PDA

View Full Version : Considering the Carvewright

weekendofsound
05-26-2009, 07:04 PM
alright, so I am considering purchasing a carvewright or compucarve primarily to make guitar parts and possibly recreating/rehabbing old picture frames.

I have no experience with cnc machines, but I do have some with graphic imaging. Primarily I like the carvewright because it seems pretty user friendly and has a cutting area that is wide enough for what I need it for.

what made you choose the carvewright? What are the worst and best experiences you have had?

I am interested in the probe attachment, and I am curious- does it create a workable copy of what it is scanning that you can edit, or does it just scan and then cut?

BBrooks
05-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Welcome to the forums and fun.
I've got about 85 hours on mine now and have enjoyed it thoroughly. It does require maintenance and care but it is worth the effort. Browse the gallery for the many amazing things fellow carvers have made and I mean innovative and creative. I am humbled by some of this stuff and been working wood for 40 years.
I would recommend reading through the many many posts of the good the bad and the ugly things that have happend and I believe you will find the bad and the ugly are mostly due to operator error and admittedly so.
Cheers,

Digitalwoodshop
05-26-2009, 08:38 PM
I agree... This Forum is like an open book of Knowledge that all you need to do is search and read. I will be up to you to read through the thousands of posts about the things you need and want to know.

Will it be easy to make production parts and Picture Frames.... Yes and NO....

The Artwork will be the hard part.... Read all the info here and other links like ASKBUD and you will get the big picture. Taking a .jpg picture and making a carving is the most challenging thing... You will find there are other formats like .png and programs that will let you do the work. A new format is just becoming available and will be released soon.

Good Luck,

AL

Download the FREE Designer program and give it a shot..... 30 days I think..... then it turns off.

Rocky
05-27-2009, 04:50 AM
Welcome to the forums and fun.
I've got about 85 hours on mine now and have enjoyed it thoroughly. It does require maintenance and care but it is worth the effort. Browse the gallery for the many amazing things fellow carvers have made and I mean innovative and creative. I am humbled by some of this stuff and been working wood for 40 years.
I would recommend reading through the many many posts of the good the bad and the ugly things that have happend and I believe you will find the bad and the ugly are mostly due to operator error and admittedly so.
Cheers,

This and Al's feedback would be mine, too.

Rocky
05-27-2009, 04:54 AM
I agree... This Forum is like an open book of Knowledge that all you need to do is search and read. I will be up to you to read through the thousands of posts about the things you need and want to know.

Will it be easy to make production parts and Picture Frames.... Yes and NO....

The Artwork will be the hard part.... Read all the info here and other links like ASKBUD and you will get the big picture. Taking a .jpg picture and making a carving is the most challenging thing... You will find there are other formats like .png and programs that will let you do the work. A new format is just becoming available and will be released soon.

Good Luck,

AL

Download the FREE Designer program and give it a shot..... 30 days I think..... then it turns off.

Al,

You got my attention! What new format are you referring to? Is it one generated by LHR?

Thanks,

TWOATLOW8
05-27-2009, 06:10 AM
STL format will be comming soon..
I dont have the link but it was in the May newsleter:-D