PDA

View Full Version : Do you really need locktite for the QC?

Rocky
05-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Since the bit rotation is clockwise (viewing from the top of QC) and the QC threads are standard right-handed, why is it necessary to use locktite? Won't the QC remain on securely just by the fact of its rotation?

rjustice
05-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Since the bit rotation is clockwise (viewing from the top of QC) and the QC threads are standard right-handed, why is it necessary to use locktite? Won't the QC remain on securely just by the fact of its rotation?

Due to the amount of torque you can get on the square bit i wouldnt trust it. there is enough vibration from balance issues along with runout that will eventually cause the chuck to "break loose" causing enough other problems that it isnt worth it.

The Rock chuck is able to be torqued much tighter because you can use the two thin wrenches and "Jam" the threads against each other. The runout is far less, and the balance is much better.

My 2 cents!

Ron

Rocky
05-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Due to the amount of torque you can get on the square bit i wouldnt trust it. there is enough vibration from balance issues along with runout that will eventually cause the chuck to "break loose" causing enough other problems that it isnt worth it.

The Rock chuck is able to be torqued much tighter because you can use the two thin wrenches and "Jam" the threads against each other. The runout is far less, and the balance is much better.

My 2 cents!

Ron
Good points, thanks.

Rocky
05-23-2009, 05:39 AM
It is the De Acceleration with a bigger bit that can cause UN Screwing..... There have been a few posts here with the backing off of the QC....

I don't agree with red but I use blue.... And we know I CAN BE WRONG.....

LHR Trumps a old Want-a-Be Technician.... ie... Digitalwoodshop.... LHR holds your warranty and you must follow LHR's instructions. I am just a Glorified User with no social life except this Forum... Snicker....

I am so far behind in orders I blew off 2 Craft Shows this weekend.... I am 5 weeks behind.... Mostly Fire Stuff and 5 signs...

AL

Thanks for the feedback. I drool when I see your shop and the TOOLS.

Rocky
05-23-2009, 05:53 AM
I'd like to clean all the loctite (or whatever LHR uses) from the threads that the QC screws onto. What is a good cleaner/solvent to use? I ordered a Rock chuck, and I'd like to "start fresh" with clean threads when I use more Loctite.

Thanks,

Digitalwoodshop
05-23-2009, 07:43 AM
I like the Rock You Tube video using a scribe and wire brush.

AL

PCW
05-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Hi Rocky

I used a knife and ran around the treads to loosing up the cement then came back with a brass brush for a final cleaning. This treads cleaned it up pretty good.

I choose not to use the loctite on my new install of the Rock Check because like Ron mentioned that the two half's of the chuck when tightened down act like a jam nut. I will monitor it for a while till I feel more comfortable with it.