PDA

View Full Version : Belt Calibration

mfdchief
05-25-2009, 07:11 PM
After spending the weekend away from the machine, I got a 3/8 jointing bit and proceeded to follow the prompts for doing a new belt cal. I used some suggestions from LG for a board size as a starting point and then stumbled through the rest myself. With a 48" board loaded, and going through the motions of measuring the board, the prompt comes up "board must be at least 36 inches" I am thinking I have a board sensor problem but not sure. I did the board sensor test, using the white paper and only got a number of 52. The only thing I have changed are the belts, using the .100 shims under the squaring plate and the smaller o-ring on the brass roller. The machine had been running fine up until I tore a belt and decided to replace them with the hybrids. That is when I started getting a "scale to length" prompt (see previous post by me on this). Any ideas guys?? Thanks

Mark

DocWheeler
05-25-2009, 07:39 PM
mfdchief,

It sounds as though your board is not contacting the brass sensor well enough to turn it all the time. My thoughts on testing this would to use something straight and thin like a yard-stick on edge to see if it deflects the brass roller downward when you place it above the rubber O-ring.

Just a suggestion.

mfdchief
05-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Doc,

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked out the deflecting of the brass roller and it does indeed move down when a board is in place. I even face jointed a board flat enough to "suction" itself somewhat to the jointer table and re-ran the belt cal and got the same message. I then tried a calibrate sensors and it appears to do what I expected from the belt cal function. It carved a notch on the board edge opposite the squaring plate, repositioned and I then got an x axis stall error, 400 I believe. I think am going to call tech support tomorrow. Thanks again Doc.

Mark

lovejoys
05-25-2009, 09:59 PM
" I tore a belt and decided to replace them with the hybrids"

do you mean the new rubber ones

some where I think you will find info on this with the new belts hitting

mfdchief
05-25-2009, 10:04 PM
lovejoys, Yes I was refering the the new rubber/kevlar belts. I have read every thread I could find on the issue but my problem does not seem to be covered. Hopefully tech support can help me out or I may just send the machine back for LHR to check out.

Mark

mfdchief
06-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Well RATS!!! I got my new board sensor and right away got a test reading of 155 and I'm thinking well this was my problem all along. I tried the cal belts function again and still get the "board must be at least 36 inches" message. It is actually 48 inches, nice and flat with masking tape for good measure.

Does anyone know if there is a sequence or order that you are suppose to follow when in the calibration mode? I was thinking perhaps I am getting the cart before the horse in my sequence. Thanks.

Mark

supershingler
06-01-2009, 07:42 PM
i seem to recall that they are having problems with the calibrate belts

if i recall they said not to use this for machine calibrations

ill look and see if i can find the post

kendall

mark pm me your email address i have a fire dept plaque you might like to carve
that i did for a friend of mine

mfdchief
06-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Kendall,