PDA

View Full Version : Tips & Tricks, May 09

Don Butler
06-03-2009, 07:02 AM
I don't normally get wordy and enthusiastic over the monthly Tips and Tricks sent by email. Mike has been doing great work and I regard him as one of the best in this corner of the woodworking world. I hope to hear more, much more from him.

But a word on this latest edition, a different looking one, to be sure.
The appearance of the screens and pages aren't simple eye candy. The page segments fit the computer screen nicely, making it uneccesary to track up and down the page to follow along during on-screen reading. Nice.
It's obvious to me, the illustrations are designed by an experienced graphics designer. Still, not just eye candy, though. Very informative. Oh yes, and very nice.
The author uses words well. I was impressed with the word onomatopoeia! Not something you see on woodworking sites often.

HUMOR
Neat, sly, not smarmy. Nice.

The author, Doug Haffner, is, it seems to me, a fine teacher. He leads one along through the process, using dingbats in carving, logically, helpfully and skillfully. I salute you, Sir!
Teaching is a skill not well understood and badly executed by many. Good teachers are to be cherished. Mr. Haffner is one of those remarkable people, thinks I.

In conclusion, I thank Doug, first, and I thank CarveWright next, for producing May's Tips and Tricks edition.

mtylerfl
06-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Hello Don,

Thank you for your kind comments.

I LOVE the style that Doug came up with for his Tutorial - fun, informative, and just an all-around good time!! I think everyone is going to enjoy it as much as you and I have!

Thanks Doug, for the great job putting that together for all of us!

jab73180
06-03-2009, 09:13 AM
i thought his tutorial was excellant. the whole comic book theme was excellant. the only thing it was missing is the KA POWS and BLAMS. very informative and funny. great job!!

-Jason

ironsides
06-04-2009, 07:09 PM
I agree with all of the previous comments, but I guess if this style/format or presention continues, the color toner and inkjet suppliers are going to have to work overtime.

I always print out these T&T's and this issue drained my ink tanks.

ironsides:)

Steven Alford
06-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Then you should be taking a look at this printer.........

You can get one at inkproducts.com for $99
The ink lasts the equivalent of ten ink cartridges. Refils are $30 for four bottles of ink.
In the picture you can see the ink reservoirs on the left outside of the printer.

ironsides
06-05-2009, 12:36 AM
Then you should be taking a look at this printer.........

You can get one at inkproducts.com for $99
The ink lasts the equivalent of ten ink cartridges. Refils are $30 for four bottles of ink.
In the picture you can see the ink reservoirs on the left outside of the printer.

Just joking, actually my printer is a XEROX 8560 Phaser which uses solid ink cartridges and seems to never run out of ink. Check it out at the XEROX website.

ironsides:)

MCGEE2SKINNER
06-05-2009, 07:01 AM
Hi
I have a laser it goes on forever without refills. The color lasers are getting cheaper all the time.
JIM

Icutone2
06-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Steven, What printer is it you have coulden't find it on line
Thanks
Lee

Steven Alford
06-05-2009, 07:20 PM
It is the Epson C120.
They may not have it offered any more.

Available printers (http://www.inkproducts.com/ink-store/home.php?cat=8)

Above is what they have available on their website.

Dhaffner
06-07-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm thrilled to have been picked for the customer spotlight and was delighted that they decided to use my tutorial. I want to assure you all that I do love PC's and Mac (I've had some interesting emails regarding my attempt at humor about Vista and Mac...thank goodness I didn't mention a sports team! I suppose I could have mentioned the Cubs since they don't really count as a sports team...)

It seemed to me that one of the challenges for some (emphasis on SOME) owners is that they haven't had as much experience with computers. I'm glad some of you enjoyed it.

I just want to throw out a big "Thank You" to CarveWright and to the great folks on this forum that have enriched my experience with the machine and with others who enjoy the smell of sawdust in the morning.