PDA

View Full Version : oval boards

willh
05-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Is there any problen with carveing on a oval board? I have access to wine barrel lids and would like to try to carve on them. They are straight grained oak approx 3/4 thick and 26 across. I know that I would have to narrow the width to fit but the remaining arch is what i'm concerned about

cnsranch
05-15-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm pretty sure you're going to have to use a sled.

In fact, I'm sure you're going to - the brass roller needs to keep in contact with the board, and it won't if the board's not straight.

willh
05-15-2009, 04:45 PM
The lid would have straight sides for most of the board only the center section would be rounded (approx. 3 -4" on each end) would be oval. I was hoping that it would measure the board lenght as the lenght of the 2 straight sides and center on that putting the carveing in the center of the lid. I'm new at this under 20 hrs and only simple signs so far but looking forward to more interesting pieces.

jcorder
05-15-2009, 06:34 PM
The lid would have straight sides for most of the board only the center section would be rounded (approx. 3 -4" on each end) would be oval. I was hoping that it would measure the board lenght as the lenght of the 2 straight sides and center on that putting the carveing in the center of the lid. I'm new at this under 20 hrs and only simple signs so far but looking forward to more interesting pieces.

I don't think you would have a problem as long as you make sure you have the 7 inches to keep the ends under the rollers. So if the board is 30 inches long, you would have 23 inches to carve your design as long as you told it to center on the board.

Good luck
Jeff

DocWheeler
05-15-2009, 06:49 PM
willh,

I'm not sure that I am envisioning what you have correctly.
But, if the ends stick out past the end of the straight edge, you need to do something.

The machine knows the approximate distance between when the roller drops off the end of the board to the edge sensor. So the brass roller (X sensor) needs to have contact with the board when the roller drops off the end. (if that makes sense).

Simplest thing to do if ypou need something for the brass roller to rub against is a rail on the top edge that is the same length as your board,