PDA

View Full Version : cutting or carving name

Dan-Woodman
03-03-2006, 06:36 PM
If I wanted to rout a name in a board, using ( the centerline option in text)
would the machine rout the letters folowing the line of the letter or would it use the back and forth methid of carving. In the demo video it shows the head routing in a sine wave pattern. will it rout letters this same way. I would like to rout names with a 60 degree bit. Daniel

hartwoods
03-05-2006, 02:34 PM
I carved some with the back and forth method and have had some trouble with chip out on the letters.In pecan, walnut,and pine. Mostly the fonts that have thin bodies to them..
Regards
Don

renklint
03-06-2006, 03:58 AM
Hi Daniel

From the help-file:

Text is a pattern so it will be carved using a raster (like an inkjet printer). In many cases it is desirable to carve text out using a path that the cutting head follows. This can be do by using the Outline function to turn text into a path then applying a bit (see Routing) to the path.

/Lars

yenne
03-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Newer versions of the software (1.022 and later) support centerlining text as an option in the text dialog. This will rout the text with a v-groove bit sort of like the sine wave example you referred to. This feature was added recently due to overwhelming customer request, and is not yet reflected in the documentation.

Dan-Woodman
03-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Thanks Britt for so much good info
Most of the fonts I have looked at ( in centerline mode) have little extra white lines coming off of the centerline,and when this gets routed the router cuts these extra lines like it was hand carved. I take it this is intentional,and I was wondering if all fonts were this way? thanks Daniel

yenne
03-11-2006, 01:08 AM
The extra lines are required to fill out areas of the font that can't be reached by a simple rout. They can be taken out, but then the characters don't look right.

John
03-11-2006, 10:59 AM
"They can be taken out, but then the characters don't look right."

I have done some fonts I would like to take them out. How is that done? Also, on ceterlining the depth of the cut is all over the place, some worse than others. Here is a small example.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/johnluard/TESTFONT.jpg

BTW. My machine worked flawlessly out of the box. No mechanical problems whatsoever. Only thing I have run into. Some of the quick change bit holders I picked up at Sears, the set screws seem to have "soft" heads. Can they be changed out if done in pairs to keep it balanced?

Thanks, John

lpcsales
03-13-2006, 05:58 AM
Yes, Britt, I'm having the same problem and would like to know how to remove these extra carving lines from the centerline in the letters. I couldn't find a way to do this in the software. Any help would be appreciated.

Dan,
When you raster carve, are you getting 'smooth' looking carvings? I tried various types of wood from soft (poplar) to hard (oak) and my carvings always come out with a 'fuzzy' surface...like the carving bit is dull, but I know that it's not. Even tried it several times with a new bit..no difference. Btw, I've been using the 'Best' quality selection.

Dan-Woodman
03-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Hey Dave
I 've never been much of a carver but ,yes what I have done so far with raster cutting comes out with fuzzies. I'm like most everyone else, just playing for now,before I put in the good wood. Daniel

yenne
03-14-2006, 11:18 PM
When you say a "fuzzy" surface, do you mean feathering within the carving? Most feathering can be removed with a wire brush.

Dan-Woodman
03-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Hey Britt
Yea, it's just the wood I'm useing. I just need to learn what woods are good for carving. thanks Daniel
I like to use sanding sponges for removing the fuzzies.

lpcsales
03-16-2006, 05:42 AM
Britt, I did some more letters using raster mode last night and was using very good wood. I still cannot get descent quality in the carvings. I sent you a private email with pictures of how the carvings are turning out on my machine so you can see first hand how bad it is. It doesn't matter whether its letters or an image from your library, the output quality is always the same.
No amount of wire brushing will solve the problem I'm getting.
I'm really hoping you can solve this for me.

lpcsales
03-16-2006, 07:36 AM
Britt, something else to note regarding my quality problem. When carving a region, such as a rectangular depression with a flat bottom using raster mode and using the carving bit, the bottom and sides are slick smooth..always. It's only when carving 3d objects that the results look 'torn-up'.

yenne
03-16-2006, 09:31 PM
Hello again, Dave. Please forward your queries to Chris at cmorlier @ lhrtech.com, as I am on vacation this week.

thanks,