HAVE NO Problem doing it'. A wonderful Dragon that does not scare little kids!

For my adoped grandbabies from China that I am making two poster beds.. I love them like my own!

ChrisAlb
I got the dragon in here and I will pay for it. IF I know where to pay for it.
I do not know the orignal source.

You don't need to pay for it Will. That pattern was shared in the gallery here some time ago. I've had it for a while now.

Rob was simply asking if it was a pattern you DID pay for in which case you wouldn't want to post it in here thus "giving away" a pattern someone sells. This one is free in here so no problem.

HighTechOkie
06-09-2009, 07:49 PM
My apologies Will, I had seen that pattern (or similar) on another vendor's site and just wanted to help protect their property. In no way was I implying that you did not pay for the pattern. I was unaware that it had been posted before and free to use, which is great since that is a nicely done pattern and I'm a fan of dragons :).

BTW, nice layout. Depending on how themed you want to go, I would do the frame in gloss black, the dragon in gold (gold leaf), and the name in red. Then you could use that expensive wood for another project. Another variation is do the dragon in a jade green.

Rob

PCW
06-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Will

Great project and your grand-kids are going to be very proud of you.

will george
06-09-2009, 09:54 PM
And the patten served me well for my wants and I will still pay for the use of it..
To who it came from in the first place...

will george
06-09-2009, 10:01 PM
My apologies Will,..

None required.
.. and just wanted to help protect their property..

I agree and as I stated, I will pay the price for it.. If I can find the original source.