PDA

View Full Version : What is "Extract Patterns"?

cestout
05-19-2009, 04:46 PM
What is the function of the "Extract Patterns" tool? I tried the help index with no result.
Thanks
Clint

atauer
05-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Clint,

The extract pattern tool allows you to "extract" a pattern off of a file that some one has sent to you and save it into your software's pattern library.

cestout
05-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Thank you Alex.
Clint

atauer
05-19-2009, 05:32 PM
No problem Clint.

Anytime you got questions, just ask, whether it is here on the forum, calling in to the support team, or emailing us. We are always here to help.

cestout
05-19-2009, 05:53 PM
I opened a project, selected a pattern on the project and clicked Extract Patterns. A selector opened and asked for a name. I typed a name, clicked ok - the selector went away and that was it. What happened and what was I supposed to do?
Clint

atauer
05-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Clint,

When you named it, you were creating a sub-category within your "Favorite" list in your pattern library. The software moved the patterns to this new category.

cestout
05-19-2009, 05:58 PM
I opened a project and selected a pattern on the project, clicked "Extract Patterns" and a selector opened. I asked for a name which I provided, clicked OK - the selector went away and that was it. Where did the pattern go or was I supposed to something differently?
Clint

fhoward2
05-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Open Pattern tool and click on favorites and it should be in the file name you selected.

cestout
05-19-2009, 06:26 PM
I had looked there, so I went back an used search and still did not find it. I tried it with a different project and pattern, and still can't find it.
Clint.

AskBud
05-19-2009, 06:32 PM
I had the same roadblock, but I found it.
It does not appear on a system search.
However, if you bring up Designer and click on Patterns > Favorites you should see a new folder with the name you just typed in the box.
AskBud

atauer
05-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Bud,

That is exactly how it is supposed to work. I don't think that it works when trying to do it on any vector images, (line segments, etc.). Only one raster images, (patterns, carve regions, etc.).

AskBud
05-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Bud,

That is exactly how it is supposed to work. I don't think that it works when trying to do it on any vector images, (line segments, etc.). Only one raster images, (patterns, carve regions, etc.).

I understand. I was just pointing out what I found.
AskBud

Quote:
I had the same roadblock, but I found it.
It does not appear on a system search.
However, if you bring up Designer and click on Patterns > Favorites you should see a new folder with the name you just typed in the box.AskBud

cnsranch
05-20-2009, 10:40 AM
I asked this question before, and didn't really get anywhere - let me try again, 'cause this may be the problem Clint's having......

When I use the extract tool and save the patterns, they go into my Favorites, but as a sub category of another one - not as a sub of favorites. I have to open each category to find out where the darned thing was saved.

Take a look at the attached - it's a screenshot of three extractions that went into a sub-category I named "Animates".

It's the weirdest thing...

Clint, if you expand each category you have in Favorites, I'll bet you find the ones you extracted.

atauer
05-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Jerry,

I'm gonna take a look into that. Not sure why it is behaving that way. I haven't ever seen it do that. When I was testing it, it always went into its own category.

I'll report back with my findings.

cnsranch
05-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks, Alex - I can't imagine what kind of setting I've got wrong that would let it do that - but I'll bet that Clint's got the same phenom going on....

AskBud
05-20-2009, 12:23 PM
I can not say, for sure, but it may be caused by where the original pattern resided. So far, all my Extract(s) go to a new Folder as I name it, but I can see where the system might nest the Extract within the original folder.

However, you may move (Drag & Drop) the new image into the actual folder you wish.
What I do, is open the Folder where I want the new pattern to be (so all those images are listed) and then highlight the new image (which is outside of that Folder) and Drag it into the correct Folder. I may then delete the unused Folder.
AskBud

cestout
05-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Jerry was right. In my "Downloaded" folder I found folders (since I had tried several times) named the names I had given. In each folder were all the patterns from that piece. It evidently extracts all the patterns from a project - not the one you select. Now to figure out how to control where they are sent.
Thank you all, especially Jerry.

cnsranch
05-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Bud - maybe we're getting somewhere....

The only time I've used the Extract Pattern feature is with an mpc I've opened from the Forum. Now, the mpc hasn't been saved, it's just open. As you know, if you go and try to save an mpc that you've brought in from the Forum, it defaults to the "temp" file on the computer. You have to manually relocate it to where your projects folder is. Maybe that's where I'm having the trouble?

I'll test that and let you know.

cnsranch
05-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Nope, that didn't do it. I opened an mpc I got some time back from the Forum, extracted the patterns, it auto named them "cane", I hit ok, and they went into a sub folder.

Not a huge deal, but it is a pain to go and search for them after saving them.

boogeral
05-30-2009, 09:07 PM
I was reading some of the forums and seen a website for vectric.com software. was woundering if that software would work in the carvewright machine that I just ordered a couple days ago? sorry, I dont know anything about computers nor do I know anything about cnc machines but I am willing to learn. I hope I can find my way back to this site in hopes to finding a answer to my question.

Steven Alford
05-31-2009, 12:08 AM
Wow, seems like pretty awesome software but I can't see anything on their website that tells what kind of CNC machine it is compatible with.
Part of this software even does 3D sculpting!!
This is the only thing I could find that it said about exporting:

Export the 3D model as an STL Mesh for use in other CAD software packages.

Steven Alford
05-31-2009, 12:17 AM
It even has a software that is specific to doing lithopanes and it is only $149.
They have demo version downloads if any one is interested in trying them.

jab73180
06-01-2009, 12:16 PM
i have a quick question. if i buy a project in any of the stores, I can extract the patterns from that project to use on another project right?

thanx in advance

-Jason

fwharris
06-01-2009, 01:10 PM
i have a quick question. if i buy a project in any of the stores, I can extract the patterns from that project to use on another project right?

thanx in advance

-Jason

Jason,

You are correct on that one. Any patterns or projects you buy you can turn around and use them for any other projects you create...

jab73180
06-02-2009, 12:27 AM
thank you harris

-Jason