PDA

View Full Version : Best wood for carving

jwblazek
05-15-2009, 12:02 AM
I am making a special gift. What is the best wood to use for a carving with some intricate details? Size is approximately 8 x 10

hess
05-15-2009, 12:38 AM
I like Red Cedar
Hess

want2b
05-15-2009, 06:12 AM
I've used a lot of woods, my choice depends on what I want the finished product to look like. Often I'm trying to match the other objects in a room, existing picture frames, window & door trim, etc. I also like red cedar for the brighter colorful natural finish, cherry and walnut can also provide a beautiful natural finish depending on the piece used. Oak will carve weel but tends to be plain unless stained. I wouldn't use any of the softer woods such as pine, fir, poplar, for detail as they tend to have a lot of fuzzies. Also use the Optimal setting for the carve, takes a lot longer but if you want detail and ease of cleanup it's the only way to go. I've also used some of the high density sign foam and it gives great detail and no cleanup but the finishing requires several coats of automotive primer and painting. Back to what type of product you want. Browse through the Gallery forum and you'll see about every type of wood & finish, might help in your choice.
Rick H.

mabco12
05-15-2009, 03:02 PM
I used a piece of redwood today and it came out very nice!!!:)

cnsranch
05-15-2009, 03:04 PM
For details, the harder, the better.

jcorder
05-15-2009, 06:40 PM
The best wood that I have used is walnut. It made a beautiful carve, all I had to do was put on the poly finish, no stain and I did not have to clean any fuzz. I carved it on optimum and it came out absolutely gorgeous. I posted a picture for you to look at.

Good luck
Jeff

jwblazek
05-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I'll head out to the hardwood section tomorrow and post what the carving looks like on Sunday. Again, tahks to all for the replies

newcarver
05-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Ive used everything from pine to walnut. Pine still hold my intrest due to the price of it. Have:-D some sanding to do with fuzzies but its not bad.

jwblazek
05-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Walnut carved beautifully and with a spray oil based urethane, it finished nicely too. Only problem I have is figuring out why the font did what it did. Note he "1939" and the "ask the" are either bold or cut deeper. The text appeas all the same in the project. Any ideas anyone?

AskBud
05-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Since the car carving appears normal, I would guess that the "V' bit slipped in the adapter.
AskBud

Icutone2
05-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Has anybody tryed to carve Ash? Just got a few pieces and was wondering how it carves.
Thanks for any answers
Lee

cnsranch
05-18-2009, 10:06 AM
I got a ton of t&g ash paneling from a remodel that I've been carving. The stuff's 30 years old, hard as a rock, and carves like a dream.

jwblazek
05-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the reply, but the bit did not slip as I repeated this phenomenon on a scrap piece of wood

Icutone2
05-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks! Thay look Great!
Lee

bjbethke
05-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Walnut carved beautifully and with a spray oil based urethane, it finished nicely too. Only problem I have is figuring out why the font did what it did. Note he "1939" and the "ask the" are either bold or cut deeper. The text appeas all the same in the project. Any ideas anyone?
Looks like your stain soaked in more on that side of the board. It looks like the "m" in man is also affected.