PDA

View Full Version : Scale to Length Issue

mfdchief
05-18-2009, 06:49 PM
I had been carving some 4ft by 2.5 in trim in a proper sled and did 14 peices without issue. On my 15th piece I tore a belt and decided to get the new kevlar belts for replacement. I went through the replacement procedure step by step, got everything back together and went to re-run my piece and upon measuring the board/sled, I get a "scale to length" prompt. Before I got a center on board prompt to which I alway said yes to. The scale to length prompt threw me but seeing no other choice other than to load a new board, I selected it and went through the rest of the board measurment procedure. Well, it did what I was afraid of and started the carve in my 3.5 in filler piece at the begining of the sled. I thought it was no big deal since I only had 2 peices left in my project but a 79% completion, the bit raised and skipped a section about 3/16 long and then begain carving again. I can salvage the piece but want to try to avoid the issue on my next piece.

I did see in an earlier post that someone mentioned you had to replace the o-ring on the board sensor when using the new belts but my directions did not mention that.

Any thoughts would be appreiciated. Thanks.

Mark

liquidguitars
05-18-2009, 06:56 PM
I did see in an earlier post that someone mentioned you had to replace the o-ring on the board sensor when using the new belts but my directions did not mention that.

I give LHR a call as I needed a smaller O ring for the belts.

LG

mfdchief
05-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks LG, were you having similar issues?

Mark

liquidguitars
05-18-2009, 08:10 PM
yes i needed a smaller O ring for the belt to work that fix it..

LG

mfdchief
05-18-2009, 08:26 PM
I checked the packaging that the belts came in and there was another o-ring in there that was smaller so I switched it out with the old one squared evervything back up and tried again, and I am still getting the scale to length prompt. I have aborted the project for tonight in hopes of some more ideas. Thanks.

Mark

liquidguitars
05-19-2009, 01:40 PM
What firmware are you using and is the CW measuring correctly now with the new o ring on a test board?

LG

Digitalwoodshop
05-19-2009, 04:54 PM
If nothing else after everything else fails do a Calibration...

Never done one.....

AL

mfdchief
05-19-2009, 08:20 PM
I am using the latest firmware, the same as before the belt change. I'm not familiar with doing a calibration so any help would be great. I am getting a shorter dimension, 44.075/48.00 along with my scale to length prompt. The 48.00 is correct. I never got that before with the previously successful carves. I have also been getting a "Check for Board Problem message occasionally also. Thanks for your responces.

Mark

liquidguitars
05-19-2009, 08:32 PM
A new calibrate belts or "cal belt" option is in the firmware just for this reason. but it can take a few try to get it to stick.

would be prudent to call LHR to have them walk you trough it first unless your a DIY guy.

You will also need a high quality 3/8 straight bit with the 1/2 shank , that you can get at woodcraft or LHRs store.

last time i did it went something like this..

With the 3/8 bit in the carvewright load a 48"x5x3/4 board and at the keypad select the calibrate menu, select 1 "reset" then run the "cal bet" program the unit will cut two 3/8 slots at 4" from the end of the board then the cw will ask you to measure in between the slots, wright down the measurement and input that information at the key pad. re check your measurements

LG

mfdchief
05-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks LG,

I will have to get the 3/8 bit and will order it tomorrow. Thanks again.