PDA

View Full Version : walnut logs

supershingler
06-01-2009, 07:08 PM
i just bought 3 walnut logs, one is 15' and one is 17' and the third is 8'
all three are 13" across on the small end. i had to give 100 bucks for all three but it sounded like a deal to me.

just wondering if this was a good deal to did i get rolled. i tried to figure in my head bd ft that i might get and it sounded alright. i have a friend that just bought a bandsaw mill that i think will cut them up for me

any feedback appreciated.

kendall

ps going to have to figure out how to dry them faster. i dont think i will be able to leave walnut board laying around for a year waiting for them to dry lol

Dan-Woodman
06-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Well the facts are that fresh cut wood does need to air dry for about a year,and then kiln dried down to 6-8% moisture content. This is just what I have heard from experts in the woodworking club that I belong to. Walnut retails for around 7-8 $ per board ft. around hear,4-7 for cabinet suppliers.
later Daniel

bjbethke
06-01-2009, 10:32 PM
i just bought 3 walnut logs, one is 15' and one is 17' and the third is 8'
all three are 13" across on the small end. i had to give 100 bucks for all three but it sounded like a deal to me.

just wondering if this was a good deal to did i get rolled. i tried to figure in my head bd ft that i might get and it sounded alright. i have a friend that just bought a bandsaw mill that i think will cut them up for me

any feedback appreciated.

kendall

ps going to have to figure out how to dry them faster. i dont think i will be able to leave walnut board laying around for a year waiting for them to dry lol
That looks like that is about 240 bf. If the logs are straight and no defects you should get some nice eight inch wide boards. That's around 42 cents per bf. Saw mill lumber sell for around 75 cents to one dollar here in Arkansas. That should make a lot of carvings.

Digitalwoodshop
06-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Are the boards cut yet? Are the ends sealed with old paint or the professional stuff? If you don't seal the ends, the ends dry fast and split wasting about 6 to 12 inches of wood.

Look into Solar Kiln's.... They use a Solar Attic Fan to circulate air in a kiln box...

Look to Wood Web for ideas and plans.

Good Luck,

AL