PDA

View Full Version : Quieter motor?

www.go3d.us
05-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Is there any quieter motor out there that can be replace the current loud motor in the CW machine? Maybe something like the one used in the dremel rotary tool?
HT

TWOATLOW8
05-18-2009, 03:24 PM
help me out here Doc

Maybe you can contest to a quiet motor ?

Hes got a balanced QC as said it was quieter. Not at quiet as a dremel but alot better..

I know with mine its a bit quieter, but said that before and no one believed me...

DocWheeler
05-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Sorry, I just signed on.

Yes, a balanced chuck will (did) reduce the noise/vibration considerably. I think that LHR is missing-a-bet by not balancing the QC (and holding tighter dimensions on the adapters). It would not add to the cost significantly, but would reduce wear and noise.

Using the 3/8" bit (with a balanced chuck) had about as much vibration as the stock bit had with the 1/8" bit. Carving text with the 60 degree bit had so little vibration that the ball on the crank did not move at all (it rotated some with the 3/8" bit cutting at .3" in pine.

cestout
05-19-2009, 12:42 AM
In my post about another CompuCarve repair story I tell how Sears gave me a new machine rather than repairing and calibrating my year and 3 month old machine. It is MUCH quieter - I don't know why - and my calibration problems are all fixed - back and front carvings line-up and cutouts don't drift. And on the new machine, the wire in the back corner, over the motor, is encased.
Clint

www.go3d.us
05-19-2009, 12:48 AM
Clint, is there any different in the new motor or QC in the new machine compare to the old one?

HT

Wilbur
05-19-2009, 07:23 AM
How long did it take for Sears to get your repairs done?

Wilbur

Digitalwoodshop
05-19-2009, 09:50 PM
I plan to mount my 2 CW's on wall hanging mounts and remove the cut motor and install it above and forward of the machine. The motor turned 90 degrees with the motor over the out feed table mounted to a bracket on the wall centered over the machine. Then the Flex will just droop down and not twist and move left and right. #3 on a cart.

Depending on the noise reduction, I might get a much quieter induction motor and mount the magnet and sensor on the shaft. I would use a relay that the old motor circuit would run. The Relay would run the line voltage to the new motor.

I think the flex would last longer.

As for the cooling of the electronics, the Down Draft could take care of that. I would also hook up a circuit that would turn on the dust collector when the cut motor is on. That way at bit change the dust collector shuts off saving electricity.

Move over RON.... AL's Aftermarket Cut Motors...... AACM..... Snicker.....

I would never do it because of the liability.... Electrical.... UL approval....

For my own unit YES.... Sell... NO....

AL

liquidguitars
05-20-2009, 01:46 AM
I plan to mount my 2 CW's on wall hanging mounts and remove the cut motor and install it above and forward of the machine. The motor turned 90 degrees with the motor over the out feed table mounted to a bracket on the wall centered over the machine. Then the Flex will just droop down and not twist and move left and right. #3 on a cart.

This one got my head scratching :mrgreen:

what about a water pump drive shaft.

LG

TIMCOSBY
05-20-2009, 02:09 AM
In my post about another CompuCarve repair story I tell how Sears gave me a new machine rather than repairing and calibrating my year and 3 month old machine. It is MUCH quieter - I don't know why - and my calibration problems are all fixed - back and front carvings line-up and cutouts don't drift. And on the new machine, the wire in the back corner, over the motor, is encased.
Clint

i had bought a second one from sears and it was much louder and vibrated diff than my original one which ran and still runs perfectly. that second machine had all kinds of gremlins and problems. ended up taking it back for a refund. why the diff?????? no clue.

cestout
05-20-2009, 01:21 PM
The only visible difference is the hi voltage wire in the back being encased. From the other posts, I guess it is the luck of the draw. Anyway, this one seems to be a good one. The old one I had replace about half of it. On the QC - a trick I found - when you install a bit and slide the ring back down, wiggle it down some more. Doing that I have 0 play in the bit.
Clint