PDA

View Full Version : Extira sign help

Rick P
05-30-2009, 04:18 PM
I will be making a large sign using Extira. I will need to edge-glue 3 panels, each about 14" wide, together to get the full sign width. The length will be 48".

Can anyone suggest an adhesive for the edge-gluing and a process? Should I use biscuits as a reinforcement?

What is the process for priming and painting Extira? I have heard the surface of Extira is slightly oily and it needs to be washed with soap and water as a first step. Do the outside edges need to be sealed??

I hope to get my 4'x8' sheets of Extira next week.

Thanks !!!

pkunk
05-30-2009, 06:00 PM
OK.... from the Extera homepage. FAQ's http://www.extira.com/pageBuild.asp?PageID=B_faq_e#7

Old Salt
05-30-2009, 06:02 PM
hate to look dumb but what is extria - pvc plastic -fiber ?
is it a new material or brand name?

Old Salt
05-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks Pkunk new to me.
sounds ok may give it a try for outside, have used PVC trim boards with good luck .

Rick P
05-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks pkunk...I had been to the Extira website before, but had not seen the finishing/adhesive document...helps a lot.

Does Extira have a little oil on the surface that needs to be washed and sanded ??

Have you ever used biscuits with Extira? Anyone else ??

HighTechOkie
05-30-2009, 08:08 PM
You might do a search over on Sawmillcreek.org. I have read a few posts over there from guys who use Extira. I seem to recall a lengthy discussion of Extira vs SignFoam also.

Rob

Ken Massingale
05-31-2009, 05:38 AM
I will be making a large sign using Extira. I will need to edge-glue 3 panels, each about 14" wide, together to get the full sign width. The length will be 48".

Can anyone suggest an adhesive for the edge-gluing and a process? Should I use biscuits as a reinforcement?

What is the process for priming and painting Extira? I have heard the surface of Extira is slightly oily and it needs to be washed with soap and water as a first step. Do the outside edges need to be sealed??

I hope to get my 4'x8' sheets of Extira next week.

Thanks !!!

Rick,
Titebond 3 is fine for use on Extira.
Biscuits help with alignment but actually don't add to strength.
I read that Extira needs a bath also, but I spoke with their reps and they scoffed at that. I wipe the pieces with a rag dampened with Mineral Spirits like I do when using ply or solid wood.
As mentioned, just follow Extira's suggestions for primer and paint, you'll love working with the stuff. I used Sherwin Williams products and it still looks like new after a year beside a busy highway.
ken

PDF doc with primer/paint info: http://www.extira.com/pdf/extira_using.pdf

Rick P
05-31-2009, 09:54 AM
Thank you for the comments Ken !!!

Titebond III is not on the Extira adhesives list, unless that is the same as
Titebond Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive?
Did the Rep suggest Titebond III?

Titebond II is on their list.

I can also screw on a brace over the joints on the back of the sign. I'm guessing Extira will take a screw very well.

Ken Massingale
06-01-2009, 06:44 AM
Thank you for the comments Ken !!!

Titebond III is not on the Extira adhesives list, unless that is the same as
Titebond Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive?
Did the Rep suggest Titebond III?

Titebond II is on their list.

I can also screw on a brace over the joints on the back of the sign. I'm guessing Extira will take a screw very well.

Morning Rick,
I asked about Titebond II and III. When they listed II Titebond hadn't released their III exterior glue.

I've installed/mounted large exterior signs with Extira 2 ways.
Some have been same size replacements for existing signs (for these I use 1/2" thick Extira), on these I applied silicone exterior adhesive on the original and attached the new sign with # 6 wood screws around the perimeter. When the signs are in place I install a 'picture frame' with mitered corners to hide the screw heads. (the screws could be countersunk, holes filled and painted)

For new signs I use 3/4" Extira if the sign is single sided, if double sided I use 2 layers of 1/2". 2 layers of 3/4" is overkill IMO. Extira is heavy and very ridgid. If the sign is square or rectangular I usually picture frame it unless the customer prefers it plain. If it has curves I typically paint the edge with a contrasting color from the surface.

If you joint the component pieces and use Titebond with good clamping practices I don't feel you will need to use braces. Wood glue is stronger than wood or composite. (Extira is denser than MDF so yes, it works well with screws.)

Good luck, don't hesitate to holler if you have more questions.
ken

Rick P
06-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Thank you Ken ...

What primer & paint have you had good luck with??

Once primed & painted white I will mask the panel and do the carve.
Then paint the carved text green.

For outside signs to you spray on a clear coat of something with UV protection??

Ken Massingale
06-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Thank you Ken ...

What primer & paint have you had good luck with??

Once primed & painted white I will mask the panel and do the carve.
Then paint the carved text green.

For outside signs to you spray on a clear coat of something with UV protection??

Hey Rick,
I actually went to a Sherwin Williams store and they knew which primer to recommend. As for the paint, they recommended one to match the primer.
No, no clearcoat is needed with a good quality exterior paint. I stopped by the first one I did over 12 months ago a couple of days ago and other than a little road dust it looks like it was just installed.

Rick P
06-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Thank you Again Ken...

I just got back from our local Sherman Williams store...I'm set for primer and paint. Now on to cutting the Extira sheet into 12" x 48" panels. I'm doing two identical signs that will have mounting posts between them...I went with the 3/4" thick Extira and boy you are RIGHT, Extira is heavy !!!

Rick P
06-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Well, I was just informed by an experienced sign maker that the best way to edge glue Extira is to use epoxy.

Ken Massingale
06-03-2009, 06:19 AM
Well, I was just informed by an experienced sign maker that the best way to edge glue Extira is to use epoxy.
I suppose that wouldn't be a problem Rick. However I think I'll 'stick' :-) with Titebond since Extira recommends it and I haven't had any issues.

Rick P
06-04-2009, 12:49 AM
I did a test with Titebond II and the West Systems epoxy...after 3 hours the Titebond was the stronger bond.

I am doing another test and letting the pieces stay clamped overnight. I think the epoxy needs 5 to 6 hours (or more) to be a strong bond. Anyone know if that's true???

I took the Sherman Wiilliams acrylic latex primer back because I was told water based is not good for Extira. I got some Zinsser Cover-Stain Sealer-Primer, which is oil based and recommended by the Extira folks.

I was checking the Letterville.com Bulletin Board for sign making help. That is a good site to get help. Most sign makers at that site are not very high on the Carvewright...it's just a nice little toy to them. But you can get great basic sign making advice there.

In hind sight I should have bought 1/2" Extira and glued an exterior 1/4" backing to it. So much to learn, so little time!!!

Rick P
06-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Well, the overnight test is complete and the epoxy was by far a stronger bond than the Titebond II.

The TBII samples all broke along the bond line.

The epoxied samples broke away from the bond site...the Extira itself cracked.

The epoxy needs at least 6 hours and even longer to get to FULL strength.