PDA

View Full Version : Calibrate sensors

earlyrider
05-25-2009, 10:44 PM
When I ran the calibrate sensors, the machine cut the notch to "find board thickness", then milled a couple inches (around 1/8" off the edge)on the guide side and then moved to the keyboard side to mill off a corresponding amount. I didn't have the guide tight against the wood ( around 1/32 or more clearance). As the machine made the cut on the keyboard side, it looked as if the force being applied by the cutting (.375) bit moved the board over to contact the guide. Did this render any data collected corrupt? Do I need to do it again with the guide snug (not enough to bind)? What is the purpose of making the cut on the keyboard side? :?
Ron

Pratyeka
05-26-2009, 10:44 AM
When I ran the calibrate sensors, the machine cut the notch to "find board thickness", then milled a couple inches (around 1/8" off the edge)on the guide side and then moved to the keyboard side to mill off a corresponding amount. I didn't have the guide tight against the wood ( around 1/32 or more clearance). As the machine made the cut on the keyboard side, it looked as if the force being applied by the cutting (.375) bit moved the board over to contact the guide. Did this render any data collected corrupt? Do I need to do it again with the guide snug (not enough to bind)? What is the purpose of making the cut on the keyboard side? :?
Ron

The board must not move during calibration, that will induce errors. Check the head pressure. Use softer wood, or cover the bottom of the board with duck tape evenly so that the board will not slide on the belts. Measure the thickness of the board including the duck tape.

Digitalwoodshop
05-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Is the head level?

AL

earlyrider
05-26-2009, 11:39 PM
I think I'll redo the calibration. The board was maple with masking tape on the brass wheel side only. Had to measure thickness with a tape, as the calipers were at work (a silly place for them). I think the roller pressure is good (haven't actually measured yet, but normal 5-6 clicks and no error msg). Likewise the head moves up and down with no binding or other symptoms. Prognosis: Hard wood with too little coefficient of friction with the sand belts, poorly gapped guide, and too crude thickness measurement. Treatment: Recalibrate with a softer wood, freshly milled and jointed, and measure with a digital vernier caliper after application of masking tape to both bottom edges (near and far keyboard).
The rollers may also have been dusty.
Doctors, do you concurr?;)
Ron

Pratyeka
05-27-2009, 04:16 AM
Sounds good! What version software do you use?

earlyrider
05-27-2009, 09:20 AM
The current one, 1.134