PDA

View Full Version : Pratyeka's basket weave

DocWheeler
05-23-2009, 05:10 PM
I finished my part of this project (window seat/shoe storage), my wife has yet to make the top cushion.
The cabinet makers (Paul, Jerry, BJ, and others) may take me to task over my construction, but I feel pretty good about it. The side-mounted slides gave me the most usable height, but left no "play" room. three quarter material was over-kill but made it stronger when letting the bottom into them.

I wanted it to match the poplar closet doors, that is why I made them of poplar. Zar Spanish oak with poly over it like the rest of the house.

The pattern worked very well for me, and the finished product was exactly the size in designer, I was worried since I had no room for error in the design. Of corse photo #2 shows where I sanded a little to much, but who's keeping score?

The "just carved" drawer-front in the forth picture shows that I really did not leave enough material for the rollers - my bad! Those are the drawers standing behind the two drawer-fronts. It also shows my machine's problem with the Y direction, it sometimes carves in the middle and sometimes it doesn't!

SteveEJ
05-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Absolutely Beautiful Doc! My wife wants one!

Steve

Kenm810
05-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Hey Ken nice work,

Looks like a Million Bucks, First Class.
One project off the list, and add two more! :razz:
Keep it up and Thanks for Sharing your Photos.

liquidguitars
05-23-2009, 05:31 PM
very nice has a cool baker kohler interiors look to it !

LG

SteveEJ
05-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Doc,
How long did each drawer front take to carve and whar were the settings? Best/Optimum..

Thanks,

Steve

Pratyeka
05-23-2009, 05:55 PM
My jaw hit the floor... Beautiful! I haven't tried this pattern myself, it's nice to see it come out so well, looks like a real basket weave. Thanks for the pictures.

DocWheeler
05-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Steve,

I did one on Best (5.5 hrs) and three on Optimum (8.25 hrs).
Of interest, with bit optimization at None, Optimum estimated 10.75 hrs.

I thank you all for your kind comments!

SteveEJ
05-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Doc,
Any real difference between Best and Optimum?

Thanks,

Steve

DocWheeler
05-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Steve,

Normally it makes very little difference on poplar, but with so much detail, sanding this pattern is a chore; so I preferred the Optimum.

For the record it is weave 04 (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10553&page=2), the drawer-front is 25.375 X 7.68" and each pattern is 1.98 x 2.075".

fwharris
05-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Ken,

Great job on all of it! Looks like real basket weave. Wife should be very proud!

will george
05-23-2009, 06:52 PM
I just loved the work. Very special...

AND your..
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
I must be sicker than I thought I was!

twiceretired
05-23-2009, 07:18 PM
That is beautiful! and cool too, leave the basket weaving in our old age to the cc.

PCW
05-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Ken

That really came out nice. The finish is a perfect match for the pattern.

jpeter14
05-23-2009, 09:41 PM
That is a very nice job and practical as well. The finish is very nice, wouldn't expect less from you though.

James RS
05-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Steve,

Normally it makes very little difference on poplar, but with so much detail, sanding this pattern is a chore; so I preferred the Optimum.

For the record it is weave03 (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10553&page=2), the drawer-front is 25.375 X 7.68" and each pattern is 1.98 x 2.075".

How did you get the pattern to tile out in layout evenly?

MCGEE2SKINNER
05-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Looks great to me.
JIM

DocWheeler
05-24-2009, 09:04 AM
James,

The pattern is repeated 56 times on the mpc and the far-right column is rotated 180 degrees where I was in hopes of having it fit the "frame" like it did on the left. For some reason the right end did not fit like the left, so I just sanded off the pattern that stuck through.

I made several mpcs (7 to be exact) before feeling comfortable with the result -actually, the last one only changed the circles used where the hardware went. Only three were done from scratch using different sized patterns to compare the results. After you make one, you kind of get a feel for it and stop trying to take shortcuts that come back to bite you.

I did the top row, saw how it matched the ends, adjusted the size of the fourteen patterns by the number I calculated, and changed the horizontal attachments. Then I did the left column and adjusted the height in a similar manner, and then just filled in the rest of the copies. It would have been a little less work if I had the heights right before doing a row - but that is part of the learning process!

If you blow up the image, you can see if you have the overlap right. And, you might as well get use to doing it right away and attach all four sides of each pattern to make sure that it stays where you want it.

RayTrek
05-25-2009, 08:10 AM
Hello Ken,
That is beautiful - I enjoy your projects and the detail you put into them
Thanks
Ray

Eagle Hollow
05-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Ken,
You definately hit a home run with this project. The only difference in the construction part is all my drawers are dovetailed. Your patience in the design end leaves me reeling. Thank you for sharing you pictures,design proceedures and construction methods. You have a place on my Heroes list!

LollyWood
05-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Doc,
That is one of the best project applications I've seen. (IMHO) The versatility of this gizmo is only enhanced when used by an outstanding craftsman like yourself. Top shelf work Sir.