PDA

View Full Version : Sled for cutting Name Tag Plastic

Digitalwoodshop
06-04-2009, 03:59 PM
I have a project overdue to make some 4 inch long Fire Tags and my first attempt to make them using a wooden block cut to the size of the tag and double sticking plastic on the end failed. The flush bearing bit left rough edges and chips.

My second attempt was to use the CW and a carrier board. I just used pine and double stick tape and cut the first 3 to a depth just shallow of the cut. I started over adding more tags and increased the depth. The QC was in need of replacement so this was not a fair test but the results were bad. In my picture 4 the right side group of tags were cut with the 1/8 inch bit and the QC, the center and left with the ROCK and 1/16 inch end mill.

So I changed to the ROCK and cut a 6 inch long 1/16 bit in half that went to my Rotary Engraver. It's a End Mill used on my Star 912 automated rotary engraver.

I could already hear the sound difference with the Rock, much better.

I lined the PVC Carrier board with double stick tape and let it cut. I even put masking tape on the bottom since it is SO slick... This is set to cut a 12 x 24 standard 1/4 sheet of plastic.

I used the 1/16 inch bit and set the cut just below the FRP Plastic I was cutting. I closed my bottom suction on my dust collection to suck fully from the top and the fine dust went into the collector. With the 1/8 inch bit earlier chips were flying everwhere.... Some got into the Y Belt and when it went to cut the first 3 over again (Picture 5). I was watching and I heard Click Click Click and the Y was now off and started to cut the tag in the wrong place.

So using the 1/16 inch bit makes LESS chips and some stay inside the cut......

So I have my work cut out now making the Fire Tags for Tomorrow Delivery...

I will later drill holes in the center of each tag location and flip it over and cut a 3/8 inch slots connecting the holes for a VACUUM SLED........ For now a strip of Double Stick tape will do.

In picture 4 I left the plastic film on the bottom of the ROCK cut tags and it shows up slightly in the picture, in the QC tags I took off the ragged plastic to show the edge better... I cut this with the plastic film down as this is a one sided tag. I will be cutting some 2 sided tags and with the 1/16 inch cutter I don't believe the plastic film will come up and wrap around the Rock.

AL

Woodhacker
06-05-2009, 08:29 AM
I have seen a couple of posts referring to "the rock". What exactly is this and what does it do?? Gonna order my machine next week and don't wanna miss out on anything that will help me be a better carver :)

AskBud
06-05-2009, 08:55 AM
I have seen a couple of posts referring to "the rock". What exactly is this and what does it do?? Gonna order my machine next week and don't wanna miss out on anything that will help me be a better carver :)

Check the post, http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=92530&postcount=23 and the links as well.
AskBud

Kenm810
06-05-2009, 08:55 AM
You can read up on it with a forum search

http://forum.carvewright.com/images/misc/paperclip.gif (http://forum.carvewright.com/search.php?searchid=715573#) rock chuck (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=11511&highlight=Rock)

rjustice
06-05-2009, 10:53 AM

Hi Woodhacker,
You can see the chuck in question by clicking on the several links below in my signature. The order site is my first link. The YouTube videos show the chuck in action, and also an install process. Then finally my Email address if you have any questions.

Thanks for your interest!

Ron

Digitalwoodshop
06-05-2009, 12:07 PM
The earlier you switch the quicker it will pay for itself. I was changing QC's about every 6 months and 4 or 5 bit holders at the same time.

My CW sounds like a 3/8 inch drill now.... Much quieter and no more bit fluttering.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
06-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks to the CW and it's ability to cut my sheet stock I shipped this order today. I have a few sheets of glow in the dark material that I can make name or fire tags from now.

AL