PDA

View Full Version : What Depth Can I Cut Without Killing My Machine?

5twenty
05-31-2009, 11:31 PM
I know the Carvewright machine literature says that it can carve up to 1" deep. But I've heard some say on this forum that if you cut more than a quarter inch deep you are putting undue stress on the machine.

What's the true story here? Say I had a board 8"x10"x1.5". If I wanted to just hollow it out by making a 7"x9" square carving area with a depth of 1" would that hurt my machine? Should I be using different bits to accomplish this task than came with the machine? What if the same board was .9" thick and I wanted to carve all the way through, basically ending up with rectangular frame, would the technique be any different?

Thanks for your help.

Digitalwoodshop
06-01-2009, 09:55 AM
That task would be better done with a hand router and a jig. The hours of cutting time and the wear on the machine is better suited for creative designs.

Here is a jig I made to cut the slot into the 4 x 4 posts for my signs. A bigger version of this and a bigger bottom plate on your router would do this task much better and faster.

AL

5twenty
06-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks Al. I understand a better way would be to use a hand router for this, and I really don't want to make something like I said, but I am just trying to understand the limitations of the machine.

I am trying to understand why Carvewright says I can cut 1" deep but forum members say I shouldn't. What is going to happen if I do? Why would Carvewright advertise 1" deep cutting if something bad is going to happen to the machine?

HighTechOkie
06-01-2009, 01:19 PM
The machine can do cut outs up to 1" deep, and carve to a max depth of 0.8". Carving is done in raster format (think inkjet printer). Cut outs are done using a vector format. Vectors are paths or lines that the machine follows (like the perimeter of a box). Any object created using vectors can have a Max Depth per pass assigned to it. This ability has only existed for about 8 or 9 months, so keep that in mind when reading older posts. Different wood species have different hardness. If working with pine, trying to cut through a 1" board in one pass might be fine, but if when working with oak, a Max Depth of 0.25" per pass will result in less stress on the bit and less chance of the bit breaking, lower flex shaft temperatures, etc.

If this is a project you plan to repeat several times, then I would recommend using the machine to cut out 1/4" template from acrylic or suitable material, and use a hand router with template bit or bushing.

So in summary, the machine can cut 1" deep. When working with harder woods or plastic, set a Max Depth per pass and cut in multiple passes. The most common "damage" when cutting is breaking the 1/8" cutting bit which costs $40-$52 depending on supplier. There have been a few users lately the seem to have received soft bit adapters that can deform easier and not seat in the chuck tight. Then you risk breaking the QuickRout chuck. This can largely be avoided by always inspecting the bit and bit adapters each time you remove them from the machine.

Rob

5twenty
06-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Thanks Rob. The max depth per pass is the link I was missing. Thanks again.

Capt Bruce
05-30-2010, 11:55 PM
Hi 5twenty,

It's probably also worth mentioning that when you go to carve a depression like your 7" x 9" by using the 1/16" carving bit that because it is tapered to the tip your side walls will have a slight draft from top to bottom. I've been told, but have not measured the angle, that it is in the range of 3 1/2 degrees unlike a straight router bit.

If someone has the accurate angle please add it here. This could affect your design so just keep it in mind.

unitedcases
05-31-2010, 01:09 AM
I know from personal expericience that when it comes to cuts the ratio of the time it takes for you to cut it vice the machine is about 1 minute (you) to 20 minutes (the machine), at a minimum. I have some normal cuts that take the machine about an hour to an hour and 15 and I can do the cut myself with a jig saw in about 3 minutes. That is drawing the cutout and everything. Are my cuts as accurate? Well as we "military" employees say, "Good enough for government work"!