PDA

View Full Version : Lube Question

MCGEE2SKINNER
05-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Hi
Will any chain lube with moly work on the wire cable?

Jim McGee

earlyrider
05-27-2009, 09:23 AM
I think yes, the moly is the key. Just be sure to wipe off the excess to preserve the top spindle bearing.
Ron

Rick P
05-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Cranes Cam Assembly Lube is the best for the CW flex shaft.

scouse
05-28-2009, 03:35 PM
I have a 17hour old carvewright machine, the flexshaft just blew apart during use, no where in the manual does Carvewright give any advice as to how long between lubrication, Texas was very abrupt with me when I phoned for help, said parts were back ordered, so that was that, not impressed at all with Carvewright, finally contacted the Canadian distr', they were very helpful, though I still ended up paying out for parts, so far machine was $2500.00, bits were $600.00 and machine lasted 17 hours and 19 mins and Carvewright USA could not give a dead rats *** !!!!!

supershingler
05-28-2009, 06:49 PM
scouse

did you lube your flex shaft before using it? this is a step that is sometimes overlooked by some that is excited about bet the carver up and running.

i have 160 hrs on my machine and i have only lubed it three time although it is due again. a tip that was giving to me and i do on every carve is to grab the flex shaft whenever i blow out the sawdust to see if it is running hot.

im not in any way trying to pick on you with this answer just try to help so the problem wont happen to you again

good luck and hang in there. the thing you can do far outway a couple of problems.

kendall

fishcarver
05-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Awsome another happy camper!!!!!!!!!!!
had about the same problem with mine, after 115.00 for a new FS i got some crane cam lube it is the best!!!! just smeer it on put it back in the rubber case and your good too go untill the next problem, i plan on lubeing the cable and any other parts that might need lube at least every 15-20 hrs
Stacey

Rocky
05-29-2009, 04:08 AM
I have a 17hour old carvewright machine, the flexshaft just blew apart during use, no where in the manual does Carvewright give any advice as to how long between lubrication, Texas was very abrupt with me when I phoned for help, said parts were back ordered, so that was that, not impressed at all with Carvewright, finally contacted the Canadian distr', they were very helpful, though I still ended up paying out for parts, so far machine was $2500.00, bits were $600.00 and machine lasted 17 hours and 19 mins and Carvewright USA could not give a dead rats *** !!!!!

Like the folks said, lubrication is important. However, in your case, you had every right to expect:

1. Good service and a no charge replacement flexshaft from LHR (I have found the folks at LHR to be very helpful, although it is a little hard to reach them sometimes).
2. The LHR assembly folks to have properly lubricated the flexshaft prior to shipping. (I don't recall any set up instruction saying that one needs to lube the flexshaft before first use.)

The CW is a good product and I'm sure you will enjoy using it; but, it does require one to be vigilant and maintain it properly.

After about a year of reviewing posts on this site, I have come to the conclusion that there needs to be a better quality control process at the LHR assembly line. Two of my problems were definitely original asembly problems.

Again, the CW is a nice addition to a wood shop. I'm not sorry that I bought mine.

scouse
05-29-2009, 09:18 AM
Thanks Rocky, you are right, in the end all I could get was 1/2 price for a flex-shaft and I ended up buying another at full price because now I am nervous, I have learned though, now I will lubricate the shaft before I install it !!! one suggestion to Carvewright is that they put a written warning in with each machine and a suggested lubrication time, or are they just trying to make money on parts ??

Wilbur
05-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Does the cable not come already lubricated ?

My cable on my second machine ran hot out of the box I lubricated three times with no luck. I have a meter attaches to the cable so I can see the temp. It has gotten up to 289°F. I use a fan to blow across the machine and that helpted by 10°. My first machine cable never ran hot at all.

Now think about this. My last two 6 hr carvings the cable has been under 90° The cable not even warm.

I have no idea what has caused this drop in temp but happy it is down.

I am using the rock chuck but can't give the drop to its use.

I should not say this because I know when I do something will go wrong but here goes. My machine is running very good, so I know there are some if not a lot that are running good with very little trouble.

Wilbur

Kenm810
05-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Here's a post from 9/11/07 that mentioned to be careful and watch out
for a few of the machines that were coming through with improper proper lubrication, or no lubrication at all.
I also caution to watch for any sharp bends or kinks it the flex-shaft that can make it often over heat.

A Message to all new CW and CC Machine Owners (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=4526&highlight=Lubrication)

Wilbur
05-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Could be what was wrong with mine. After three lubs, I guess that was equal to one good one, I have little to no heat now.

Wilbur

Rocky
05-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Here's a post from 9/11/07 that mentioned to be careful and watch out
for a few of the machines that were coming through with improper proper lubrication, or no lubrication at all.
I also caution to watch for any sharp bends or kinks it the flex-shaft that can make it often over heat.

A Message to all new CW and CC Machine Owners (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=4526&highlight=Lubrication)

Ken,

Your post supports my belief that LHR has a quality control issue to deal with. They have such a good product, and it is to bad that CW's are allowed to leave the assembly plant without having the benefit of a good quality control system.

BBrooks
05-30-2009, 04:36 AM
FYI...

I got the Cranes Cam lube from the following link or go to www.jegs.com and search for 990022-1.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Crane/270/99002-1/10002/

$8.99 for two, 2 oz. tubes. Ordered 2 and was $27.00 incl shipping. Stuff works great!

cheers,

Rick P
05-30-2009, 01:17 PM
To Wilbur in Post #9 ... the ROCK will allow the flex shaft to run cooler. Just by feeling with my hand I would bet mine runs at least 20 degrees cooler with the ROCK chuck. I am using Cranes Cam Assembly Lube, so heat in the flex shaft was not a big issue for me even with the QC.

But, some of the QCs are quite unbalanced and that translates to heat in the flex shaft. Lube is extremely important when using the QC...my 2 cents.

Wilbur
05-30-2009, 03:39 PM
I did not see a drop in temp when I installed the rock. Not saying it did not help. I just did not see a change until I lubed for the third time.
Now I have a temp of a good 100°F difference. I am now running around 78° all the time.
The only way I would be able to tell if the Rock makes a difference would be to install the QC and see what happens.
I suspect that my problem was the cable itself.

Wilbur

Wilbur
05-31-2009, 07:13 AM
Well I knew I should have never said anything good about my CC. At bit change time yesterday I got a close cover.
This is not new to me so I will go see if I can find one at Radio Shack. I had to remove the cover to check out the switch and when I removed the Flex cable what did I find, The outer jacket is melted. From the heat I guess but the cable is running good , smooth and cool after third lube.
So what comes next, all down hill from here I suppose.

Wilbur

scouse
05-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Now Carvewright is telling me officially, because the factory is in China and it takes 6 weeks to get to America, then is stored in a warehouse until sold ,the flexshaft could have dried out !!! all of there advertizing says ready for use right out of the box, any videos that I watched prior to purchase never mentioned lubricate the flexshaft prioe to intial use, the president of this company might be proud of his increased sales, but it will soon die with after sales service like what I have run into, as I said to Carvewright in reply, its like buying a new car , driving it just off the show lot and the wheels fall off, and the dealer saying you should have greased the wheels, it was parked a long time on our lot !!! Not good enough, a warning to potential purchasers, ask a lot of questions before even considering purchase, this company in my opinion, does not stand behind its product.

PCW
05-31-2009, 09:43 AM
It might be a good idea to put a red tag on the flex cable stating lube prior to use that would at least give the buyer some warning.

They could even include a sample of the recommended lube for the first time setup if this is the case.

DocWheeler
05-31-2009, 09:53 AM
scouse,

It is my belief that in one of your statements you are correct and wrong in another.

As PCW states, it would be a simple solution to include a warning with the machine. It may be hard for us to understand the inner workings of LHR to understand why this is not done.

On the issue of LHR not standing behind their product, I believe that to be an inaccurate statement.

Kenm810
05-31-2009, 10:26 AM
Over the last 50 years or so, that I’ve been buying tools and machines for my wood and metal shops,
I seldom found a manufacturer that could get their finished product a 100% right, -- a 100% of the time.
There always seemed to be parts missing, parts that didn’t fit, or do what they were supposed to do,
even missing instructions, manuals, plans or drawings.
I once had a company ship me their only set of dies for their milling machine that they used to make the parts that I ordered
--- they had to shut down the line and search for them, until I called and told them I received their dies UPS in the parts box.
They asked if I would send them back --- then I had to convince them to pay the return shipping.
So I’ve learned to expect the unexpected and never assume anything is going to be perfect,
correct, or working right out of the box, if you do --it will only come back to bite you or cost you, if you’re not careful.

Several years ago I had purchased a new GM Station Wagon for making family road trips,
on the way home from the Dealership, I got about half way and the engine light came on,
I pulled into a nearby service station --- no engine oil.
When the Dealership prepped the car, they didn’t noticed the missing oil pan plug -- Duh!! -- Lesson Learned. :???:

scouse
06-01-2009, 02:44 PM
To Doc Wheeler, sorry Doc but I don't believe either of my statements to be wrong, if you call charging me for a new flexshaft on a 17hour cut time machine, that came with no warning to lubricate and indeed all advertizing states "use straight out of the box" then I am wrong, the other post mentioned buying a GM car with no oil, it did not mention if the purchaser paid for the mistake or the car dealer, my bet is the dealer fixed the problem, I wish I could be proved wrong by Carvewright but so far they have not done so.

TCboy
06-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Has anyone ever stopped to think that maybe, over time, that the lubrication could have possibly dried???

I mean, I seriously doubt that the machines come straight from the factory to us. If that was the case, it would take at least 2 months from the time we order to receive the thing from the factory in China.

My guess is that the machines are in a warehouse, sitting idly until purchased.

Is it possible that the lubricants can dry out over time? Yes.

Does it happen? Yes.

Should we check everything that we buy, just to COA? Yes.

Not saying you are at fault scouse, but everyone should check all lubrication in anything that they purchase that requires it.

DocWheeler
06-01-2009, 03:14 PM
scouse,

I have issues with LHR myself, I did a rant yesterday in fact. I am sorry that you came out on the short end of the problem that you Had, I really am!

My contention is that LHR has shown themselves to be a company that attempts to correct the problems that arise. For the most-part I see that they have done better than most companies that I have dealt with.

So, I think that LHR stands behind their product very well, perhaps some instances do not work out well for the user, but that is, to me, a little different. You are correct that the example of the car dealership letting a car go with a loose or missing drain plug should be the one responsible for damages. Having the flexshaft dry out from sitting idle for a long period is a stretch to make it a similar problem in my way of thinking. Think about that, who would you expect to examine the flexshaft at the time of your purchase?

As I stated above, there should be a warning about this issue, but there isn't.

I must be a very slow typist, TCboy got in here well before I posted!

scouse
06-01-2009, 03:28 PM
I appreciate all your input, however, what you say still does not negate the fact that there was no warning about flexshaft lubrication out of the box, your comment is all well and good if you are familiar with the machine, I was not, I did however watch several videos on the machine before purchase and again no were did they mention pre-lubrication, how is one to tell if every thing is lubricated well enough other than by using, nothing appeared amiss until it quit working, now, if anything else is damaged I have fat chance of getting it fixed by carvewright under warranty because they will blame it all on the flexshaft, for which they claim no responsibilty, I'm sorry, but if you purchase something in good faith, are not advised to take precautionary steps prior to first use, then the manufacturer should have a measure of responsibility, in this case a free flexshaft.

scouse
06-01-2009, 03:31 PM
TC Boy,
When you last bought a new car, before you took it for a test drive did you check the oil level in the engine ?

fatguy1965
06-01-2009, 05:55 PM
I also watched several videos and read up before my CC was delivered. Nothing on checking the flexshaft lube. Burned it up in 4 hours total. I called and it was not covered and costs $75. Luckily I purchased from Sears. I could have returned it but would not get a replacement at the sale price I had before. Sears agreed to credit my card $80 so I could get a new flex shaft. Lisa will be shipping me one out. I won't make this mistake again!

Where is the best place to buy the GUNK lubricant?

mabco12
06-01-2009, 06:04 PM
If the machine sit idle for any amount of time there should be a notice placed in every package to lube the flex shaft before operation!! This would at least save a few problems!!

PCW
06-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Below is a tread that list several places to purchase the lube.

Lube Question (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=11178&highlight=gunk&page=2)

supershingler
06-01-2009, 06:08 PM
i would try an auto parts store for the lubes that you need.

i just use an assembly lube with moly that i bought at the local parts store and have had really good luck with it. just remember to get enough lube but not too much.

i put a small line of lube on the flex shaft and rub it in. then i repeat the process again, and usually it take a third time before i feel it i fully lubed.

then i imeaditely wipe of the excess with a paper towel or rag. i dont soak it overnight like some do but this works for me. i ususally write down the hour on the machine when i lube it and try to do it every 40 to 50 hrs of run time.

i for one dont wait until the shaft starts getting warm before i relube.

i have had good luck using my system(right or wrong).
just dont ask me about my qc's

good luck

kendall

Chief38
06-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Just picked up some chain lube with moly from the local Honda cycle shop. About $13.00 for the spray can. None of the auto parts stores had any lube with moly. The Gunk Liquid wrench with moly is the industrial lube L716.

Herb

TCboy
06-02-2009, 09:00 AM
TC Boy,
When you last bought a new car, before you took it for a test drive did you check the oil level in the engine ?

You don't check the cars you buy before you test drive them?

scouse
06-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Used cars, Yes, new cars ? how many people do you know ,Honestly, that check out a new car for lubricant in all points before test driving ?

Rocky
06-02-2009, 03:29 PM
I'm having a hard time accepting the "lubricant dried out" theory. Is this really the position of LHR or is it the position of an LHR service rep trying to "sell" a possibility? The red warning tag idea is a good one if LHR, as a company, believes the "lubricant dried out" theory. If they don't support it, then LHR may not wish to add such a tag.

One of my first problems with the CW were two screws that came loose behind the Z-truck and caused my Z-truck to "jam" and stall (the 2 screws are on a clip that is attached to the drive belt). Should LHR also add another warning that customers should check that all screws are properly tightened? I don't think so.

Wilbur
06-02-2009, 04:42 PM
I am with you on this. If the lubricant dried out that fast, just how long would it last when in use.
On mine When I took the cable out it was dry. I got it lubed up and running the heck out of it and that bugger stays cool all day.
I don't think there was any put on it in the first place.

Wilbur