PDA

View Full Version : Help with small font in Centerline

Steven Alford
05-24-2009, 12:31 PM
I am trying to make a trade mark logo that I can carve in an inconspicuous place on the projects I do. Has anyone done this and with which font did you do it? I have attached the .mpc if some of you experts would like to play with it and make it better for me. Much appreciated!!!
Also, many have suggested using a draft on the fonts to make them carve better. in my sample the draft choice is not available. Is this because the font is too small?

DocWheeler
05-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Steven,

I have used Black Chancery since the git-go. I tell it 90 degree bit in Designer to limit the depth, but insert the 60 degree bit to limit the width when it carves.

Since I have not tried anything else, I may not be even close to doing it the "best" way.

AskBud
05-24-2009, 12:40 PM
I am trying to make a trade mark logo that I can carve in an inconspicuous place on the projects I do. Has anyone done this and with which font did you do it? I have attached the .mpc if some of you experts would like to play with it and make it better for me. Much appreciated!!!
Also, many have suggested using a draft on the fonts to make them carve better. in my sample the draft choice is not available. Is this because the font is too small?

There is no "Draft" option on Centerline as it is a "V" cut. Draft is for raised cuts.
AskBud

Steven Alford
05-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks Doc, another bit of good advice!!
I like the part about tricking the machine with the 60 degree bit.

And thanks Bud, that answers the Draft question.

Steven Alford
05-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Bummer!!
I have a lot of fonts but I don't have Black Chancery, anybody have it to share??

DocWheeler
05-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Steven,

Here (http://www.dafont.com/black-chancery.font) is a site to get it from, there are others.

Steven Alford
05-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Thank you!!

Steven Alford
05-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Well, I tried Black Chancery and other fonts but it still comes out unreadable even in a 3" circle. Any suggestions?
How do you tell a centerline text cut how deep to go? Or can you?

badger
05-24-2009, 06:09 PM
If you are going to do multiple projects I would consider a metal stamp burner with your logo.

Plenty of sites make them. Might as well use all the tools in your shop.

http://www.brandnew.net/estore/shopexd.asp?id=21

Steven Alford
05-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Very good idea badger.
That is probably something I will do when I can afford it. Until then I think I will stick to doing it with the CW. It gives me the practice!!

So, anyone have an idea on the best font to use?

cestout
05-24-2009, 10:24 PM
First, thanks Ken - very nice font. I print labels using Print Shop that match the Business Cards that I print. This way I have flexibility. I am just getting started, but I have a deal with a local Postal Annex. For stuff thru him, I replace my e-mail and phone number with "Sold through Postal Annex at Perris Crossing" I am going to try to make similar deals with local feed stores. This way, if they are not in close proximity - and not much is where I live - I can tell them what I have to get and they can add their share and they handle the money, or offer a % for referrals. Only one sign thru postal annex so far, but times are hard are people don't spend on trivial stuff right now.
Clint
Clint's Custom Carving

AskBud
05-25-2009, 09:57 AM
I think, by the original post, that he wants this entire set as small as possible and still readable.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=91801&postcount=1

Steven Alford
05-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks Bud, that is exactly what I want. Do you have an answer for me? Surely with all the experts out there someone has an answer. HELP!!!
I have tried several fonts but the problem that I am running into is that when you use Centerline, the WYSWYG is not what you get!! On the screen it looks great but it carves terrible. I do not won't to make a hundred samples looking for just the right font, big waste of wood.

Lin
05-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Using the 60 degree bit I have use this font for small lettering using centerline...maybe not small enough for what you are after but you can take a shot with it.
Lin

Steven Alford
05-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks Lin, I will give that one a try.