PDA

View Full Version : sign help

miragese
06-05-2009, 09:24 AM
My MOM has asked for a number sign for her house, fine no big deal I am new but how hard can that be. The next phone call was she wanted a sail boat added on top or bottom. Question I have is how do I set the cut out with a curve? I don't have problem drawing standard shapes. I will try to explain what I want to. The sign will have a bump on top or bottom for the boat. I have seen other signs with the name or numbers with a rosette or something on top or bottom.:confused:

Kenm810
06-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi miragese,

How about something like this, just for an idea for a start

All Vector line segments with Centerline or Raster Text

miragese
06-05-2009, 11:11 AM
The I like the design but the neighborhood association has guide lines. The boat has to be smaller. I need to put a half circle on the bottom for the boat. How do I attach a half circle to the bottom of a rectangle, but have one continuous line. I hope that makes sense.

Kenm810
06-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Something a little more like this

Plus one to experiment with

miragese
06-06-2009, 10:00 AM
perfect. How did you draw it? Is it done free hand?

Kenm810
06-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Yep, the outline of the sign is freehand vector lines as is the Sailboat,
that was posted sometime ago by one of the folks in the CW Forum Gallery. :wink:

Glad it helps

www.go3d.us
06-06-2009, 01:39 PM
This is how you can add an arc to a rectangle or square box.

1. Draw a rectangle.
2. Right click on the yellow dot at bottom center and select insert vertex. It will add a red dot with two more yellow dot on each side.
3. Right click on the two new yellow dot on each side and select insert vertex.
4. With the selection tool, right click the red dot at the center and click on Intersect --> Spline. The red dot will turn into purple.
5. Click on the it and drag it out. You will have an arc in a rectangle.

Another way is:

1. Draw a rectangle.
2. Right click on the yellow dot at bottom center and select insert vertex. It will add a red dot with two more yellow dot on each side.
4. With the selection tool, right click the red dot at the center and click on Break figure. Then delete that red dot. You will have an opening on the bottom side of your rectangle.
5. Select the arc tool and start by clicking the first red dot then to the second to connect the two red dots. You will have a continuing segment with a green dot.
6. With the selection tool, click on the green dot and drag it out to make an arc.

HT

fairydust
06-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Thank you, this was of great help to me. I am new and have so many more sign questions. - Fairydust

This is how you can add an arc to a rectangle or square box.

1. Draw a rectangle.
4. With the selection tool, right click the red dot at the center and click on Intersect --> Spline. The red dot will turn into purple.
5. Click on the it and drag it out. You will have an arc in a rectangle.

Another way is:

1. Draw a rectangle.
4. With the selection tool, right click the red dot at the center and click on Break figure. Then delete that red dot. You will have an opening on the bottom side of your rectangle.
5. Select the arc tool and start by clicking the first red dot then to the second to connect the two red dots. You will have a continuing segment with a green dot.
6. With the selection tool, click on the green dot and drag it out to make an arc.

HT

fairydust
06-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Patience please - We just bought our Carvewright, and we are learnng. My husband and I have read the manual, watched one instruction video after another, etc. I am an educator and want to make a sign for school. Looking at signs on-line, I notice they look best with the letter completely carved out and then inked in. I'm not sure if that is an accurate descripton, but I am new to this and don't know all the technical terms. On my practice signs, I used raster . If the letter is a finer line, then it tends to chip or just not look "right". My choices seem to be raster or outline. What are my best choices for a professional look to a sign? Would the third choice that I have to purchase do better for signs? What do you find to be the best medium to ink in the letters?

I learned to add the arc to the rectangle by reading your post. Is there a way to route the edge of the cutout? (as opposed to the outer edge that will be cut away?)

Thanks for any help. This beginner wants to learn! :confused:

www.go3d.us
06-06-2009, 03:24 PM
"I notice they look best with the letter completely carved out and then inked in."

I think what you are referring to is center line font carve. It cost $100 extra for this machine.

Raster text also work great for larger size font with carve region around it.

"Is there a way to route the edge of the cutout?"

Yes, you can achieve this by select the outline and make it a cut path. Flip the cut path and hide the cut out. Then select the cut path, right click and select cut bit then pick the bit you like to use for routing.

As for what ink to use. I will have to leave this question for the professional sign maker, maybe they know what best.

HT

Kenm810
06-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Just a thought,
Has anyone been carving
Recessed Raster Text

Kenm810
06-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Or Recessed Raster Text in a Carve Region :???:

fairydust
06-06-2009, 05:01 PM
My hero! Thank you so much for the help. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.:-D

miragese
06-07-2009, 07:51 PM
What I have found for short signs with two inch or larger letters. I masked the whole board and them carved the sign. I had to cleanup the letters with a xacto knife and then spray painted the sign. Put several light coats so the paint would not seep under the tape. After I pulled the tape off and a little sanding. I am not sure of the effect on the bit I had to get the tape out of the bit with alcohol.

miragese
06-20-2009, 07:11 AM
Something a little more like this

Plus one to experiment with
Ken I see how to make the broke rectangle but how did you make the perfect half circle? Is there something in the program that allows to make half circles? Forgive me if this is simple but I am having trouble trying to grasp this program?

ChrisAlb
06-20-2009, 07:50 AM
Ken I see how to make the broke rectangle but how did you make the perfect half circle? Is there something in the program that allows to make half circles? Forgive me if this is simple but I am having trouble trying to grasp this program?

miragese,

See this post. Different shapes, same easy process.

http://forum.carvewright.com//showpost.php?p=94077&postcount=17

Kenm810
06-20-2009, 08:12 AM
The Half Circle is an Arc tool line that is attached to the rectangle or any other shape or line segment.
Make sure you see the red glow when you make the connection. :wink:

Thanks Chris, I was in the kitchen make a second Pot of Caffine.

bjbethke
06-20-2009, 08:20 AM
You can use the Arc Tool

Woodhacker
06-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Just a thought,
Has anyone been carving
Recessed Raster Text
WOW!!! I d/l the mpc file and it looks great....but....how the heck did you do it????? And, if you can do incised text this way, why would ya need centerline????????

Richard

ChrisAlb
06-20-2009, 09:19 AM
And, if you can do incised text this way, why would ya need centerline????????

Richard

Because you're limited to only a few fonts that will look the same in both raster and centerline...:smile:

Especially when you need smaller text.

bjbethke
06-20-2009, 09:20 AM
WOW!!! I d/l the mpc file and it looks great....but....how the heck did you do it????? And, if you can do incised text this way, why would ya need centerline????????

Richard
You can also invert your patterns to carve into the board. Raster carving uses the carving bit and it is slower than using centerline. Centerline carves with a "V" bit on the centerline of the font. Where the font is thin it carves shallow and where the font is thick it carves deep. It carves on a vector format and is much faster.

Woodhacker
06-20-2009, 09:24 AM
I can understand that part. Just sure wanna know how you managed to get the recessed raster carve to work. Looked over the mpc but don't understand how you did it. I guess I am just greedy to learn everything I can about this machine and using the software. Even after playing around with the software for bout a year, there are just too many things I don't yet know. Any info appreciated.

Richard

ChrisAlb
06-20-2009, 09:31 AM
I can understand that part. Just sure wanna know how you managed to get the recessed raster carve to work. Looked over the mpc but don't understand how you did it. I guess I am just greedy to learn everything I can about this machine and using the software. Even after playing around with the software for bout a year, there are just too many things I don't yet know. Any info appreciated.

Richard

By selecting the text and pressing the "invert pattern" button.

Woodhacker
06-20-2009, 09:36 AM
I tried inverting some raster text, but it didn't make it cut into the wood. Just made it look a little different. Also, I don't see a height on the text in Chris's text. I can't seem to duplicate that. So much to learn, so little time. :)

ChrisAlb
06-20-2009, 09:41 AM
I tried inverting some raster text, but it didn't make it cut into the wood. Just made it look a little different. Also, I don't see a height on the text in Chris's text. I can't seem to duplicate that. So much to learn, so little time. :)

Did you have that text you tried inverting a carved region? If so, it won't work right. Just place some raster text on a plain board, select it and click the invert button. Should work just like mine did/always does.

I didn't set any depth or height. Just took the default of .25 deep and 100 height.

Kenm810
06-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Just "Playin" around with Designer,
to see some of what it can do. :wink:

ChrisAlb
06-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Just "Playin" around with Designer,
to see some of what it can do. :wink:

The possibilities are endless....http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

miragese
06-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Thank you for the help. The next problem is how to apply a curved surface to a arch. I got the horizontal and vertical but can a domed surface be applied to a arch? Would like to apply to the back kind of have a rounded edge.

ChrisAlb
06-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Thank you for the help. The next problem is how to apply a curved surface to a arch. I got the horizontal and vertical but can a domed surface be applied to a arch? Would like to apply to the back kind of have a rounded edge.

Not quite sure what you mean here but any of the dome surfaces can be applied to any "closed" shape.

Kenm810
06-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Are you trying for a rounded edge on you Arc
or the complete Arc with a raised dome or both??

miragese
06-20-2009, 07:12 PM
I used the directions from tips and tricks how to make a picture frame. I used that and added the arc. I but the horizontal an vertical dome surface to the straight edges. I want to apply the domes surface to the arc. I wish I could put a picture but the internet is currently connected to the son's apple. My tower is not.

miragese
06-20-2009, 07:32 PM
I tried to cut an paste a picture from feb 09 step 4 fig 4c tips and tricks but no luck. I am not at all Mac friendly. I made that frame but made a arc on the bottom. Maybe I am going at it the wrong way. Anyone feel free to correct me.

Kenm810
06-21-2009, 06:56 AM
Just another shot at it.

miragese
06-21-2009, 09:18 AM
That is the shape. I want a .75 inch surface around all the edge. I want to apply a domed edge. Ideally I would like the edge to look like a half round. Maybe when I get better carve the back the side so the frame looks like a continuous tube. If that makes sense. I can picture it in my mind just have trouble getting it in words.

Kenm810
06-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Last try on the frame for now,

The Kids, Grand-kids, Nephews, Nieces, In-laws and out Laws,
are all on their way over Hill an Dale to Grandma and Grandpa's this afternoon.
Got 6 sets of Ribs going on the Grills and all the fixens to go with them,
plus loads of marshmallows and chocolate for everyone
to make "somemores" around the fire pit to night. :grin:

TerryT
06-21-2009, 02:40 PM
The Kids, Grand-kids, Nephews, Nieces, In-laws and out Laws,
are all on their way over Hill an Dale to Grandma and Grandpa's this afternoon. :grin:

Me too! Six kids, their significant others, and 14 or so grandkids.

Happy Father's Day y'all.

Woodhacker
06-22-2009, 12:34 PM
I have been able to successfully duplicate the recessed text on a flat board. But, how the heck did you get it to work in a carve region??????? I set up a board just like the one you have in the mpc, but when I put some text on it with the same depth on the carve region and on the text that you have on yours, my text just disappears. :confused:
Also, what purpose does the line serve?? I tried putting one in using the line segment tool and assigning a depth of .25 (like yours), but it did not seem to make any difference. I have tried just about everything I know in order to get the recessed effect in a carve region but must admit I have run up against a wall...and it is starting to hurt my head...
Any explanation on this effect would be deeply appreciated.

Thanx

Richard

ChrisAlb
06-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Richard,

If you're referring to Ken's "just playing" file. Note that he use a negative merge on the squares and text to "merge" them together.

Download his file and dissect it. That's the easiest way to learn. There are other ways to do it as well but this works fine.

Kenm810
06-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Hey Richard,

Didn't mean to give you a headache,
A lot of the stuff that Designer can do is still quite new to me.
While I've be recuperating from some health issues,
and haven't been able do any carving with my machine.
So I play around with the CW Desiger to pass the time
and try to learn a little at the same time.

Chris has it right, there's a few different ways to do it,
For me I see a .mpc or graphic file and dissect it
or try to disassemble it in reverse to see how it was done,
I use them as a little challenge, like a puzzles to learn from,
and entertain myself a bit at the same time.
Hmmmm a lot better than watching the boob tube all day. :wink:

Ps. Believe me, I've been stumped by more than a few myself.