PDA

View Full Version : Miss Curvewright

bergerud
06-06-2009, 01:25 AM
I thought I would try a "hard" carve to learn about 3d software and my Carvewright. Maybe some of you might like to try this carve. This is Miss Curvewright version 1.0. Unfortunately, she does not come with clothes and so some my be offended. If you are under 18, get permission from your mother. If you are over 18, get permission from your wife. If you are over 65, get permission from your doctor!! And Bud - don't ask.

This carve is a little tricky:

1. Both sides have to line up, so make sure the wood is all square. Do not separate the sides into two separate carves unless your machine is calibrated.

2. The depth has to be just right. Softer wood should be 1.30" thick and harder maybe 1.28". (In the software it is 1.25" but my machine seems to carve gray scale 255 slightly below the surface.) The ideal depth is when the perimeter ribbon around the girl is paper thin.

3. Do not try and make her bigger. With the 0.8" carving depth limit, 10" is as big as she can be.

4. The hands are delicate. After the rear carve, put two layers of masking tape on the back of the hands. (If a thumb does chip off, you will still have it to glue back on.)

5. Sanding is tedious but pleasurable! A dremel with a small drum is good for cleaning up the boundary edge and pins. There are places you will discover which need extra care. Riffler files are good. The fingers can be separated by carefully cutting out the wood between them with a dremel cutting disc. Save the hands until last and keep them protected with tape or a dip in polyurethane. Sand to accentuate her features not to smooth them out.

6. If you drop her - its over.

The pictures:
1. Miss C out of Garry oak.
2. Volleyball trophy
3. Miss C out of maple - still sanding.
4. Miss C out of red casting resin.

fwharris
06-06-2009, 02:05 AM
I thought I would try a "hard" carve to learn about 3d software and my Carvewright. Maybe some of you might like to try this carve. This is Miss Curvewright version 1.0. Unfortunately, she does not come with clothes and so some my be offended. If you are under 18, get permission from your mother. If you are over 18, get permission from your wife. If you are over 65, get permission from your doctor!! And Bud - don't ask.

This carve is a little tricky:

1. Both sides have to line up, so make sure the wood is all square. Do not separate the sides into two separate carves unless your machine is calibrated.

2. The depth has to be just right. Softer wood should be 1.30" thick and harder maybe 1.28". (In the software it is 1.25" but my machine seems to carve gray scale 255 slightly below the surface.) The ideal depth is when the perimeter ribbon around the girl is paper thin.

3. Do not try and make her bigger. With the 0.8" carving depth limit, 10" is as big as she can be.

4. The hands are delicate. After the rear carve, put two layers of masking tape on the back of the hands. (If a thumb does chip off, you will still have it to glue back on.)

5. Sanding is tedious but pleasurable! A dremel with a small drum is good for cleaning up the boundary edge and pins. There are places you will discover which need extra care. Riffler files are good. The fingers can be separated by carefully cutting out the wood between them with a dremel cutting disc. Save the hands until last and keep them protected with tape or a dip in polyurethane. Sand to accentuate her features not to smooth them out.

6. If you drop her - its over.

The pictures:
1. Miss C out of Garry oak.
2. Volleyball trophy
4. Miss C out of red casting resin.

You got the name right for sure. Great job!!!! Great curves!!! Looks like you have the 3D modeling mastered...

I will refrain from making any other comments:roll:

BBrooks
06-06-2009, 05:51 AM
That is incredible! Thanks for the post!

Kenm810
06-06-2009, 06:57 AM
Beautiful work, a real piece or Art, well done!!
Great project and Explanation,
Thanks for Sharing your work with us.

badger
06-06-2009, 07:25 AM
I thought I would try a "hard" carve to learn about 3d software and my Carvewright. Maybe some of you might like to try this carve. This is Miss Curvewright version 1.0.

Paint her gold and it could be our new award. The Mrs Oscar.

Me thinks youve been sanding her long enough.

Otherwise nice job on the project Bergerud.

b.sumner47
06-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Does anyone khow if she has a sister ?? Nice award. Capt Barry

earlyrider
06-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Looking forward to the sanding. 400 grit....ooh.....

dcalvin4
06-17-2009, 08:07 PM
"OUTSTANDING".........................as my Army drill instructor used to say.
I definitely will carve this piece of art as soon as I get my new chuck holder as my machine is "performance challenged" [broke].Now seeing your scupture has awakened my creative side and would like to know how you designed miss curvewright.

ChrisAlb
06-17-2009, 08:29 PM
That's an amazingly superb piece of art from stem to stern. Wonderful job Bergerud!!!....http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif..http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif...Two thumbs up!

usd5000000
06-23-2009, 03:57 PM
How did you do the design work and conversion to a pattern?

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
06-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Ive only "dreamed" of making something like that!:cool: That is great work.. Im looking forward to seeing all the variations that are come up with..ha. Thanks for sharing. No really thanks for sharing! Matt.

pkunk
06-23-2009, 06:16 PM
My wife & my doctor (he wants one) said it was OK so I'm gonna make the maid. What did you use for the base? This should be an interresting diversion for a change. I'll postpone a cabinet an extra day.....:mrgreen:

RayTrek
06-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Wow! That is very very nice thanks for your sharing of this, it is truly a work of art
Ray

bergerud
06-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Here is the base I made. (It may "fall out" at the end of the carve.)