PDA

View Full Version : Belt problems

jwhllh55
05-16-2009, 03:44 PM
I just replaced the sand belts on my machine a couple weeks ago and the belt nearest the key pad is trashed again. What's up with that? I can't afford to buy new belts every few hours of carving. I installed the belts just like the instructions say and the belts don't last very long.
I really could use some insight into why the belts don't last very long.
Thanks,
John

AskBud
05-16-2009, 04:23 PM
I just replaced the sand belts on my machine a couple weeks ago and the belt nearest the key pad is trashed again. What's up with that? I can't afford to buy new belts every few hours of carving. I installed the belts just like the instructions say and the belts don't last very long.
I really could use some insight into why the belts don't last very long.
Thanks,
John

Tell us about the damage.
Do you have tears, or are the belts rolling on the edge, etc?
Rolling
Long Stock:
Long stock, cupped, or uneven stock, that overhangs the machine will tend to cause the belt to migrate, especially on wide boards. I know, as I had that problem with a 14" board, but saw it happening and aborted the project. It even had a slight warp that could only be seen when you laid a flat bar on the board. No external rollers would ever solve those problems. I ended up cutting the stock to the actual size (+7) and the belts were fine.
Weak Spring
If one spring is weaker than the other, it could cause the belt to walk & roll as well.

If it is a tear, or something else, we need more data.
AskBud

liquidguitars
05-16-2009, 04:29 PM
The belts can last a long time unless you have something sharp on the wood or sled in the way.. "screws"

I think the Kevlar belts are a good upgrade as they should last 80% longer.

is some cases the belt will still work if the damage is not to bad and just at the ends. I got 1" off mine and it still works.

LG

jwhllh55
05-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Tell us about the damage.
Do you have tears, or are the belts rolling on the edge, etc?
Rolling
Long Stock:
Long stock, cupped, or uneven stock, that overhangs the machine will tend to cause the belt to migrate, especially on wide boards. I know, as I had that problem with a 14" board, but saw it happening and aborted the project. It even had a slight warp that could only be seen when you laid a flat bar on the board. No external rollers would ever solve those problems. I ended up cutting the stock to the actual size (+7) and the belts were fine.
Weak Spring
If one spring is weaker than the other, it could cause the belt to walk & roll as well.

If it is a tear, or something else, we need more data.
AskBud

There are not any sharp edges. The boards I was carving were 4.5" X 36". The springs look to be even and I check the belts before I start a new carving. I think the belts were just weak and fell apart. It looks like the edge near the joint where the belt is taped together came apart there. I think the belts are junk and someone is trying to same money, even if the belts cost more.
I may have to go to a stronger belt to solve the problem. Thanks,

DocWheeler
05-16-2009, 07:23 PM
jwhllh55,

Check to see if something has dropped down between the belts.
If it is any consolation, I had the same thing happen and I do not know the cause. I have not had a problem since then.

jwhllh55
05-16-2009, 08:32 PM
jwhllh55,

Check to see if something has dropped down between the belts.
If it is any consolation, I had the same thing happen and I do not know the cause. I have not had a problem since then.

Well, I took it all apart and there wasn't anything between the belt and the bed. However, the bed was really scared up. I polished it and cut the bad part off the belt and back in business.
I think the roughness and the flaw in the belt was the cause. I'll order some more belts and hope for the best. Don't understand the problems I am having.
I'm thinking of getting a Legacy machine and use the CW for the probe only.
Thanks,
John

liquidguitars
05-16-2009, 08:48 PM
I would like to program a guitar neck for that, I dig the table moving in z.

LG

jwhllh55
05-16-2009, 08:54 PM
I would like to program a guitar neck for that, I dig the table moving in z.

LG

Yea, I have been watching the videos of the Legacy and because it has five axis really would help my business. I would say that programing a guitar neck would be a piece of cake. I could see it carving the neck and the frets too.
I ready to make the change to a real machine. The CW has been a pain in the butt ever since I bought it. It was one of the early models and I have replaced it twice. I have replace almost every part in the one I have now, and still having problems. I don't think I'm the only one that is having all the problems. If you invest in a Legacy, let me know what you think.
John

bjbethke
05-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Yea, I have been watching the videos of the Legacy and because it has five axis really would help my business. I would say that programing a guitar neck would be a piece of cake. I could see it carving the neck and the frets too.
I ready to make the change to a real machine. The CW has been a pain in the butt ever since I bought it. It was one of the early models and I have replaced it twice. I have replace almost every part in the one I have now, and still having problems. I don't think I'm the only one that is having all the problems. If you invest in a Legacy, let me know what you think.
John
They do sell used units. I would like to update my machine, but I like my manual unit, it makes a great router table. It puts out more than 10 times the amount of wood chips as my CW and it uses a 3.5 HP router. It does require a lot of cleaning and you can't use oil type lube on it. I use a dry lube to keep things working.