PDA

View Full Version : Making a chair - how

kevinsmithrn
05-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Hello,

I've been enjoying my carvewright for almost a year now and I wanted to try a project to really impress the ms's by making an adiriondack style chair with carved pieces. I found a nice DIY design which has been passed around on the net for years. The plans are in individual bitmap files with individual pieces laid out designed to be transfered to wood and cut out with a jig/band saw... the pieces are then to be routed and assembled into the chair. I am sure our machine can do both the cut-out and route job with more precision than a jig-saw-- anyway my problem is with designer - is there a way i can make these templents in designer and then cut-out and rout the pieces in one project? I am uploading a file of one of the pieces/ there are 10 seperate pieces to be cut - if there is an interest i'll upload all of them and maybe we can create a project others would like to try...

kevin

rickyz
05-23-2009, 06:29 AM
I use this technique to cut out parts all the time. I am sure there are better ways to do it but this is what I do. I downsize the paper pattern until it will fit in my all in one printer so I can scan it into designer. then I just load it in, make a pattern out of it, adjust in pattern editor to make sure I can make a cut path with it and then adjust the size in designer. hope my description makes sense. I posted a few pictures on the site and used this technique to copy my patterns into designer to cut out parts. I can post some pictures if you like. I am working on a advent calendar for christmas where I have to cut 24 little boxes. very time consuming be hand. so i let the carvewright do the work for me. works great.

Ken Massingale
05-23-2009, 06:31 AM
Are you wanting to do templates or the actual chair parts with the CW?

I use templates like these (http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=836267&FamilyID=20116)

Attach the templates to the stock pieces with double stick tape, saw around the template about 1/8" proud, them route with a pattern or flush trim bit.

In less than 2 hours all the pieces are ready to assemble. I can imagine cutting all the pieces with 3/4" stock would take many hours on the CW.

Digitalwoodshop
05-23-2009, 07:55 AM
You could open a board in designer and use the grid function and set it to 1 inch. Using the line drawing and connection tools you can make a cut path, hand drawing it.

Or like said above, make a pattern and import it then use it as something to trace with the hand drawing tools. Make sure to connect all the nodes and the last to the first.

AL

HighTechOkie
05-23-2009, 09:02 AM
I think the best approach is as Al suggested and just redraw it in Designer. Getting dimensionally accurate traces from the drawings is the tricky part. I'd like to see the full set of plans. I have a couple ideas to try. If you have problems posting the plans, you can email them to me at: rob (at) slaughterbeck.net

Ken has the right idea on using templates. You then have them for when a friend or family member asks you to make them one.

Rob

Digitalwoodshop
05-23-2009, 10:24 AM
For scale factor you could take the picture of the pattern parts all set side by side and make a .ptn from it and apply a 1 inch grid over it and use that pattern for a tracing guide.

Being able to keep all pieces the same scale lets you build a chair that fits.

AL

rickyz
05-23-2009, 10:55 AM
i agree, if you have access to a router, and other woodworking tools, templates are the way to go.

Digitalwoodshop
05-23-2009, 11:09 AM
I believe this would be a GREAT POM.... A resourceful person taking the time to lay out all the cut path files to make each part of the chair. That lets you have the ability to cut patterns into each board like bears and deer or logos.... OR.... You cut a pattern board with the CW and keep the Source board as a sled for later. With the pattern you now lay that on your project board and using a flush cut hand held router or router table. This makes QUICK work of cutting the pattern for the board what you then "MASKING TAPE" into the source board sled. You then add your ARTWORK to the flush cut board.

You make a separate source board sled for every piece used to build a chair.

Imagine all the fancy stuff you can do to a chair making them FLY OFF the SHELF at Craft Shows....

POM..... Please....

I may just design a chair for myself for sitting along the Brook near our house but in a Higher and WIDER version.... For the Full Figured GUY..... Wide Body.... I never was a fan of the low chairs.....

AL

HighTechOkie
05-23-2009, 11:20 AM
I may just design a chair for myself for sitting along the Brook near our house...

Come on Al, the only person you're foolin' is yourself. When would you ever have time to sit and enjoy that chair? :mrgreen:

Rob

kevinsmithrn
05-23-2009, 12:37 PM
I agree about the project idea... I think alot of people would find hand carved patio furniture a great addition to their porch or yard. I love the grid idea I hope it will work. I've looked around the internet and found a great design for an adirondack inspired chair. It's big roomy and designed for stability. There is a footstool with it for an accessory. The plans are public domain and have been circulated and tweaked for years. The designer only asked that if units were made for sale that the Jakes chair name always be used to honor the North Carolina Judge who first built the chair. I will upload the zip file and see if some of you guys would like to see if we cant make a go of creating a community project of sorts. The only problem I think would be the back slats and getting the radius cut correct as it is to wide for the machine.. but I guess we could do it in sections. I agree the templets idea is the way to go for production purposes but the sled idea with carvings of fish and bears would be incredible. Lets work on this.

Kevin

kevinsmithrn
05-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Well I guess the zip file is to large to upload to the board. here is the ink to the webpage - all the info and plans are here.

www.jakeschair.com

thanks

kevin

PCW
05-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Al

Nice beaver shot. Sounds like your friends are bank beavers. Sometime the beavers work in your favor when they back up the water just as long as the water does not get to close to you house.

If we could just train them to use all the wood that they cut.

Eagle Hollow
05-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Al,

You can have my carvers if I can have your pond!

Love the "lucky" missile shot.

Kenm810
05-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Hey Al,

Great photos, I have to admit, I also spend a little time each week
watching some of Natures creatures traveling up and down the Creek behind our house.
I got in the habit of keeping one of my cameras near the back door.
Here's an odd couple, with their seven little ones, that I snapped some photos of this past Saturday. :smile:

fwharris
05-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Al & Ken,

Only a few things to say:

I HATE THE CITY!

You can take the boy out of the country buy you can not take the country out of the boy!

Great pictures and your both are so lucky to live in God's backyard! Thanks for sharing!!

DocWheeler
05-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Fw,

I spent many years next to the "Big Muddy" creek, even built a home close to it so my kids could experience it.

Given my circumstances, I had to bring a little of that to my "in town" home. Here is a 12 second video (http://sharing.theflip.com/session/0e0715f346eb63d208e60d69e051dfac/video/4271019) that I shot with a Flip video, the sound is really nice while sitting on the deck.

No beavers, but some fish and frogs.

fwharris
05-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Fw,

I spent many years next to the "Big Muddy" creek, even built a home close to it so my kids could experience it.

Given my circumstances, I had to bring a little of that to my "in town" home. Here is a 12 second video (http://sharing.theflip.com/session/0e0715f346eb63d208e60d69e051dfac/video/4271019) that I shot with a Flip video, the sound is really nice while sitting on the deck.

No beavers, but some fish and frogs.

Doc,

Thanks for the video, looks like a great place to sit back and enjoy.

I have my own little "country place" in the city too!

DocWheeler
05-26-2009, 07:33 AM
FW,

Very nice hide-away, you have more trees in your front yard than we have.

I needed to pass on that my wife was upset by my posting that video when it was too early in the year for the plantings to be up. That was my first use of the Flip when I got it in April. I just stuck my arm through the deck-rail and took that shot - nothing special.

fwharris
05-26-2009, 08:57 AM
FW,

Very nice hide-away, you have more trees in your front yard than we have.

I needed to pass on that my wife was upset by my posting that video when it was too early in the year for the plantings to be up. That was my first use of the Flip when I got it in April. I just stuck my arm through the deck-rail and took that shot - nothing special.

Ken,

Tell the wife that you just needed a before video so you can do an after to show the difference. My wife says our place is getting over grown, I say it is just starting to get about right!