PDA

View Full Version : Board Sensor, Edge sensor story of my life

lostinthefrost
05-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Seeking any good answers if anyone has them.

Was having edge detection issues. so just installed new, fresh board sensor and cable that came today, still getting a reading of "0"

When I pull the bus cable out (pic 1) I get readings all over the place, just testing it.

When I put it back into the board (pic 3) I get a solid "0". I know it's supposed to be between 100-200.

1. who has got the idea its the cable?
2. who has got the idea that it's that little board where the z truck motor and the board sensor plug in?
3. who has any better ideas?

Pratyeka
05-21-2009, 04:57 PM
are you placing something under the board sensor for it to read? Try moving something (your finger will do) withing 1/2" of the board sensor.

lostinthefrost
05-21-2009, 04:59 PM
I have tried a 15"x12" poplar, a 12"wide 48" long pine, and a few others just to check it. Still the same results

lostinthefrost
05-21-2009, 05:59 PM
it may be the circuit board. Didnt know if anyone has had the same trouble?

liquidguitars
05-21-2009, 06:00 PM
1. who has got the idea its the cable?

yes looks like you need a new one :)

lostinthefrost
05-21-2009, 06:02 PM
just got off the phone and ordered it. lets hope it does the trick. After that I may set fire to the machine (not really).

Digitalwoodshop
05-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Because boards can be all different colors get in the habit of placing a piece of white copy paper on the board with the head cranked down. All white paper is the same. So when I ask is your reading between 140 and 156 with white paper everyone can do the same test.

100 with popular could be a good reading.... Depends on the reflectivity of the wood color.

That 14 pin cable only plugs in one way, be sure it is correct. Remove the black cover and look. Be sure to replace the black cover or your cable will drape and snag on the equipment.

AL

lostinthefrost
05-21-2009, 08:04 PM
good advice thanks AL!!
I tried the cable both ways. When it was in there incorrectly it threw a z axis error. I am confident at this point it's the circuit board. I have replaced everything else around it. I will put things on hold until monday when I get that part.

I will try the white paper though..

mfdchief
05-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Not tryng to hijak your thread Lost but I am having similar problems. While waiting for parts I have been checking a few things. With the white papter test I get a best reading of 52. I had never checked it before as it always worked. Does this sound like a bad sensor all the sudden or possibly a poor connection? My problem goes back to replacing my belts with the new rubber ones.

Mark