PDA

View Full Version : Broke a bit after opening lid

glassocean
06-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Well,
I'm finally getting to know the machine & software a bit, but had a problem today. I need to cut quite a few pieces that a just under 6X6"" and made a sled/jig to hold them.
The neighbor kid came over during a cut, and I lifted the cover to stop the operation (as I have before) and the router shut off but the machine/axis kept moving and snapped the bit. Has this happened to anyone else?

Jeffhttp://aqpros.com/DSC02569.JPG

fwharris
06-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Well,
I'm finally getting to know the machine & software a bit, but had a problem today. I need to cut quite a few pieces that a just under 6X6"" and made a sled/jig to hold them.
The neighbor kid came over during a cut, and I lifted the cover to stop the operation (as I have before) and the router shut off but the machine/axis kept moving and snapped the bit. Has this happened to anyone else?

Jeffhttp://aqpros.com/DSC02569.JPG

Jeff,

OOPS!!!

The stopping of the machine by opening the lid if just for emergency stops only. The proper was to stop (pause) the machine is to press the "stop button" once. You will notice that the read out will say something like "continue press start and abort press stop".

By opening the lid to stop the carving the computer reacts a little slow and not all parts of the machine stops at the same time. Cut motor might stop but the Z and Y movements might continue for a short period and if the bit was doing cut outs like you were doing it could break the bit.

When you press "stop" it tells the computer to halt everything at the same time plus raise the cutting head..

glassocean
06-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Aww, another $40 dollar lesson!

liquidguitars
06-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Do your sleds tails measure at least 4" from your wood blank?

Also you need "tabs" or "auto tabs" to keep the part from moving if not, its ZING! ZING! 40.00 bucks please..

The neighbor kid came over during a cut, this also could be the reason..

Lg

glassocean
06-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Do your sleds tails measure at least 4" from your wood blank?

Lg

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you asking if the sled is 4" longer than the edge of the blank I'm cutting in?

Jeff

liquidguitars
06-08-2009, 06:57 PM
when making a sled I found that's it good to have a little extra on the tails ends like 4" or 6" on each end in x. as long as your sled is under the out feed roller your cool if not it could add to breakage..

LG

Digitalwoodshop
06-09-2009, 10:33 AM
As to why the machine did not stop when the cover was opened that tells me that your left cover switch did not disengage or open.

AL

dench
06-09-2009, 05:42 PM
yep it happe to me like liquidguitar said the left switch went bad

AskBud
06-09-2009, 06:01 PM
As the others have said, "the switch did not operate correctly".
The switch may not be bad, or out of adjustment. It may be that the cover was not lifted from a place that made it release both switches at the same time. Left needs to open with, or just before the right.

This is a good reason to use the STOP button rather than using the lid to delay your carve.
AskBud

glassocean
06-09-2009, 08:53 PM
I think I'll hit the stop button in the future.