PDA

View Full Version : Software help

CraigR
05-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Is there any good tutorials on how and when to use the utilities in designer?

cestout
05-26-2009, 04:51 PM
I can see where they would be handy. The attach and un-attach for example. Clicking on the correct point to do this is sometimes difficult if there are many numbers in the area. I would just experiment.
Clint

AskBud
05-26-2009, 05:28 PM

It appears that these Utilities are the reverse of out method of Right Clicking a line, or such, and then getting options at the top of our design.
From my short test using a line, or connected lines, I see where the chance process may become easier. There will still be a need to "Zoom" our design from time to time to better view the work on a small (busy) section.
AskBud

bjbethke
05-26-2009, 05:57 PM
This is covered in the new manual.
http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/CarveWrightSoftwareManual_rev1.02.pdf

See pages 71 to 76.

CraigR
05-26-2009, 06:24 PM
This is covered in the new manual.
http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/CarveWrightSoftwareManual_rev1.02.pdf

See pages 71 to 76.Thanks but I was hoping to see some kind of video, I guess I'm getting old and it's just harder for me to read something then put into practice.

CraigR
05-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Ok, more to the point lets say I wanted to attach a circle to a rectangle the remove a little of the circle how do I do that?

mtylerfl
05-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Hello Craig,

If I understand you correctly, it's a fairly easy task...

Turn on the Snap Function and specify the desired grid spacing you want (Layout/Snap).

Using the Connected Line Tool, draw a rectangle. Then, on the end you want the circle, use the Change Form Tool to make that end line an arc by clicking on that line while the Change Form Tool is active. Switch to your normal selection arrow, then drag out the circle as desired.

CraigR
05-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the help mtylerfl. Ok I have the shape I want now how do I get it to the correct size? I want it 13.375 long and 3.75 wide but changing in the boxes doesn't work.

mtylerfl
05-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the help mtylerfl. Ok I have the shape I want now how do I get it to the correct size? I want it 13.375 long and 3.75 wide but changing in the boxes doesn't work.

Hello Craig,

Make sure you have selected the shape with the standard Selection Tool (the arrow) before typing in the box.

Typing in the boxes should certainly change the size, HOWEVER you may have to "tweak" the shape nodes after resizing anyway. Sometimes hand-drawn shapes can "go wacky" on you when trying to resize. When resizing, it is unlikely that type of shape will remain true to the original form you drew. Best to draw it the actual finished size you want to avoid double work.

EDIT: Added an mpc and photo for you

Digitalwoodshop
05-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Could that be used to make a half of a OVAL.... Tried the other day to make half of a oval starting with a full oval but could not make it work. Shaped like a finger nail.

AL

bjbethke
05-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Could that be used to make a half of a OVAL.... Tried the other day to make half of a oval starting with a full oval but could not make it work. Shaped like a finger nail.

AL
You could change one side of an rectangle. It kind of looks like a finger nail.

Digitalwoodshop
05-27-2009, 08:09 PM
I was able to do the same with the half circle but not a half oval profile... Thought there might be a way to break a oval and add a 90 degree line in the middle.

I could always hand trace a oval to do it manually.

AL

AskBud
05-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Try drawing the rough shape using the "Connected Line" Icon.
Once that is finished, change the section(s) you wish to "Splines" and tweak your design.
AskBud

Digitalwoodshop
05-27-2009, 09:16 PM
I was able to do the same with the half circle but not a half oval profile... Thought there might be a way to break a oval and add a 90 degree line in the middle.

I could always hand trace a oval to do it manually.

AL

That was mentioned.