PDA

View Full Version : Working with images and depth

Galations5.5
05-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Quick run down,
i am currently using blender to create images and to modify them but when I import a jpg file into the software there is no way of adjusting the max depth of the carving. I do understand that the black is max depth and white is the 0 on the z axes.

Thanks beforehand for any help

blantz
05-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Galations5.5,

The caevewright software will convert the image into a height map. When you import the image into carvewright designer to convert into a pattern, there will be a place to set the depth of the pattern. See attached picture. When working with patterns on a project the depth can also be adjusted from .000” to .797”.

Digitalwoodshop
05-28-2009, 07:33 PM
If you have the option to export as a .png image, it works better than a .jpg.

AL

Galations5.5
05-29-2009, 07:13 AM
Thanks for all the help

luckettg
05-30-2009, 05:30 PM
If you have the option to export as a .png image, it works better than a .jpg.
AL

Al,
I have been playing with this and cannot tell the difference, but I have been following your advice anyway. Could you elaborate as to why the PNG is better than the JPG, or the other formats for that matter...such as BMP? They are all raster type files but the compression routines might be the difference, except for the BMP which is not compressed?
Thanks,
Greg.

bjbethke
05-30-2009, 06:04 PM
The PNG and GIF formats will not add a background to the image. All other raster formats add a background to the image.

Bill_M
06-10-2009, 04:28 PM
I scanned an object but it seems to be too thick to work correctly. I see in the documentation that the max depth is .800 in. My scan shows .971. I want to be able to slice off the bottom of the scanned pattern to get it to .75 but I cannot seem to figure out how to do this. I open the .mpw file and there does not seem to be a way to do what I want. Can someone help ?

Thanks, Bill

mtylerfl
06-10-2009, 04:40 PM
I scanned an object but it seems to be too thick to work correctly. I see in the documentation that the max depth is .800 in. My scan shows .971. I want to be able to slice off the bottom of the scanned pattern to get it to .75 but I cannot seem to figure out how to do this. I open the .mpw file and there does not seem to be a way to do what I want. Can someone help ?

Thanks, Bill

Hello Bill - two ways to get under the .8" limit...(NOT slicing off the bottom, though - just adjusting the overall depth/height)

1) Go ahead and save the MPW as a PTN, then when you drag the PTN onto your board, you simply type in whatever depth and/or height you wish in the "Depth" and "Height" boxes

2) When you open the MPW in the Pattern Editor, there is a Depth box where you can type in any Depth you wish. Then you can save it as a PTN and the new Depth you specified will be saved with the pattern.

TIP: Be sure to read through (all) the Tips & Tricks issues. They have all kinds of info that may help you as you are learning how to use your machine and the software.

Bill_M
06-10-2009, 04:58 PM
thank you, I tried what you suggested and it does reduce the height and I can upload the project. However, there is another reason that I wanted to slice off the bottom. When I scanned the object, a rectangular piece of wood with a flower pattern on the face, I made the scan area slightly larger than the object. So when I import the scan, it has additional layer or thickness on the bottom what was not originally there. When I move the cursor around on this extra material, it shows a z of .644 on a .75 in board. So there is added thickness of .11 in.

mtylerfl
06-10-2009, 05:21 PM
thank you, I tried what you suggested and it does reduce the height and I can upload the project. However, there is another reason that I wanted to slice off the bottom. When I scanned the object, a rectangular piece of wood with a flower pattern on the face, I made the scan area slightly larger than the object. So when I import the scan, it has additional layer or thickness on the bottom what was not originally there. When I move the cursor around on this extra material, it shows a z of .644 on a .75 in board. So there is added thickness of .11 in.

Hello Bill,

Take a read of the - ISSUE 9 June 2008 "Scanning Sled Techniques" (http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_TipsandTricks_Newsletters/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Jun08.pdf) to help you avoid that problem in the future...or, watch the "How It Works" Scanning Probe Video (http://www.carvebuddy.com/scanningvideo_how_it_works.html) to see how placing a spacer under the probe prior to scanning will eliminate an undesired edge around your scanned object.

For now, the only recourse you have is either do a re-scan (using the tips I mentioned in the article/video) or manually erase the undesired edge from your MPW using the Pattern Editor.

Hope that helps!