PDA

View Full Version : need a wider board

hess
05-29-2009, 05:11 AM
Tell me when you need to join 2 prices of wood to make it wider going long ways, Is it better to use a butt joint or put a a45 and each joined side. I was just wondering if one show the joint more after carved

Thanks
Hess

sewpeck
05-29-2009, 05:31 AM
a butt joint would show far less in a carved region rather than an angled joint, an angled joint has much more area showing in a carving.

supershingler
05-29-2009, 07:33 AM
i use a lot of glueups in the things i make

i always just use a flat to flat glueup and havent had a problem.

if im doing anything over 6 " wide i like to make a glued up panel to reduce cupping in the final project.

kendall

www.go3d.us
05-29-2009, 01:28 PM
I would joint them like this.

Digitalwoodshop
05-29-2009, 02:41 PM
NORM even stopped using Biscuits in later years as he showed shots of a big Table from years earlier and with the moisture in the biscuit, it's expansion, and wetting of the board it swelled up. The picture showed clearly after the table had aged the biscuit Divots on the top of the Table.

He only uses them for Alignment now.... But I think he is done doing NYW and just introducing shows from the past. Unless he just spent a season trying to bring the TOH ratings back up?

AL

earlyrider
05-29-2009, 10:12 PM
The butt joints are the way to go; if you're joining the edges first, then plane or thickness sand the slab to final thickness. While the boards are being glued up, you can put some clamps at the joints to help line up while you're snugging down on the other clamps. I haven't seen the need for a splined joint as I do all the surfacing myself. If you have to use S2S or S4S boards, go for it. I don't recommend a finger joint unless its on end grain; try to move these joints where they will not be carved (glue pockets and voids might be exposed).
Ron

hess
05-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks all for the input. Looks like the butts have it.lol

Thanks
Hess