PDA

View Full Version : burning carving tip on Ultimate setting

Pratyeka
05-14-2009, 05:11 PM
My last three projects totalled just under 40 hours, the wood were beech and maple, and the setting was Ultimate for all. One carving tip turned black and it's last project was one pattern repeated 7 time on a board 26" X 7", depth at .750. The last 4 patterns were slightly shifted toward the keypad side of the machine, more and more with each successive pattern, for a total shift of about .25". I figured that was caused by the bit becoming dull and straining the Y motor.

It still finished the carve and each piece look fine. When I removed the bit, the first .5" had become dull, not even scratching my fingernail. There must have been close to 100hrs on that bit, so I put a new one and started another carve, a deer on a 12" X 10" X 1" maple. 7hrs on ultimate setting and the tip has become dark, not yet black. Still sharp, but I'm wondering if the slow feed rate on Ultimate is causing the bit tuip to overheat. I do get the smell of burning wood, but not so much. The wood does not show darkening or burnt spots anywhere.

My next project in hard wood I will carve at Best setting to see what difference it makes.

My big surprise was to see the machine had enough torque to carve with a dull bit through beech wood and still give a nice carving. Also it shows the rigidity of the modified RC chuck.

cnsranch
05-14-2009, 05:21 PM
I recently helped my son remodel his kitchen - all maple cabinets, etc. In cutting out the opening for his double wall oven, I smoked the whole house with a new carbide tipped circ. saw blade. Maple's hard as iron.

Pratyeka
05-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Right! Whenever I cut through that with a circular saw, I rub some paraffin on the blade, that makes it easier to cut and lessen friction = no more smoke. Too bad that doesn't really work on the carving tip, I tried.

Jeff_Birt
05-15-2009, 09:29 AM
You need to keep the bits clean, and they do wear out. Sounds like you have a dull bit.