PDA

View Full Version : Inaccurate Cuts/Drilling

hobbycentral
06-03-2009, 05:19 PM
I made up a pattern to cut parts from a piece of 12x6x.125" lite ply. There are 16 rectangles with some smaller squares and rectangles in them. Each inner piece has a 1/16 hole in the center. I have two issues, probably not related. The first issue: the CW drills the holes for all parts first and then cuts the parts. Half way through the board the holes do not line up and are off by as much as 1/4". I suspect that the board may be slipping but the first cut-outs are right. The other issue is that the CW cuts deeper on the half of the board that is nearest to the keypad on all cut-outs. It is significantly deeper (approx. 50%). I used a sled to hold the board. Would this be an alignment of some type?

Thanks
Bill
Hobby Central

pine acres woodshop
06-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Which way do they not line up the y-axis way or the x-axis way? I have had the y-axis slip on the cog located on the side away from the Lcd because it was loose so the belt sliped I just tightened up the belt. If it's the x-axis way it could be the head pressure is not enough or too much. It could be a number of things. As far as the carving deeper on one side I can't answer that one.

SteveEJ
06-03-2009, 05:47 PM
I made up a pattern to cut parts from a piece of 12x6x.125" lite ply. There are 16 rectangles with some smaller squares and rectangles in them. Each inner piece has a 1/16 hole in the center. I have two issues, probably not related. The first issue: the CW drills the holes for all parts first and then cuts the parts. Half way through the board the holes do not line up and are off by as much as 1/4". I suspect that the board may be slipping but the first cut-outs are right. The other issue is that the CW cuts deeper on the half of the board that is nearest to the keypad on all cut-outs. It is significantly deeper (approx. 50%). I used a sled to hold the board. Would this be an alignment of some type?

Thanks
Bill
Hobby Central

Bill,
I suspect the thickness of the ply and the fact that it may be finished might be causing it to slip. I would try to put some masking tape along the bottom of the plywood and try again or even attach to a sled or thicker piece. Masking tape is a good thing, especially along the bottom edge on the keyboard side where the sensor is.

Hope this helps,

Steve

ChrisAlb
06-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Hi Bill,

Sounds to me like the head is not level which is what's causing the deeper cuts on one side and most likely, also causing the slippage of your sled as well.

This "sticky" thread in the troubleshooting section has all the PDF files for the machine. I believe the one for leveling the head is also in there (somewhere...LOL).

http://forum.carvewright.com//showthread.php?t=2073

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress.

Digitalwoodshop
06-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Chris is right on picking up the deeper on one side problem being the dead not being level.

And Masking Tape will help too as it's all about the Brass Roller.... As the board indexes through the machine any slippage of the board to brass roller relates to error between the holes and cutout.

Even a thin smooth board carrier might help too as it will make up for any mild bumps on the bottom causing length errors.

Due to the Density issues of plywood and glue, there might also be some slipping of the board on the sand paper belts too.

Let us know,

AL

hobbycentral
06-03-2009, 07:22 PM
I'll take a look at levelling the head. It was in a sled made from 3/4" select pine, which is pretty smooth and so I will start adding the tape. Thanks for the fast input. What is the proper way to set the two feed tables - It looks like the wood gets bumped by one of them.

Thanks
Bill
Hobby Central

ChrisAlb
06-03-2009, 08:22 PM
I'll take a look at levelling the head. It was in a sled made from 3/4" select pine, which is pretty smooth and so I will start adding the tape. Thanks for the fast input. What is the proper way to set the two feed tables - It looks like the wood gets bumped by one of them.

Thanks
Bill
Hobby Central

I use two 4 foot levels for this. Place one on each side (keypad & opposite side) and lower the head down to hold them firm. Then I adjust the trays so they're just a snick below the levels. What's a snick? about 1/32"...lol

Make sure the head is level first of course.

mtylerfl
06-03-2009, 09:39 PM
... What is the proper way to set the two feed tables - It looks like the wood gets bumped by one of them.

Thanks
Bill
Hobby Central

Hello Bill,

See ISSUE 13 October 2008 Tips & Tricks (page 4) for tips on adjusting the outfeed tables so your board won't "bump". Also, you can actually lower the feed tables so they don't touch the board at all if the board is not too heavy (less than 20 lbs.) and if it is not too long (36" long or less). I have run 1x12x48 boards without the outfeed tables touching the board, but that's pushing the envelope. A "board bump" can definitely throw off the accuracy of the machine's performance, as well as an uneven head...check both, and use the masking tape to eliminate the problem.