PDA

View Full Version : My latest project

Steven Alford
05-23-2009, 08:55 PM
I have finally got it worked out. I thank those who helped me understand the 7" rule. Especially DocWheeler.
This is a Bonsai Tool Box (Japanese Tansu). The black thing on the top is a turntable. You can't see it in the pics, but on the inside is a 3/8 dowel that goes from right to left that you hang rolls of wire on that is used for wiring up your Bonsai tree. Then there are holes in the back of the box that the wire is feed through so that the wire is accessed from the outside of the box. You just pull and cut off how much you need.
I made three in this run and will start on four more next week. I have orders for these coming out my "^&*&%". !!!!

PCW
05-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Steven

Looks like you nailed it. Was the turntable done as well on the CW?

Steven Alford
05-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks.
No, the turntable is plastic. I ordered them online. I would have tried to carve something but I think it would add to my cost and make it hard to add to the selling price.

PCW
05-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Steven

Honestly it doesn't matter it's a fine looking chest. Love the joints it gives it the old traditional feel and look. How did you do the inlays?

Steven Alford
05-23-2009, 10:08 PM
"old traditional feel"

That is what a Japanese Tansu is. A chest made by hand with hand tools. Even though I made it the modern way with a saw and a CW!!!

I purchased the inlay from Woodcraft. They sell several styles in widths from 1/8" to 1/2" that are about 4' long. I believe they are around $8.

DocWheeler
05-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Steve,

Good looking project, and practical too.
I really like your box joints, I've never made them.

And, I'm glad that I was able to help you overcome the information block on the 7 inch thing.

Steven Alford
05-23-2009, 10:20 PM
I do thank you for your help. I probably would not have had such a problem if I had not tried so hard to understand it. It is quite simple when it finally sinks in!!!!
The dovetails are a lot of fun once you get it figured out. The problems is, if you don't make a lot of them you forget how!! Then you have to go back to the owners manual and read all over again how to make them.

James RS
05-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Ok I got to ask when you applied the finish did you " wax on then wax off method"
Mr Miagi would be proud. That is a great looking job!

TerryT
05-24-2009, 08:57 AM
Interesting mix of materials. Ambrosia maple drawers with oak doors, what did you use for the sides and top?

It looks great.

Steven Alford
05-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Terry you are good!!
The top and sides are Maple.
The next set I make I am going to try to use all maple.