PDA

View Full Version : qc question

supershingler
05-20-2009, 07:00 PM
ok just replaced my qc with a new one

put a new bit holder on carving and cutting bit

i did one 1 1/2hr carve in ash and i get bb marks and bit wiggle. it is like the qc is vibrating lose. i now have to stop the carve every 15 mins and check the bit to see if it is loose.

i just spent 160.00 on new bits holder and 2 new qcs. this is doing the same thing that my last qc did. my original one lasted 140 hrs now i cant get 2 hrs before problems.

i guess im frustrated

kendall

mabco12
05-20-2009, 07:29 PM
The RC ???

supershingler
05-20-2009, 07:45 PM
i just ordered a rock chuck so ill try that

but it wo uld be nice to see a solution to this problem

kendall

b.sumner47
05-20-2009, 08:01 PM
I put some 3-1 in the top of bit that I'm going to use an give it a few spins.Before that I take my pinkie with oil on each of the ears inside the Q C.I also keep pushing the QC up and down some more times, trying to get the lube around the working parts,don't use to much though.Somethimes I lift the outside of the chuck and push the the adapter in real good for a good seat,Take a mirror and see if the red marks are a lined underneath.Tug, pull,shake and make sure it's fully seated.Good Luck. Capt Barry

supershingler
05-20-2009, 08:06 PM
i do all that you said and wiggle wiggle wiggle

it is fine when i set up and starts but loosens up 15 min into the carve.

by the way barry did you get your manual from my daughter? where you happy with it? she asked me and i said i would as you

i have a board in the carver now with a new qc and a new bit holder and the bit was already starting to get loose. guess ill have to stop it every 10 min and push the collar down. when i do this the bit is tight as when i started. i cant understand why it wont stay tight

kendall

ironsides
05-20-2009, 08:16 PM
i do all that you said and wiggle wiggle wiggle

it is fine when i set up and starts but loosens up 15 min into the carve.

by the way barry did you get your manual from my daughter? where you happy with it? she asked me and i said i would as you

i have a board in the carver now with a new qc and a new bit holder and the bit was already starting to get loose. guess ill have to stop it every 10 min and push the collar down. when i do this the bit is tight as when i started. i cant understand why it wont stay tight

kendall

Did you apply thread cement to the new QC when you installed it.

ironsides:)

supershingler
05-20-2009, 08:18 PM
i used blue loc tite the qc is not lose on the spindle

it is the qc itself that cant seem to hold the bits solid. they losen up and start to wiggle after a few minutes of carving

kendall

ironsides
05-20-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm lost then to try to figure out your problem.
Perhaps the experts will be of some help.

Good Luck

ironsides

supershingler
05-20-2009, 08:23 PM
just went and checked the bit again....... yep starting to get loose.....starting to get bb marks in the holder.....
same old song and dance.

i dont feel any play in my z truck but maybe something is messed up in that.

i can tell by the sound when the bit is starting to get loose as the sound of the machine changes.

i cant afford to put in a new qc and new bit adapter before every carve

TerryT
05-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Please do not stick the bit in the chuck and let it click as LHR suggests. Hold the collar up all the way, stick the bit and adaptor in and let the outer ring snap down. Lift if up and let it snap again, you should feel the bit and adaptor turn about a 1/4 turn. Then it should stay locked.

supershingler
05-20-2009, 09:48 PM
thanks for everyones help

i just replace the qc with another new one

but new bitholders on my carving and cutting bits

ill let the locktite dry and try one on saturday

so far i have stuck 160.00 worth of bit holders and qc's in 180.00 worth of custom work so it looks like a low profit couple of weeks.

ive think ive tried everything to make the bits stay seated in the qc. click and double click. i check my qc and make sure the redmarks are lined up.

so im stumped.

maybe atuer will see this and let me know what else to try.

no more happy carving for me until i get this fixed. maybe ill just have to buy a fishing license lol.

thank everyone again

kendall

earlyrider
05-20-2009, 10:06 PM
I wonder if alot of the problems with the QC relates directly to the hardness of the bit adapters. If they are "hardened" in heaps, it would explain the randomness of 'some never having problems' and others where the BB marks show up almost instantly. It might be advantageous for LHR to test random samples of adapters and the corresponding wedge/sleeve in the QC for hardness. The Rockwell Hardness Testing machine is not particularly pricey or difficult to use; if they're not using it already, its a good way to hold the jobber's feet to the (hardening) fire.
Ron

hess
05-20-2009, 10:19 PM
i just ordered a rock chuck so ill try that

but it wo uld be nice to see a solution to this problem

kendall

SS I have the same problem but with both units. I ordered the RC last week. I'm replacing all my qc problem is I have extras no need to go thought replacing them just to ruin more stuff.

Had a bit come lose and break and came out of the unit on the fly. I will leave it at that and will be talking to someone over safety issues.

kinda fed up with 99 % of the problem is user error being thrown at me.

In thinking about that even if is was 99% user error that still leaves about 1400 units that are not do to the user!

Hess

TWOATLOW8
05-20-2009, 10:29 PM
earlyrider

Did a hardness test on the bit adaptors in the thread below
check it out real good info, i also took pictures

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=11515&highlight=harness+tester