PDA

View Full Version : Image Format Question (thanks in advance!)

CypressMoon
05-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Greetings from Texas!

My name is Russell Wilson. I'm sorry to bother y'all with my simple question, but I don't anything about the CarveWright.

I design t-shirts and sell porch swings online. I have a friend that makes the porch swings and has told me that he uses a CarveWright to engrave on them. I've got some designs that I want him to put on the swings, but know nothing about the CarveWright machine (except that it looks really cool!), or the design software it uses. I do know about graphics and file types. What is the best type of file for me to send him so that he can easily use it on the CarveWright? Would an EPS file work? They are simple designs, nothing detailed. He knows nothing about vector or raster files. In fact, he was telling me how much trouble he was having when he took an image off of the web and tried to use it with the machine. I told him that it was probably a small jpg, or something, and that its resolution was being distorted because it was a raster image. I would GREATLY appreciate your wisdom in helping me with our situation. Thank you very much for your time!

russell wilson
cypress moon porch swings (http://www.cypressmoonporchswings.com/)

atauer
05-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Russell,

The software accepts any standard raster image files (jpeg, bmp, gif, png). For best results, I would recommend sending him a png file with a high resolution. PNG files tend to hold the original detail when re-sized.

BTW, are you going to buy a Carvewright now? You can do some pretty awesome things with it.

Kenm810
05-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Hi Russell,

Welcome to the CW Forum

If you check out this CW Site -- it has nearly all the info you might need.
http://www.carvewright.com/cms/downloads

Ps. You can down load the Trial Version of the CW Designer software for yourself to see how it really works

Digitalwoodshop
05-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Well you came to the right place. EPS don't work yet.

I would download the free designer program from CarveWright and go to the pattern section of this forum click on the paper clip and look at all the free patterns there are. Plus a few pay pattern sites have a great collection.

Making a pattern from a .jpg picture is the poorest way to make one as the quality of the .jpg kills the end result.

Read the tips and tricks and ask lots of questions....

AL

Like throwing a cracker in a pond... We all rush to investigate..... Snicker.... 3 more posts then 3000....

HighTechOkie
05-20-2009, 10:33 AM
If it is a simple line drawing where the router can follow the lines, I can convert that into a vector file for Designer. Send me an email with the .eps file and I'll see what I can do.

Rob
rob at slaughterbeck dot net

CypressMoon
05-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Thank y'all very much for your assistance! Rob, I'll probably give you a hollar via e-mail. rob at slaughterbeck dot net? Thanks!

russell

fwharris
05-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Russell,

Is your friend a member of the forum?? If not he should sign up!!!

CypressMoon
05-20-2009, 01:55 PM
No, he's not. However, I'm gonna tell him about it! Y'all are really helpful. I personally don't own one of the machines, but I can tell you that IF I can ever get enough coin together I will be getting a CarveWright. Do they sell used ones around here? Are they trustworthy? I don't know if they come in different size, but I don't really need anything more than a little desktop model.

russell

www.go3d.us
05-20-2009, 02:04 PM
If you want a transparent background then .png is the best. If you want non transparent background then .png and/or .bmp.
Never use .jpeg from the web because they has been compressed down too much.

HT