PDA

View Full Version : Spelling Problem

jwhllh55
05-26-2009, 03:13 AM
Well, After checking and re-checking, I just guess I can read or see.. Old age.. I was making 40 cutting boards for a customer and as you can see in the MPC file it was simple and clean. However I mis-spelled Birthday and left out the "h" in the word.
Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? I have thought of wood filler or Raster over it.
I can't plain it down any more to recarve it, so that isn't an option.
The wood is mahogany and can't be replaced without a very expense cost.
If anyone has a idea, please let me know..
Thanks,
John

hess
05-26-2009, 03:36 AM
Now that is something I would do. Sorry man hope you find save
Hess

brdad
05-26-2009, 05:07 AM
That stinks!

Anyway, this was my thought - Run the boards through carving an recess of Oregon over the bad text, and then run them through again with centerline in a carved region. The lowest spot in the current text seems to be .96", so .1" depth for the state should be about right to hide all the current text.

FINGERS
05-26-2009, 07:53 AM
run them thur a planner or a drum sander and start over:oops:

Kenm810
05-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Fill and Paint the bad ones, then recarve the text on the back :???:

jwhllh55
05-26-2009, 10:36 AM
That stinks!

Anyway, this was my thought - Run the boards through carving an recess of Oregon over the bad text, and then run them through again with centerline in a carved region. The lowest spot in the current text seems to be .96", so .1" depth for the state should be about right to hide all the current text.

I like your idea. However, how do I get the lettering to show up better? I could use raster, but centerline looks better. The (fix1) is the best idea I have seen yet, if I can get the lettering to show deeper.
Ok, let me see if I have this right. Carve the Oregon state first. Then run the centerline next. Will the CW see the depth at the edge or the center of the board? I haven't tried this before..
I guess I could make a sample out of trash wood and try it. I'm just thinking out loud..
Thank you for your insight and effort.
John Hammett
Baker City, OR

jwhllh55
05-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Fill and Paint the bad ones, then recarve the text on the back :???:

I thought about filling the bad text and recarving, but it's a cutting board and the other side has a groove around the edge.

jwhllh55
05-26-2009, 10:54 AM
That stinks!

By the way, I'll let you know how it comes out.. I'm running a sample now.
Thanks,

Digitalwoodshop
05-26-2009, 11:34 AM
How about inlaying a piece of wood the same shape as the state?

AL

brdad
05-26-2009, 12:48 PM
I like your idea. However, how do I get the lettering to show up better? I could use raster, but centerline looks better. The (fix1) is the best idea I have seen yet, if I can get the lettering to show deeper.
Ok, let me see if I have this right. Carve the Oregon state first. Then run the centerline next. Will the CW see the depth at the edge or the center of the board? I haven't tried this before..
I guess I could make a sample out of trash wood and try it. I'm just thinking out loud..
Thank you for your insight and effort.
John Hammett
Baker City, OR

You need to do the recessed text as a new project (hide the carving and text that is already completed). Make sure your machine is set to manually jog to position, and when the machine asks you to jog to that position, jog to an area within the recess. The machine will think your board is .1" thinner and carve the centerline as if the recess is the top of the board.

Please note, CW advises against this, though it has been done and you should have no problem at .1". I carved centerline in a carve region at .2" on the project below without a problem.

http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16273&d=1223732937

How about inlaying a piece of wood the same shape as the state?

That is a nice idea, too!

Digitalwoodshop
05-26-2009, 02:39 PM
I can Print Color Pictures on a Ceramic Tile. You could cut a 4.1 inch square .25 deep and I can print the Family Reunion PICTURE on Tiles. Then you inlay the Ceramic Tile with RTV. It is durable and when done on Coffee Cups is dishwasher safe.

Make a 6 x 6 TRIVET too with the picture too.

AL

cestout
05-26-2009, 04:21 PM
How about a contrasting inlay, sand it flush and carve it again.
Clint

jwhllh55
05-26-2009, 04:36 PM
You need to do the recessed text as a new project (hide the carving and text that is already completed). Make sure your machine is set to manually jog to position, and when the machine asks you to jog to that position, jog to an area within the recess. The machine will think your board is .1" thinner and carve the centerline as if the recess is the top of the board.

Please note, CW advises against this, though it has been done and you should have no problem at .1". I carved centerline in a carve region at .2" on the project below without a problem.

http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16273&d=1223732937

That is a nice idea, too!

I was blessed with my grand daughter this morning and I'll get on it this afternoon. I assume the command is on the machine for the manual jog. I will check it out later.. Thanks a ton.
John

www.go3d.us
05-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Can you go any deeper? on the map and the text?

jwhllh55
05-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Can you go any deeper? on the map and the text?

Yea, I guess I could go deeper. The board is 1 1/4 thick. There will be rubber feet on each corner.
I am wondering why your asking now...?
John

Lin
05-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Since you could go deeper...using the state plus raster lettering...how about this?
Lin